Stronglifts and Strong Curves

Options
PearDragon
PearDragon Posts: 20 Member
edited July 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm a beginner and I'm thinking about either doing Strong Curves (but am worried there's not enough upper body stuff) OR doing Strong Lifts 5x5 with the app but supplementing it with Strong Curves Gorgeous Glutes workout. I've seen the latter option discussed in a couple of threads. I'm pear shaped and have about 15 lbs to lose but would like to retain muscle while I'm losing and maybe make some newbie gains if possible. My priority is aesthetic (sorry to the hardcore lifters!) and health.

Is there anyone out there who had tried either or both options and could share their experiences?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    SC works upper body with the same frequency as SL.

SL+GG is not a good plan.

If you're a beginner I'd use the SC beginner program.

• jasonlangdon74
    jasonlangdon74 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in doing StrongLifts 5x5, there is a fantastic Facebook group dedicated to that program. The address is https://www.facebook.com/groups/STRONGLIFTS/.

If you follow the stronglifts program, which involves squatting 3 times a week, you won't need to do any additional glute work.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Are you a beginner? If so, I agree with @jemhh. Get a solid program under your belt.

I do exercises from Strong Curves in addition to my powerlifting and have seen stupid good results, but I have a coach to help me program.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in doing StrongLifts 5x5, there is a fantastic Facebook group dedicated to that program. The address is https://www.facebook.com/groups/STRONGLIFTS/.

If you follow the stronglifts program, which involves squatting 3 times a week, you won't need to do any additional glute work.

That's assuming one squats in a way that activates the glutes during the exercise. Squatting does wonders for my quads, but I need other lifts for my glutes.
  • bbell1985
    Options

Not necessarily. Squatting in the 5 rep range doesn't do much for the booty. Squats aren't even the best exercise for butt.
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I've tried both, and just got a bit bored with the SL. Strong Curves was a lot more interesting, regardless as to the benefits. There is enough upper body strength in it for me.
  • jemhh
    edited July 2017
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

That's assuming one squats in a way that activates the glutes during the exercise. Squatting does wonders for my quads, but I need other lifts for my glutes.
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Not necessarily. Squatting in the 5 rep range doesn't do much for the booty. Squats aren't even the best exercise for butt.

Yep.

Barbell glute bridges and hip thrusts do way more for my glutes. And RDLs have done wonders for me as well. Right now I do an upper/lower split and incorporate a lot that I learned from SC and various Bret Contreras posts/videos.

OP, either program is fine for a beginner. If you want to try Stronglifts, that is fine. If you want to try Strong Curves, it is fine for a beginner. The truth is that there are many beginner programs that will work and if you look at them, they all center around the same movements. They differ in variations of those movements (e.g., SL has you do only back squats while SC has you do a different squat variation on each of the 3 workouts you use each week), number of sets, number of reps, and then some assistance exercises. There is no One True Beginner's Program. I do think that beginners should start with an established program (meaning one created by somebody with lifting expertise) but you have many to choose from.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    I forget what the upper body portion of SL is. You can probably adjust volume and add an extra lift per muscle group. Maybe...saying that without having seen the program in front of me for awhile.
  • jemhh
    Options
    I forget what the upper body portion of SL is. You can probably adjust volume and add an extra lift per muscle group. Maybe...saying that without having seen the program in front of me for awhile.

I think it's bench press/barbell row one day and then OHP the other day when you deadlift. SC has a push and pull each day and deadlift some days (it's included more as a hamstring exercise so on non deadlift days you're doing things like back extensions or good mornings.)
  • bbell1985
    edited July 2017
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I think it's bench press/barbell row one day and then OHP the other day when you deadlift. SC has a push and pull each day and deadlift some days (it's included more as a hamstring exercise so on non deadlift days you're doing things like back extensions or good mornings.)

OP, it's fine for a beginner. You'll benefit from big lifts like that in the early stages just as much, if not more than a ton of accessory lifts in a deficit.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I recently bought the Strong Curves book. My plan is to do the bodyweight workout for the rest of the summer. It should finish up in time to join a gym this fall. I did my first workout yesterday.

I have reviewed the whole book and there is plenty of upper body in the workouts except possibly the GG, which specifically states no upper body. You can also google strong curves and download a pdf of the workout templates. Easier than trying to copy or write in the ones from the book.
  • WineAndYogaPants
    WineAndYogaPants Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would also consider Get Glutes or Strong by Bret. Both are great beginner options and have instructional videos and form check evaluations.

Get Glutes is a bit more beginner friendly than Strong by Bret and both programs offer a variety of targeted glute work. :) Squats are great but most folks need to do a lot more than just squats to build their booty.
  • PearDragon
    PearDragon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. I take your point that trying to combine them would be a bad move for an amateur so I guess I just need to decide between them...

Jason/Bbel/Dracarys - I *am* worried that I won't hit my glutes in the way I want to with SL. I might build strength, but to be honest I'm more interested in how my bum looks than how much it squats. I'm a little worried about SC packing on leg muscle under my already chunky legs but to be honest, I guess I probably won't gain enough muscle to worry about while I'm eating at a small deficit still and trying to lose weight?

Since it does have a decent amount of upper body work, I think I'll go with SC because it's more attuned to my aesthetic goals. SL seems more about gaining strength, which is great, and I know will happen too, but its not my top priority.

WineAndYoga - thanks for the suggestions but I think more options is the last thing I need!
  • bbell1985
    Options
    PearDragon wrote: »
    Thanks for all the responses. I take your point that trying to combine them would be a bad move for an amateur so I guess I just need to decide between them...

Jason/Bbel/Dracarys - I *am* worried that I won't hit my glutes in the way I want to with SL. I might build strength, but to be honest I'm more interested in how my bum looks than how much it squats. I'm a little worried about SC packing on leg muscle under my already chunky legs but to be honest, I guess I probably won't gain enough muscle to worry about while I'm eating at a small deficit still and trying to lose weight?

Since it does have a decent amount of upper body work, I think I'll go with SC because it's more attuned to my aesthetic goals. SL seems more about gaining strength, which is great, and I know will happen too, but its not my top priority.

WineAndYoga - thanks for the suggestions but I think more options is the last thing I need!

Well, some of this will come down to how much you have to lose. If you have a bit to lose, more than 15 lbs say, SL is a nice way to maintain that muscle mass as you lose and lift in a deficit. There's only so much you can do to shape your bum lifting in a deficit, even with glute work. That said, you also won't PACK ON THE muscle under the fat with EITHER program. Take it from some of us who have purposely bulked (eating in a surplus while lifting to gain muscle), it is not easy to gain muscle. And for the most part, you need to be in a surplus.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Your choice is wise though because it seems like your goals are aesthetic. You'll have a good program under your belt and as you get close to goal physique, you can decide if you'd like to recomp or even run a bulk someday.