Ask the Kiwi's

Options

Replies

• Dyl1789
    Dyl1789 Posts: 2,933 Member
    Options
    I thought they were??? that's what they told us in school! Anyway, they only in NZ, so all good bro
  • x_desertcolt_x
    x_desertcolt_x Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    What is a traditional Food dish?
    more of a style of cooking called Hangi or earth-oven. its just cooking in a hole in the ground but i like it.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    kimothy38 wrote: »
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    Same question I asked the Australian

Do you have a hard time understanding the accents of English speaking people from other countries? If so what ones?

New Zealand is an accent I have only heard on TV - Flight of the Conchords, and The Almighty Johnsons (which I watch with subtitles, lol).

I find the hardest accents to understand are Irish and Welsh. Had some hilarious times overseas. Conversely, I have Irish friends who find me hard to understand which I think is partly because NZers speak quite fast.

Yes, that is my problem I think, New Zealanders talk too fast! Plus I have never met anyone from there.

The hardest accents for me to understand are South African, Scottish, and New Zealand (I do love all of those accents tho!). If they all spoke slowly I think I might get it a bit better.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,443 Member
    Options
    more of a style of cooking called Hangi or earth-oven. its just cooking in a hole in the ground but i like it.

No ovens? :D

Are kiwis named after the bird or fruit?
  • x_desertcolt_x
    Options

you just throw your food on the sidewalk to cook in your ridiculous heat, right?
    very funny...the bird

• Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    What animals do you have a lot of? Any that are unique to New Zealand?

bunch of native birds but thats about it. only mammals are small bats and few species of dolphin...no snakes or venomous spiders...

What?? Really! Wow!

No raccoons, squirrels, deer, foxes, skunks, groundhogs...and to a lesser degree bears, coyotes, wolves?

Do you have mosquitoes? What are the most common insects there?
  • slimgirljo15
    edited July 2017
    Options

you just throw your food on the sidewalk to cook in your ridiculous heat, right?
    very funny...the bird

No..we use ovens :p one day if you work hard you can own one too
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Nah, we don't have an accent!! And we never talk fast....
    There is no ridiculous heat... temp today is an ambient 8c in Wellington and we had about zero summer.
    Kiwi - it's after the bird. The kiwi fruit came a lot later.

• x_desertcolt_x
    Options
    What animals do you have a lot of? Any that are unique to New Zealand?

bunch of native birds but thats about it. only mammals are small bats and few species of dolphin...no snakes or venomous spiders...

What?? Really! Wow!

No raccoons, squirrels, deer, foxes, skunks, groundhogs...and to a lesser degree bears, coyotes, wolves?

Do you have mosquitoes? What are the most common insects there?

we have possoms (pest), rabbits (pest) rats etc but all introduced. no native mammals except small bats.
    we have these http://www.nhc.net.nz/index/insects-new-zealand/weta/weta.htm
    and these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuatara
  • slimgirljo15
    Options
    Can you speak maori?
  • x_desertcolt_x
    Options
    Can you speak maori?

no, i cant. my family can or are learning. my grandparents generation where strongly discouraged speaking maori so it wasnt something i was brough up with.
  • x_desertcolt_x
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Vinehausen wrote: »
    I can. I am fluent in te reo Māori.

show off...my brothers are too
  • slimgirljo15
    Options

show off...my brothers are too

Why not you?

Thats awesome..
  • x_desertcolt_x
    Options
    i'll learn one day
  • slimgirljo15
    Options
    i'll learn one day

I just thought it was something learned from birth. Do you want your kids to learn?
  • x_desertcolt_x
    Options
    i'll learn one day

I just thought it was something learned from birth. Do you want your kids to learn?

like i said, my grandparents generation where strongly discouraged speaking maori...because it would be better for them in the "white world" if they didnt. didnt happen everywhere but thats why we never learned as kids...my oldest son is learning at school
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Ooohhhh.... @x_desertcolt_x I had a weta in my front porch yesterday. Warning to any travellers.... never leave your shoes or gumboots out as they make great hiding places for the weta, lol.