Swimsuit advice- should I size up or size down?

Options
lazygingerbread
lazygingerbread Posts: 12 Member
edited July 2017 in Chit-Chat
I have just bought 2 one piece swimsuits online (same design and colour), one UK size 10 and one size 12. I am planning to send back the one that doesn't fit, but I ordered both because I vary a lot between sizes normally and in the past I have made the mistake of buying them too big in the chest so they're baggy and therefore a bit too saggy/revealing in the cups.

I tried both on last night, the size 10 is a tiny bit snug in places (like my back and underarm fat overflow a bit) but not uncomfortable. The size 12 is a little bit loose but surprisingly there is little in it so I'm really torn which one to go for. The cut at the chest isn't revealing for either but obviously the size 12 is slightly looser (maybe adjustable with straps?). I'm trying to lose a little bit of weight/gain muscle at the moment but its slow progress so it seems silly to go for the smaller size 'just in case', but I also don't want to opt for the 12 and it be too big to wear in future when I've invested in it and I want this to last me several summers if possible.

Online threads seem to vary between recommending sizing down because the fabric stretches in the water, and sizing up so its more flattering. In the past sizing up has meant its too loose to wear though (although the chest shape is different this time). But at the same time, I don't want to look like a sausage in a skin or 'expose myself' around the bottom if its too tight!

The online size guide says:
Size 10: 34.25 inch bust, 27.5 inch waist, 37.5 inch hips
Size 12: 36.5 inch bust, 29.5 inch waist, 39.5 inch hips

My measurements this morning are: 37 inch bust, 30.5 inch waist, 39 inch hips.

What do you guys think? I'm really torn.

Replies

• dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Some swimsuits get slightly bigger when wet, I'd keep the smaller one
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I don't know. Is it expensive? If you love it and think you'll wear it next year, get the smaller.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you trying to lose? 5 lbs or so?
    How much are you going to use the suit? Once or twice or several days every week?
    If you are going to use it a lot this season then keep the size 12. If you will only wear it a few times you might keep the size 10.
    If you can afford to keep them both you can wear the bigger one now and the smaller one in future.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I can't comment on the fashion aspects of this, but if you are a (aspiring) lap swimmer, the competition suits are quite tight at first, but they loosen up as you use them.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Buy one of each, try them on and then send the one you like the least back.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'd keep the slightly snug one - there is nothing worse than a swimsuit that is slightly too big when swimming laps
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I would try more on- you should feel great about what you buy/wear :smile:
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    Options
    Depending on the cost and if you can afford it and Love the style, why don't you keep both, wear the one that you're comfortable in now and use the other as an incentive to wear by the end of the Summer? That's exactly what I just did with one that I ordered online. Their measurement chart was off and it's not as snug as I'd like around the waist, but I'm wearing it anyway because it's a gorgeous Vintage style that is flattering, and I've ordered one two sizes smaller to give me incentive to wear before the Summers over! Couldn't beat the price, so why the heck not??? :smiley:
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I would honestly not buy either one, since it sounds like neither is a perfect fit for you. I'd look for a different swimsuit that's more flattering for your body. I made the mistake of buying an expensive swimsuit while I was still losing weight...I was able to wear it once.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    A swimsuit fit thread. Without. Pictures.

Wat

Do you even mfp? :rage:

:flowerforyou:
  • krushal8880
    krushal8880 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I would go with comfort! Good Luck! B)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'd keep the smaller one mainly because I couldn't stand just wearing a suit for one summer season.