13»

Replies

• Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Okiludy wrote: »
    Wanted to share my lifts from first month of barbell training. Really happy with my progress but feel I am still way light on squat but taking it slow. Like today I did 150 for 6 but could have likely hit 10 or more reps. Legs and glutes no tightness after.

I also changed my program to a more powerlifting centered one. Still a new lifter program just focuses on competition lifts. Was doing Starting Strength but wanted to take advantage of my new lifter gains on program that matched my goals.

Lifts:
    Bench 5x5 45lbs on 6/5/17 , 3x4 135lbs on 7/5/17
    Squat 5x5 45lbs on 6/5/17, 2x6 150lbs on 7/5/17
    Deadlift 1x5 65lbs on 6/9/17, 1x6 265lbs on 7/5/17

I also did a 1RM last week on deads and hit 305. I am sure I could pull 310 now with a few tweaks to form. I round my shoulders a bit very early on lift but nice and flat before it gets 1/4 of way up. Working on dropping hips down more but a mobility thing.

Goal is to hit 750 combined from the 3 lifts. Hoping to hit it this fall. Oh and also keep losing around 1lbs a week. Weight loss is important to me but no more than getting that 750.

Bench is my worst by far and getting 4 reps at 135 was a challenge. It will take the most work but hell nothing good is free.

I absolutely call BS on all of this. No way, no how, unless a super human being.

LOL well you are wrong. The starting weights are what is called for in the program and yes I can lift that much now. Thank you very much for calling me super human! It is awesome to think that I someday may be able to help the mere mortals among us!

On a serious not you did read I am morbidly obese right? Just standing was squatting like 300lbs losing over 25 of that so far but lifting weights was not really all that hard. Lift, rest, repeat all while in a calorie deficit.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Okiludy wrote: »
    Wanted to share my lifts from first month of barbell training. Really happy with my progress but feel I am still way light on squat but taking it slow. Like today I did 150 for 6 but could have likely hit 10 or more reps. Legs and glutes no tightness after.

I also changed my program to a more powerlifting centered one. Still a new lifter program just focuses on competition lifts. Was doing Starting Strength but wanted to take advantage of my new lifter gains on program that matched my goals.

Lifts:
    Bench 5x5 45lbs on 6/5/17 , 3x4 135lbs on 7/5/17
    Squat 5x5 45lbs on 6/5/17, 2x6 150lbs on 7/5/17
    Deadlift 1x5 65lbs on 6/9/17, 1x6 265lbs on 7/5/17

I also did a 1RM last week on deads and hit 305. I am sure I could pull 310 now with a few tweaks to form. I round my shoulders a bit very early on lift but nice and flat before it gets 1/4 of way up. Working on dropping hips down more but a mobility thing.

Goal is to hit 750 combined from the 3 lifts. Hoping to hit it this fall. Oh and also keep losing around 1lbs a week. Weight loss is important to me but no more than getting that 750.

Bench is my worst by far and getting 4 reps at 135 was a challenge. It will take the most work but hell nothing good is free.

I absolutely call BS on all of this. No way, no how, unless a super human being.

It looks completely normal to me. He came from a completely different starting point than you did. Don't compare your progress to his.
  • Okiludy
    Options

DevilsFan1 wrote: »

Yes. OP said he was morbidly obese to start. A 280 lb guy has a lot of muscle hidden under a lot of fat. He started at those weights, realized they were far to low and rapidly jumped to more reasonable weights for his size.

Yep. I was 300lbs on April first. Did basically calorie deficit and walking/light swimming until I started lifting. I was 280.5lbs on 6/5/17 and went to gym to try weights for first time. I found a strength coach on 6/16/17 to help with form. While my weight is still going down I get a bunch of fluctuation from water weight now but this morning it was 275 but it's been down as low as 271 in last week.

When I started the weights were way to low. I may have jumped up outside of program once or twice but the first couple of times I would do my sets and wonder WTF. Still by 3rd workout I just jumped at max amount recommended by Rippetoe in the book. Glad I did now as my I feel my deadlift and squat are in pretty good form. Still need to work on bench but that's why I get my coach to check form every couple of weeks.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Rows, OHP, etc. are hardly a "waste of time/recovery."

I can't tell you how many times I've heard things like "strong shoulders make a big bench" "big rows make a bigger deadlift". I asked a competitive powerlifter at my gym if he had any advice for my bench press, and he said ARM DAY. Accessory movements have their place and can often increase the big 3.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options

I can't tell you how many times I've heard things like "strong shoulders make a big bench" "big rows make a bigger deadlift". I asked a competitive powerlifter at my gym if he had any advice for my bench press, and he said ARM DAY. Accessory movements have their place and can often increase the big 3.

true. over half my workout time is on accessory lifts, in hypertrophy range. My main lifts are usually 45 min to an hour to get through, and then i spend another 90 minutes to 2 hours on accessories.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

true. over half my workout time is on accessory lifts, in hypertrophy range. My main lifts are usually 45 min to an hour to get through, and then i spend another 90 minutes to 2 hours on accessories.

