A little nervous...

Options
I've never done anything like this before. I'm going on 300 pounds and I want to get back in shape. I'm in my early twenties and get winded walking short distances. It makes me feel terrible so I want a change, but trying to exercise is very hard and I just don't know where to start. If I could get any tips it would be lovely. Hopefully I won't have to go it alone.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Don't be nervous - just start!

Your calorie intake will be the biggest determinant of your weight/loss. Take time to weigh solids, measure liquids, and log all your food and drink accurately.

Exercise will help you, but don't start by thinking you need to run a marathon. Go for a walk - one foot in front of the other! If you don't like walking, try something you think you'll enjoy. Just start to move more!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Welcome! There is a ton of good information available here, and I highly recommend reading through the pinned posts at the top of each forum.

You can start losing weight just via your food intake; exercise is not required at all. I think it's a good idea to ease into big changes, especially if you're nervous. I'd start just by eating to my goal calories as set by MFP. Don't change what you're eating (unless you want to, but it's not necessary), don't go crazy with the exercise (maybe go take a walk if you want, but keep it easy) and don't eat a lot less than MFP gives you. Just eat to the goal. Do that for 4-6 weeks until you've gotten the hang of it and start to see losses on the scale.

Then, you can start making small additional changes if you want to. Weight loss always takes longer than we think it will, and there's no benefit to trying to do everything in the extreme right from the start. You won't get there any faster, and you run the risk of burnout before you hit your goal.

One last thing...spend some time in the Success Stories forum. There are a lot of MFP members who have started where you are now and who have made huge changes to their lives and bodies. You're really not alone here.
  • ngoziish
    ngoziish Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Yes, definitely start with caloric intake first and then include exercise such as walking half a mile to a mile daily. It doesn't matter how fast you walk. The point is you are out moving. Weigh solid and measure your liquid intake. MFP already gave you a recommended daily caloric intake. It is essential that you stay within your recommended caloric intake and not go over. Sometimes you may go over it, but that's why you need to track and find out which food is causing to go over and what's the alternative. All the best.
  • cabee83
    cabee83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey there,
    I'm in a similar boat. Walking helps me it's easy low impact and you don't need special equipment. Put on your favorite mix of music and go you can do this.
  • CoffeenSquats
    CoffeenSquats Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You'll find endless information and support within this community. Good luck!
  • FewDustyStars
    FewDustyStars Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much