Weight loss goal question..

Options
Good morning everyone!

I have a qestion that I'm sure has been answered before (probably a million times already LOL) but I'm going to ask anyway :)

Which is better, to have a long term goal of my goal weight, or a few mini goals along the way? I do have a long term goal weight of what I want to lose, but just starting out that seems impossible at this point. Not sure if smaller goals along the way (10lbs, 20lbs) would be more motivating or stick with my long term goal (or even both)?

Thanks in advance for any and all imput I get!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    have both
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    The Happy Scale app will set smaller goals for you along the way and track overall percentage to main goal. I like to work towards the smaller goals as I go :-)
  • jordandills
    jordandills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I found having both to be helpful. When I began losing weight, I thought my current weight was impossible for me and my "final" goal weight was higher. As I've lost, I've adjusted my final goal but still set mini goals every 10ish lbs or so, with small non-food rewards for myself.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Both for sure!!
  • Ems500c
    Ems500c Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! and I'll download the happy scale app right now!
  • jules99jd
    jules99jd Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've set my long term goal with my fitness pal and I also use the happy scale app which sets 5lb goals to work towards...I really like it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The best one is the one that you personally find most motivating.
  • inkedillini26
    inkedillini26 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have a long term goal, but I also have mini goals that I assigned rewards to when I hit them. It helps me keep motivated and it reminds me that my long term goal is going to take time, and that smaller goals are something I can look toward shorter term. Losing 90 lbs is going to take a long time and I don't want to get frustrated with how much I have left...so 10-15 lb increments seems more realistic to me.

20 lbs lost = mani/pedi
    35 lbs lost = new phone case
    50 lbs lost = a new outfit and fancy date with my hubby
    60 lbs lost = weekend at a winery
    70 lbs lost = new running shoes
    80 lbs lost = spin bike
    90 lbs lost = new tattoo
  • Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I have mini goals and a main one too. It's nice to tick them off as you go :)
  • Colectable93
    Colectable93 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I started off at 266 when I had a mini stroke on April 20th, I now down to 235 and 27 inches, with my goal as 199, my goal is to break the 200 mark, when I look at the charts to see what my healthy weight should be I still have another 100 pds to go, that is overwhelming to me. So I plan on getting to 199 and then set up new little goals to get healthier. Not sure I will ever get to the 135 mark, but I will be thrilled with anything below 200. But as I am losing weight and inches, I get more inspired so who knows what my future holds. I find it has been helpful to set a goal that you currently feel is reasonable and then once you hit it restructure.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    both
  • Ems500c
    Ems500c Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    These are all awesome tips to help! I love the idea to reward yourself and not with good!! Thanks everyone!