Hate vegetables

Options
2»

Replies

• LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Cooked or raw it's still not good. Ive prepared them diffrent ways and still cant handle it. I'm trying to keep my calories down and heat healthy but there's not very many meals that can do that. I'm getting sick of eating the same things all the time. Like if I eat chicken breast for dinner with rice. That just doesnt seem healthy or filling enough.

The more specific you can be, the more helpful recommendations you are going to get. For example, I and several other people have asked you about tomato sauce--if you are eating it, that is a fabulous place to start. If you specifically rule it out, we can quit recommending it. Even providing a scale of less disgusting to more disgusting will get you better-tailored advice.

↑↑↑This.↑↑↑

Do you eat pasta and tomato sauce? Do you eat potatoes? Do have you tried potato-like vegetables, like sweet potatoes, turnips, winter squash? Give us more than - I hate them all. Are there any you can stand even the slightest bit?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Try carnivore. Skip the grains with the veggies, and enjoy eggs and dairy. Have the fruits you like.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    What have you actually tried? Like others said, they all taste different and have quite different textures, which vary depending on how they are cooked.

Do you eat them in stir fries, pasta, curries, soups, or stews ever?

What about in preparations involving cheese or bacon or creamy smooth soups?

Have you tried roasting them? Do you have a few things you like like, say, potatoes or carrots? If so, other root veg are often an easier step.

I really love vegetables, but learning to cook them properly and expanding my horizons was how I went from "they are okay, but boring" to "I love them."

This.

What about smoothies?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I could teach you to hate any food by making you eat it exclusively for ten days.

On a toleration scale, here are the vegetables children generally like. Start from your likes and move onward slowly. Another trick with children is to smother it in cheese or ranch dressing.

Corn
    Baby carrots
    Cucumber sticks (try salting them)
    Celery (fill with peanut butter)
    Peas
    Iceberg lettuce
    Romaine lettuce
    Tomatoes
    Bell Pepper
    Green Beans
    Turnip
    Beets
    Asparagus
    Brussels Sprouts

By the way, low sodium V8 is vile. Drink regular V8 straight up.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Cooked or raw it's still not good. Ive prepared them diffrent ways and still cant handle it. I'm trying to keep my calories down and heat healthy but there's not very many meals that can do that. I'm getting sick of eating the same things all the time. Like if I eat chicken breast for dinner with rice. That just doesnt seem healthy or filling enough.

What did you eat before you started trying to lose weight? Most people don't do well when they radically try to change their whole diet, unless they're really excited about making that kind of a change.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

What did you eat before you started trying to lose weight? Most people don't do well when they radically try to change their whole diet, unless they're really excited about making that kind of a change.

This is good advice.

I am a huge proponent of eating vegetables, but many, many people have too limited an idea of what eating healthfully is (and for weight loss you just need to control calories anyway). I ate pretty healthfully when losing weight and 1250 calories for part of that time, and yet I don't think anyone would have realized I was dieting if they'd seen my menus, because they were quite varied and not stereotypical diet food at all.
  • staciej0
    staciej0 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The crazy thing is that the same vegetable prepared a different way will not even taste close to the same. A raw radish has a bite and can be hot, while a roasted radish is mild and tastes potato-like, while a roasted/broiled balsamic glazed radish tastes different yet. Mashed cauliflower can be masked as mashed potatoes or you can broil cauliflower bites marinated with wing sauce, or coat it with almond flower for mock onion ring. Or try fried green beans with lean ham & parmesan -- it is different texture than a boiled mushy green bean...Maybe try not to overcook veggies if the texture is bothersome? Mixed vegetables can be mixed with brown rice and soy sauce for a fried rice take......Kale can be dried into chips with tons of different seasoning options, but it can also be blended into a berry smoothie and not even know it is there. Make a BLT with Romaine instead of bread and boring nutrient- starving iceberg and then add some garden tomatoes instead of the woody flavorless grocery store version.

My point is, I would keep trying - boil, broil, blanch, fry, roast, puree, eat raw, grill on charcoal, dress with sauces and dressings, throw it in a wrap, toss it with rice, or chop it over your cottage cheese. You might acquire a taste for it ...you literally have so much variety that theoretically you would never have to eat it the same way twice.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    staciej0 wrote: »
    The crazy thing is that the same vegetable prepared a different way will not even taste close to the same. A raw radish has a bite and can be hot, while a roasted radish is mild and tastes potato-like, while a roasted/broiled balsamic glazed radish tastes different yet. Mashed cauliflower can be masked as mashed potatoes or you can broil cauliflower bites marinated with wing sauce, or coat it with almond flower for mock onion ring. Or try fried green beans with lean ham & parmesan -- it is different texture than a boiled mushy green bean...Maybe try not to overcook veggies if the texture is bothersome? Mixed vegetables can be mixed with brown rice and soy sauce for a fried rice take......Kale can be dried into chips with tons of different seasoning options, but it can also be blended into a berry smoothie and not even know it is there. Make a BLT with Romaine instead of bread and boring nutrient- starving iceberg and then add some garden tomatoes instead of the woody flavorless grocery store version.

My point is, I would keep trying - boil, broil, blanch, fry, roast, puree, eat raw, grill on charcoal, dress with sauces and dressings, throw it in a wrap, toss it with rice, or chop it over your cottage cheese. You might acquire a taste for it ...you literally have so much variety that theoretically you would never have to eat it the same way twice.

This is great advice. I thought I hated bell peppers until I tried them roasted or charred, but I couldn't get enough of them the first time I tried them in fajitas. My husband thought he hated broccoli until he tried it steamed and lightly sauced instead of just boiled in plain water (the way his mom made it). There is so much variety available. Plus, many times when I find a way I like a vegetable, it eventually "unlocks" it so I can enjoy it in other forms. I now eat bell peppers all kinds of ways, including raw. I never would have done that before.