Most accurate online body fat percentage calculator?

Options
My scales don't measure body fat percentage so I tried a few online calculators which gave me results ranging from 8% to 26%. Does anyone know of a calculator or method of working out body fat percentage that's accurate?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Calculators aren't going to be accurate... probably less accurate than a scale. The better choices are body fat calipers or a Dexa/hydrostatic test.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I don't think an online calc or biometric scales are going to be very accurate at all.

Why do you need to know your %BF? Is it to use in determining your calorie intake or just "out of interest"?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I've used a few but just as a ballpark. There's too many margins of error for any of them to be accurate.
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I don't think an online calc or biometric scales are going to be very accurate at all.

Why do you need to know your %BF? Is it to use in determining your calorie intake or just "out of interest"?

Just out of interest
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    To answer the question, this site http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/ has three different calculations. They vary a lot. I know they are estimates but if you want to take a stab in the dark, try them.
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    To answer the question, this site http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/ has three different calculations. They vary a lot. I know they are estimates but if you want to take a stab in the dark, try them.

This was interesting. Thanks for sharing the website.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    NadNight wrote: »

Just out of interest

I see. Like I said, it's difficult to get an accurate % without spending the money on a DEXA/BW immersion test. But, if you're just interested you could hop on a bio-metric scale @ Pharmacy or gym and get figure. This figure will fluctuate based on hydration levels and will not be comparable to other people's measurements but, it is a figure.

But, having said that, the number on the print out (or indeed the weight on the scale) counts for little if you're shooting for a specific aesthetic.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Well I did these online calculators and they are way off . I had a test done last night and was surprised at my results so she did it again and same results. The online calculators had my BF% at anywhere between 20 and 25%. It is actually 16.5%.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well I did these online calculators and they are way off . I had a test done last night and was surprised at my results so she did it again and same results. The online calculators had my BF% at anywhere between 20 and 25%. It is actually 16.5%.

What kind of test tool was used?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I recently had a hydrostatic test done. The result for me that day, 14.3% compared to the online photographs of various body fat % people, showed me that simply comparing me in the mirror to those photographs gave a good approximation. I looked like the 15% guy.

Those online photos really focus on the midsection though. For people who don't carry their weight proportionally, it's never going to be very accurate (although I guess it's more true for women than men).
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Yeah what method was used? That's competition levels of body fat for a woman, you would be ripped if it was that low.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    None
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options

Not a chance you're 16.5%
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    In my experience, the online photos with bf% gives you a pretty good estimate.
  • candilc9
    candilc9 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    YEARS ago they used to have those scales at GNC where you could get all sorts of stats. You'd pay a couple of dollars and I think it printed them off too. Don't know how accurate they were tho.Do they still have them? Again that was probably 20+ years ago!
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    In my experience, the online photos with bf% gives you a pretty good estimate.

based on what?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Using the selfie camera on your computer or phone.