Is the 8-10 rep range still OK?

Options
kmaf2018
kmaf2018 Posts: 124 Member
Hey all

I asked a question a few weeks about when to increase my weight, people recommended when I can do all my sets (4x) and reps of 12x with good form then increase weight and aim for 8x reps then aim again for 12x reps, increase weight, aim for 8x then 12x and so on....

However I find myself preferring the 8-10x rep range as opposed to 8-12x - is this still OK?

My goal is to lose fat which I'm doing on a calorie deficit but am enjoying getting back into weight training! I had a PT for 28x sessions until the end of March but couldnt afford to keep them up and I didnt have the confidence to go it alone until a few weeks ago, so the programme I'm doing is the one I did with my PT but this whole rep range is driving me insane haha! My PT used to vary my reps, they would be anything from 6-12 reps (never less than 6 and no more than 12), however I prefer just knowing what reps to do each workout but can I stick to 8-10x?

Thanks

Replies

• Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    The point of the rep range is to get maximum work out of your muscles and progress in a structured and efficient way.

Are you finding those last two reps a struggle still? Did you increase too soon? Most likely if you're failing at 10 and not on the 12th.

Stick to only moving up when the failure occurs on the 12th (or 13th) rep. Every lift before the failed one should be done whilst maintaining good clean form.

Remember fat burning is your primary goal according to your post. Don't worry about rushing back to those bigger weights, it'll all come with time and you'll be all the better for not rushing.
  • johnw83
    johnw83 Posts: 6,219 Member
    Options
    hi mate that's the best way to do it and yes 8 to 10 is very good rep range
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Short answer: 8-10 versus 8-12 = no difference.

Longer answer to qualify that statement. If 8-10 reps is becoming easy at a given weight then you have 2 options to progress, add weight or add reps (I suppose you could also add sets or change to exercise type or range but let's keep it simple). I would say that there is little difference in getting to, say 4 sets of 10 and then saying "I'm upping the weight next time" than doing 4 sets of 10 saying "I'm going to 4x12 next time".

I hear what your saying about the details driving you insane - I had a tendency to think that way and that is why I chose to follow an established strength program where the reps and weights are all part of the program. This means that, after a bit of work to establish the starting weights, I have a block of training (usually 4 weeks or so) where all my exercises, sets, and reps for each work out are laid out in a training plan. All I have to do it hit the gym and do what it says for that day in my plan. Takes all the thinking out of the actual work out.

This may be a better option for you? If so check out this thread for info on programs:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Yes 8-10 is great too, as long as you don't stop at 10 if you can do 12. The idea is those last reps have to be hard to complete. That's how you progress. You push as long as you can, even if that's 7 or sometimes 13 reps.
  • kmaf2018
    kmaf2018 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies.

Its great to hear people's opinions, I did try and speak to a PT at the gym today too (not my old PT) and she suggested I do the 5x5 routine but shes a powerlifter and I don't think that routine would work for me.

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    5x5 is a pretty good program for anyone with an interest in weightlifting and/or strength - not just powerlifters. And, if she's willing to work with you on getting your form of the lifts spot on, then I would highly recommend it.
  • jusjoking
    jusjoking Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    in the end, honest work is honest work. only you know how much honest effort something takes and if u r working hard or not etc.

The difference between 8-10 and 10-12 is teensy weensy
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    KMAF00 wrote: »

Its great to hear people's opinions, I did try and speak to a PT at the gym today too (not my old PT) and she suggested I do the 5x5 routine but shes a powerlifter and I don't think that routine would work for me.

It depends on your goal. If you're looking to get stronger efficiently (read: with the least amount of gym time) you can't beat a linear progression with sets of five and adding weight every session. A new trainee can do this for six months in a lot off cases and get a lot stronger in that time without injury.
  • Dazzler21
    Options

You say your goal is fat loss, 5x5 won't be super beneficial for that, however can assist it still.

My best friend has been a PT since school, he recommends 4 sets of 12 - 15 reps for fat loss, but obviously that's a dive in the amount of weight you'll lift.

I'd say stick with the target x+1 rep (Where X equals a minimum of 8 and maximum of 12) before moving up a weight class.

The decision is yours but this will just ensure you have the strength to step up with less of a stutter.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Dazzler21 wrote: »

You say your goal is fat loss, 5x5 won't be super beneficial for that, however can assist it still.

My best friend has been a PT since school, he recommends 4 sets of 12 - 15 reps for fat loss, but obviously that's a dive in the amount of weight you'll lift.

I'd say stick with the target x+1 rep (Where X equals a minimum of 8 and maximum of 12) before moving up a weight class.

The decision is yours but this will just ensure you have the strength to step up with less of a stutter.

There is no proper or best range or less beneficial range for fat loss. Fat loss is going to be dependent on the difference between the number of calories a person ingests and the number s/he burns throughout the day. There's not a material difference in the number of calories burned in a 5 rep set vs a 15 rep set.
  • Dazzler21
    edited July 2017
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

There is no proper or best range or less beneficial range for fat loss. Fat loss is going to be dependent on the difference between the number of calories a person ingests and the number s/he burns throughout the day. There's not a material difference in the number of calories burned in a 5 rep set vs a 15 rep set.

Not entirely correct. a 15 rep set is a hypertrophy range, which will increase the muscles mass. Increased mucle mass will result in a higher BMR. The median for this is an additional 15 calories burned a day for each 1lb of muscle mass gained. On a clean diet, that is lower G.I carb based and high on protein, that's calories from fat being burned for energy to fuel the muscles.

Therefore if you add on 10lbs of muscle, you are likely to be burning up to 150 calories a day extra. Whilst 5x5 is fantastic, the muscle growth takes much longer and as a result is less efficient at calorie and therefore fat burning.

Either way it is the OP's choice. Do they just want to lift heavy or lift heavy and increase their bodies calorie burning efficiency?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Not entirely correct. a 15 rep set is a hypertrophy range, which will increase the muscles mass. Increased mucle mass will result in a higher BMR. The median for this is an additional 15 calories burned a day for each 1lb of muscle mass gained. On a clean diet, that is lower G.I carb based and high on protein, that's calories from fat being burned for energy to fuel the muscles.

Therefore if you add on 10lbs of muscle, you are likely to be burning up to 150 calories a day extra. Whilst 5x5 is fantastic, the muscle growth takes much longer and as a result is less efficient at calorie and therefore fat burning.

Either way it is the OP's choice. Do they just want to lift heavy or lift heavy and increase their bodies calorie burning efficiency?

Hypertrophy is driven by volume & diet - not rep ranges. 8-15 is often given that name simply because it's typically easier to get volume in with less chance of burnout than 5x5 - but that's it. 3 sets of 15 @ 50% ~= 1500. 5 sets of 5 @ 80% ~= 2000. The 5x5, in this case, provides considerably more volume, which would induce greater hypertrophy.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

The phrase "hypertrophy range" is overused and not as specific as what you seem to think it is. Greg Nuckols has a good article about it.

A pound of muscle burns about 6 calories.
    Weight training, by increasing muscle mass, should have a small effect on BMR as well although not all studies have shown this to be the case. Unfortunately, the most recent research points out just how small the effect is: at rest, a pound of muscle burns about 6 calories. The old values of 40-100 cal/lb were simply vast overestimations and unless you can add an absolute ton of muscle mass, you’re unlikely to increase resting metabolic rate significantly (not that adding muscle doesn’t have other benefits).
    (source)

In addition, the OP's goal is fat loss. Fat burns 3 calories per pound so even if she gains some muscle while in a deficit (which is possible) she's not netting a full 6 calorie per day burn pound for pound.