You're weight training for 2.5 hours a day?
  • SonyaCele
    edited July 2017
    Options

On a good day, when things are moving along well, yeah. Sometimes its 3 or more hours. I'm in meet prep right now so its longer than usual. But even between meet prep , 2-2.5 hours is typical
  • Okiludy
    edited July 2017
    Options

True once you hit an intermediate or higher level. At the pure novice level I would disagree. Plus you do accessory workouts once a week in the program I am doing. Look at the Saturday workout I listed. You are going heavy 3 days a week on primary lifts and accessory work one day. You are not neglecting the work you are just prioritizing based on level of lifter and rest time needed between the main lifts.

Once I feel I have moved out of noob gains time, maybe 3-6months, I want to lift 5days a week and work in more accessory work. Right now tho time is limited and I need a program I can be out of gym in less than 2 hours including changing clothes and warm up/cooldown.

Edit: TIme is factor as wife would kill me if not home in time to pick-up daughter from after school stuff. Days of week not as much a factor.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options

On a good day, when things are moving along well, yeah. Sometimes its 3 or more hours. I'm in meet prep right now so its longer than usual. But even between meet prep , 2-2.5 hours is typical

How many sets do you do? Sorry I'm just curious.
  • SonyaCele
    edited July 2017
    Options

How many sets do you do? Sorry I'm just curious.

Depends on the workout. anywhere from 10-15 sets of the main lift not including my warm up sets, but these are 1-3 rep range, with rest time in between. My accessories are generally 3-4 sets and i have about 5 different movements. Plus 3 sets of abs, and then a 100 rep finisher of something.
  • Okiludy
    Options

I see many of the really strong people at my gym doing that or more and @SonyaCele would definitely be in that class.
  • Okiludy
    Options
    Depends on the workout. anywhere from 10-15 sets of the main lift not including my warm up sets, but these are 1-3 rep range, with rest time in between. My accessories are generally 3-4 sets and i have about 5 different movements. Plus 3 sets of abs, and then a 100 rep finisher of something.

God damn! *kitten* maybe in like 5 years I'll be close to something like this. A 100 rep finisher after all that is damn impressive seeing how you are doing heavy *kitten* sets of compound movements first.

• SonyaCele
    Options
    lol, its all relative. the 100 rep finisher is for sure a little painful, but its only with something like 5 lb dumbbells , or a resistance band. and practically no resistance. Its just a movement to pump blood to whatever muscle group we just beat up.

trust me, you could do my workout right now, anyone can.
  • Okiludy
    Options
    Update:

Lifts:
    Bench 5x5 45lbs on 6/5/17 , 3x4 135lbs on 7/5/17, 3x5 135lbs on 7/12/17
    Squat 5x5 45lbs on 6/5/17, 2x6 150lbs on 7/5/17, 2x6 225lbs on 7/12/17
    Deadlift 1x5 65lbs on 6/9/17, 1x6 265lbs on 7/5/17, 1x4 315lbs on 7/12/17

New program after 1 week no big changes besides progression going up a bit or rep increases. I really need to get my microplates in to push my bench up. My coach is on vacation but think I might do a day of bench training to clean up any form mistakes when he gets back.

I lift with no wraps, sleeves, gloves, and only use a belt on working sets of squats and deadlifts. Waiting for some wrist wraps to come in. I also do all lifts in Vans as chucks too narrow. Considering getting some Sabo Deadlift shoes and use on everything.

In terms of weight deadlifts doing good but grip becoming issue. Humid in gym and holding bar an issue. Gym doesn't ban chalk but does not provide either. I have some on order but dealing with it for now. Squats still way too light. I can likely bump the weight up faster but I'll follow the program max from here on. 10lbs every workout until I get less than 6 in working sets.

No real "pain" after. Some discomfort of course but it's more stiffness. Lower back is doing good. Knees solid. Shoulder is better now that I am squeezing upper back on bench.

What I have done wrong:
    I jumped weight to fast on deadlifts and squats but wanted to get to 85-90% quicker. I need to follow the program and do increases as per, not what I "feel" I can do. Still a novice and need to remember that.

What I really liked:
    I loved the Saturday general workout. Doing lat pulls, curls, chins(assisted) at 3 sets of 10-12 was different. Add in the lower amount of rest between sets and had a bit of burn going on. The HIIT session I did also kicked my *kitten*. I am going to do battle rope HIIT next Sat.