Tell me about your HIIT class

Options
2»

Replies

• LotusCass
    LotusCass Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I actually think my other circuit class would be more like a HIIT class, at least elements of it. Today for example we did intervals of 40 seconds strength then 5 intervals of cardio for 20 secs each with 5 seconds rest between. Then start again at a new station with new activities of the same type. 12 stations in total for 45 mins. Things like mountain climbers, burgers, squat jumps, high knees, ice skaters etc. The trainer pushes us to go max, but there's no way I can go max and go for 45 mins. So a true HIIT would be those sorts of thing at max for 30 mins or so?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    LotusCass wrote: »
    I did my first HIIT class today and it wasn't what I expected. I heard it was a really tough class, obviously with high intensity activities (as the name suggests). Today's class was more of a circuit class with 40 secs on and 10 off, a mix of weights and core but not much high intensity cardio. I wouldn't imagine I would have burned anywhere near 500 calories as so many websites indicate you can with a HIIT class. I've done lots of circuit classes and it was pretty much the same as those. What have your HIIT classes been like?

Most HIIT classes are not delivering a HIIT session, they are circuit training. That is not to say they don't have value. I'd also observe that claims of 500 calorie burns in any class seeing are significantly over inflated.

Fwiw I'd be very surprised if you could get the HIIT in a class setting. From a personal perspective, to get the VO2MAX improvements I'd be looking at 15 minutes warm up, a total of 20 minutes of working intervals, then a 15 minute cool down.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Just because you can't hold 90% of your max for more than 30 seconds doesn't mean someone else cant.

If you're only at 90% MHR your not getting the VO2MAX benefits.

I'd also question the real value, given that it's a pre A-race type of activity, given that the effects aren't durable.
  • mobarger
    mobarger Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My HIIT classes change each week. We use a variety of equipment that includes kettle bells, jam balls, med balls, battle ropes, TRX, handweights, resistance bands, valslides, BOSU balls, sandbags and plyo boxes. Classes are 55 minutes long and vary from 30-40 second sets and 3-4 rounds. They gym encourages the use of MyZone bands which are heart monitors that sync up with a display you can watch during your workout so you know when you can up your intensity.

This week is "Hurricane week" or 4 rounds of 30 seconds plus our performance test of how many push ups we can do in 1 minute and holding a 2 minute plank.
    This week the rounds are:
    - ladder step ins/outs
    - jamball slams
    - russian twists with med balls
    - ladder high knees
    - burpees with jamballs
    - v ups with med balls
    - ski jumps (one legged hops) with ladder
    - squat press with resistance band
    - side planks
    - lateral ladders
    - one legged row with resistance bands
    - I'm actually forgetting this one! something on the ground! :)

Then the finisher which is tabata style 30 seconds on, 5 secs off, 3 rounds.
    lunges to squat
    spiderman planks
    t-extensions with weights if desired

I love these classes and have been attending regularly for 2 years. The class change up keeps me interested and focused.
  • LotusCass
    LotusCass Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    mobarger wrote: »
    My HIIT classes change each week. We use a variety of equipment that includes kettle bells, jam balls, med balls, battle ropes, TRX, handweights, resistance bands, valslides, BOSU balls, sandbags and plyo boxes. Classes are 55 minutes long and vary from 30-40 second sets and 3-4 rounds. They gym encourages the use of MyZone bands which are heart monitors that sync up with a display you can watch during your workout so you know when you can up your intensity.

This week is "Hurricane week" or 4 rounds of 30 seconds plus our performance test of how many push ups we can do in 1 minute and holding a 2 minute plank.
    This week the rounds are:
    - ladder step ins/outs
    - jamball slams
    - russian twists with med balls
    - ladder high knees
    - burpees with jamballs
    - v ups with med balls
    - ski jumps (one legged hops) with ladder
    - squat press with resistance band
    - side planks
    - lateral ladders
    - one legged row with resistance bands
    - I'm actually forgetting this one! something on the ground! :)

Then the finisher which is tabata style 30 seconds on, 5 secs off, 3 rounds.
    lunges to squat
    spiderman planks
    t-extensions with weights if desired

I love these classes and have been attending regularly for 2 years. The class change up keeps me interested and focused.

These sound a lot like my circuit classes. I love this style of class. Never get bored.