When are food labels going to change? Serving sizes?

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    they don't need to do this (IMO) they just need to change everything to per 100g and leave it at that.

serving sizes only add to confusion, miscalculation, and under-reporting of calories.

Absolutely! I don't even look at serving sizes. I look at grams.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I remember something about changing serving sizes. Is this going to happen? And if so, when?
    I can't wait for a serving of ice cream to be more than 1/2 cup. Or saltines being more than 5 crackers.

Dunno: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/under-pressure-from-food-companies-fda-delays-changes-to-simplify-calorie-labels-2017-06-13

Well, that explains the weirdly huge bold font on the calorie, serving size on the Tostitos bag my boyfriend just bought.

Not sure I completely agree with the general portion inflation; I do agree with the change on individual-wrapped type items that are visually presented as a single serving (like a cookie, candy bar, ..) ..although I'm 50/50 on this as it applies to items that have gotten inflated over time (which would include the 20oz soda - many view it as an individual serving despite being a ridiculously high amount, but on the other hand newly bolded and larger print serving sizes might help wake those people up). And on twin packs of snacks?
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I've been reading. Other serving size irritants.
    Bread - serving 1 slice
    Carrs Whole Wheat Crackers - 2 crackers
    Cooking Spray - 1/4 second
    Hummus - 2 Table spoons - I eat bowl fulls at home when I make it.
    Bottled tea - 2 servings / bottle

I think a good point is that Trans Fat would actually show. I can't wait for changes to be made someday. They really need to happen in some products. I hate to wait till 2019.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    I remember something about changing serving sizes. Is this going to happen? And if so, when?
    I can't wait for a serving of ice cream to be more than 1/2 cup. Or saltines being more than 5 crackers.

Dunno: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/under-pressure-from-food-companies-fda-delays-changes-to-simplify-calorie-labels-2017-06-13

Well, that explains the weirdly huge bold font on the calorie, serving size on the Tostitos bag my boyfriend just bought.

Not sure I completely agree with the general portion inflation; I do agree with the change on individual-wrapped type items that are visually presented as a single serving (like a cookie, candy bar, ..) ..although I'm 50/50 on this as it applies to items that have gotten inflated over time (which would include the 20oz soda - many view it as an individual serving despite being a ridiculously high amount, but on the other hand newly bolded and larger print serving sizes might help wake those people up). And on twin packs of snacks?

For me it depends on the item. I tend to agree that any individual items (like one cookie) should be one serving, as people assume it is, even if it's hugely ridiculously gigantic. A bottle is different to me, as there obviously are bottles that are multiple servings, and I used to buy liter bottles because they were convenient and then drink them for multiple servings, but I have no strong feelings on that. But 4 servings to a pint of ice cream does not seem insane/particularly small to me at all.

I also don't care much about serving size. Back in the day (before I cooked much), I used to often use as a main dish this rice and beans combo and add vegetables and some feta cheese. Because even before I counted calories I always read labels, I knew it was 6 servings, but I'd usually make it into 2 servings (cook the whole pack, eat half, eat the rest the next meal). One serving was 150 calories, so mine was 450, plus whatever I added, which seemed like a very reasonable meal to me, even if it was 3 servings.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    "Serving size" is for the most part, turned into an artificial construct created by food manufacturers so they could "round down" and report the numbers they wanted to report. What looked all the world to us like an individual bag of potato chips might have said on the label to contain 2.5 servings simply so the numbers on the nutrition label weren't so high per serving. The new rule is trying to get this in hand. It is trying to get the manufacturers to say an individual candy bar that looks like one would eat it at one go is the single serving everyone considers it to be.

The manufacturers don't like this, especially when they must change a number from zero, e.g. "zero transfats per serving" to a higher number. Keeping the servings small meant "rounding down" was legal so something with a little bit of something could be said to have zero of that thing.

One, of course, can choose any size serving and just put in the diary how many "servings" one actually ate. I do this all the time. But having an available serving size is a good suggestion that a universal 100g amount wouldn't provide. With the convention of 56g as a serving of macaroni, I go with 56g per person and we don't feel deprived. If 100g were the lowest size listed on a label, I'd be sorely tempted to do 100g of pasta per person. If the smaller serving size helps me play a mind game that keeps my calories in check, I'm all for it.

