Opinions on Intermittent Fasting?

Options
13»

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    mulecanter wrote: »
    I've tried fasting and not fasting. I find the later works better. It's about controlling your psyche as much as anything. I find that when I get too hungry I can rationalize ANYTHING and end up eating too much later in the day. Better to keep the beast in the cage.

agreed. While I do skip breakfast (because I'm not hungry) if I'm busy or starving and I cant eat lunch the few times I "tried to make it" to dinner, I did not "make it to dinner" lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    willgt78 wrote: »
    willgt78 wrote: »
    It works. It's what I use to stay lean year around. IF is for health benefits and the weight loss/weight control is in my opinion a side affect. Note IF is not a diet there is nothing off limits, it doesn't restrict calories so your not starving yourself if done properly. Any questions add me and fire away.
    Good luck #mind_body_soul_mbs
    What benefits would they be?

Fasting allows for your digestive system to reduce inflammation from constantly working. This allows you immune system to focuse on it's main purpose recovery and regeneration. Fasting is the most researched form of eating. It has been proven to reduce the changes of obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disiese and cancer. Weight loss / maintenance is just a side affect in my opinion..

Lol...I did IF (16:8) by default for years because I never ate breakfast. I became obese eating this way...I also had hypertension when I was eating this way, and I was pre-diabetic.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    mulecanter wrote: »
    I've tried fasting and not fasting. I find the later works better. It's about controlling your psyche as much as anything. I find that when I get too hungry I can rationalize ANYTHING and end up eating too much later in the day. Better to keep the beast in the cage.
    Fasting is not eating. Not eating is starving. Nobody likes to starve. We all like to eat. Wehave to eat. But we shouldn't eat too much. Not eating all the time is one way to make it easier to not eat too much. Intermittent fasting doesn't mean not eating. It means not eating all the time. The idea behind it is to control your eating better, NOT to become so hungry that you end up eating too much.
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I fast from 10 pm to 7am. It works really well because then I can sleep through the night.
    This is true and illustrates why I find the term IF so ridiculous. Unless we eat in our sleep, we fast at night by default.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Once I break my fast, I'm constantly hungry. Increasing the length of my fast makes it easier to stick to my calorie goal.

There are no magical benefits for health or fat loss.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    lnmuse wrote: »
    thoughts/personal opinions/ etc on intermittent fasting??

I'm undecided about the health benefits that are often mentioned with regards to IF, but I do it as it is easier for me to maintain a calorie deficit by eating this way. I sometimes do the 5:2 especially if I know I'm going to have a heavy eating day during the week because of reasons. Otherwise I try to stick to eating only in the evening.

So IF works for me. I do have friends who really like having three meals a day evenly spaced out and that works for them. It's all good.

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Once I break my fast, I'm constantly hungry. Increasing the length of my fast makes it easier to stick to my calorie goal.

Same here. I can delay starting to eat for the day. No problem but once I start, I'm hungry.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Same here. I can delay starting to eat for the day. No problem but once I start, I'm hungry.

Yup, me three. It's like the first bit of food wakes up the "Feed me!" monster. :)
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    To each it's own, I lost 50 lbs eating 5 to 6 small meals every 3 hours, I'm up very early and as soon as I open my eyes I'm hungry so I listen and respect my body, and it sure has paid me back ;) Nothing extreme, no gimmicks or magic potions, I've been maintaining for 8+ years!
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I fast from 10 pm to 7am. It works really well because then I can sleep through the night.

Is that considered a "fast"? Isn't that just a normal sleeping pattern? I think IF is when you do 14+ hours of no eating.. I may be wrong?..
  • jwcsanders
    jwcsanders Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I do IF just because of my work schedule. I normally eat supper around 7 and don't eat again until noon or later the next day. I never realized some folks get so... aggressive over this. Lawd.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    kokonani wrote: »

Is that considered a "fast"? Isn't that just a normal sleeping pattern? I think IF is when you do 14+ hours of no eating.. I may be wrong?..

Methinks she was teasing. :)