I don't think it would just be 100 g, but 100 g as an addition to a serving size (two columns).

I mean, it's not happening, but that's the usual proposal and what I've seen from other countries.

In my country we have two things: 1 is calories per 100 grams on the back only. On the front is the total grams of the package along with the total calories in the package.

As far as I'm concerned I'm more than capable of determining how much of something I want to eat. That in and of itself is my 1 serving. I determine how much I want to eat, I look at how many calories that is, and I eat it.

I don't understand the whole "I would eat 100g of something because that's what the package says". That's like eating 6-7 tablespoons of peanut butter as one serving just because that's the package. I think it's pretty ridiculous to suggest that people don't know how much to eat unless the package has a recommended serving. I don't know maybe that's just me.

Regardless, why on earth would I prefer an inaccurate *kitten* laymans serving size of "about 12 chips" or "1/2 a can" when I could have the actual calories of a serving in grams? Like, I can't even begin to tell you how much easier it is to determine accurate calories when you start using a scale versus these vague *kitten* measurements.

And like so many said above, by having a "serving size" they can use all sortable of tricks like making the serving so small that Nutrition information is misleading. (Spray oil anyone?)

• lemurcat12
    Options
    And like so many said above, by having a "serving size" they can use all sortable of tricks like making the serving so small that Nutrition information is misleading. (Spray oil anyone?)

There are limits on their ability to do this. Most serving sizes are pretty standardized (like pasta).

Here's an example of a UK label for bread:

nb94kryavmy9.jpg

This is something I think would not be useful if it just had 100 g, as people want to know how many calories per slice, not 100 g. They may have no concept of how much bread is in 100 g. (To be clear, I think this label is perfectly helpful.)

Similarly, I don't want to know how many calories are in 100 g of some pasta UNLESS I am weighing it, which most do not do. I want to know how many calories are in the amount I eat (which is why the US 2 oz/half a cup is helpful). A lot of people do have their idea of serving size formed by stuff on the package, and I think that's not a bad thing -- when I started weighing food I couldn't eyeball well, so started measuring out pasta and found that 56 g was perfectly filling (I of course sometimes eat more or less depending on my desire or need, now, but as I was terrible at judging what it would be cooked or knowing how much I really needed to be satisfied, those kinds of external information were helpful for me). Weirdly, I fixed on 100 g as my idea of a sensible serving of potatoes or sweet potatoes, probably because of the round number (again, I eat more or less depending, but that's roughly what I think of as a normal amount for me).

Anyway, yes, if you know what works for you and are weighing foods maybe servings are irrelevant, and there are reasons not to stick to serving size (as with my rice and beans example), but I do think serving size can be helpful.

Mainly, I think it's what provides the most useful information for someone approaching this more casually, but who wants to know enough to read a label. Thus, knowing a pint is 4 servings of ice cream and a serving has 250 cal makes it easier for someone guessing calories than knowing that 100 g is 260 cal, but having no clue what amount makes up 100 g. When I didn't pay attention to calories or weigh anything, I still knew eating a pint of ice cream was about 1000 calories (depending on the ice cream), because I read my labels.

But all this aside, I think the UK double label shown above is a nice idea, and I've seen various versions of that kind of thing. I don't think the US is going to get it any time soon, obviously, but I'd be in favor.
  • ritzvin
    edited July 2017
    Options
    As far as I'm concerned I'm more than capable of determining how much of something I want to eat. That in and of itself is my 1 serving. I determine how much I want to eat, I look at how many calories that is, and I eat it.

I don't understand the whole "I would eat 100g of something because that's what the package says". That's like eating 6-7 tablespoons of peanut butter as one serving just because that's the package. I think it's pretty ridiculous to suggest that people don't know how much to eat unless the package has a recommended serving. I don't know maybe that's just me.

People can be pretty surprisingly stupid. and lemming-ish. and would totally do that just because the package said it was a "serving size".
    Regardless, why on earth would I prefer an inaccurate *kitten* laymans serving size of "about 12 chips" or "1/2 a can" when I could have the actual calories of a serving in grams? Like, I can't even begin to tell you how much easier it is to determine accurate calories when you start using a scale versus these vague *kitten* measurements.

Few people weigh food outside of MFP - so those kinds of 'measurements' make sense for the general population. (and the corresponding number of grams is always listed of course).
    I would love a double column with 100g entries, but it would be useless to most other people.
    This kind of thing is why they are making these changes. (although it is worth noting that since my scale rounds to the nearest gram, I do usually get "0g" of olive oil if using it to (lightly) coat a pan as intended. Spraying on bread, or salad greens, or over fish/veggies is usually ~3g for me).

--

A lot of default serving sizes for things like meat (and, as noted above, pasta) in the US are simply multiples of ounces, hence the very typical serving sizes of 56g or 112g.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Here in Australia it is a legal requirement that all food/drink items list their calorie (and other) content in terms of 100gm/100ml - depending if liquid or solid item.
    (they can also display per serving if they want to)

So much better system IMO.

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Why is this so important? Or important at all?
    If you want the serving size to be bigger, eat more than one serving. That's one of the reasons math is mandatory in school.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    I think it is important to have clear labelling - like everything in standard comparisons ie per 100g/per 100ml.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I think it is important to have clear labelling - like everything in standard comparisons ie per 100g/per 100ml.

Agreed - I don't care about someone else's suggested serving size, I'll eat as much of something as I like. I do like having an easy comparison though, and get annoyed with the imported products I get from the US without info per 100g or mL!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Seriously though, did anyone really even read serving size before getting on MFP? I sure didn't. I just ate whatever amount I felt like having at the time (and still do). But yeah, having a reasonable idea of how many calories are in a reasonable portion size can be useful for most people (for things like chips or ice cream. For cookies, I see no reason why giving calories for 2 cookies and not just 1).

That being said, the '3.5 servings' per bag or whatever needs to stop. Give me the calories for the whole bottle and the whole cookie... not half. I do agree that 100g means nothing to the average American though.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Seriously though, did anyone really even read serving size before getting on MFP? I sure didn't. I just ate whatever amount I felt like having at the time (and still do). But yeah, having a reasonable idea of how many calories are in a reasonable portion size can be useful for most people (for things like chips or ice cream. For cookies, I see no reason why giving calories for 2 cookies and not just 1).

That being said, the '3.5 servings' per bag or whatever needs to stop. Give me the calories for the whole bottle and the whole cookie... not half. I do agree that 100g means nothing to the average American though.

I really think it means nothing to the average american because you guys still use innacurate measurements like cups (dry), cups (wet), tablespoons, etc. instead of weighing ingredients like pretty much everywhere else in the world. Hopefully as new generations are born and raised they're being introduced to the metric system and learning this in schools.

I hope one day america (and the UK) can be done with miles, pounds, stones, cups, pints, and all the other ridiculousness. :pensive:

edit: p.s. i am an american living overseas by the way, and i can't tell you how much it's taken me getting used to things like temperature (how hot is it outside, how hot is the oven, etc.), judging speed in a car in Km/h, trying to make recipes without using "cups" as a measurement, etc. I've grown to resent the entire backwards *kitten* system i grew up learning just because it's made it sooo hard to learn the new one. Oh, and don't get me started on how less impressive my lifts sound in kg now. :lol:
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I eat how much of any given thing I want, I don't eat what someone else says a serving size is. It's just math. They should put 1 and 100g amounts on there and leave it at that.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Seriously though, did anyone really even read serving size before getting on MFP?

Yes. I often ignored them, but I read labels and saw the servings sizes.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I always hate the cookie labels that say the serving size is 2 cookies, wth.........who eats only 2 cookies besides a child under 5.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I always hate the cookie labels that say the serving size is 2 cookies, wth.........who eats only 2 cookies besides a child under 5.

Better than half a cookie...
  • ritzvin
    Options
    There are times when you can't weigh your food (at least not without looking nuts, like say at a restaurant or event), so listings in visible-to-the-eye measurements (ie volume or approximate number of) can be extremely useful to have. I would love listings on MFP and food packages in cubic inches/centimeters for things like cheese (that I typically only eat at dance venue snack platters -- I actually have a cheat sheet post-it'd into a notepad for cheese).

wzulbi80ndco.jpg