Breakfast made me fail. What do I do?

Options

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    breakfast will not boost your metabolism. if you prefer to not eat breakfast then don't. I find that strategy also works for me personally.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I find that foods higher in fat and protein keep me more full. If I ate a high carb breakfast (oats with seeds), I'd be starving like 5 minutes later.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    1) eating breakfast doesn't help "speed up metabolism and burn fat" that is a misnomer - your metabolism is always burning
    2) are you weighing/measuring everything you are eating? what is your weekly weight loss goal (potentially too aggressive for your current height/weight)

This.

Meal timing is irrelevant for weight loss, being at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals is what matters.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I can't eat breakfast, and it doesn't matter whether it's carb or high protein. It sets off my hunger and I feel like I'm starving all day. At that point, I can't stick to my calorie goal. So I skip breakfast and don't eat until around 2 pm. Then I have no problem sticking to my calories.
  • Kristen8912
    Kristen8912 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I do not eat breakfast as it makes me want to constantly eat all day. I usually start with a late AM snack which I label as breakfast in my diary. I eat light all day and save most of my calories for dinner and late snacks. Once I start eating, I just want to keep munching so saving the big amounts for later in the day works for me. Good luck.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Personally, I need to eat breakfast in order to get moving in the morning. But, I find that it needs to be higher protein first thing. If I eat a bunch of carbs and hardly any protein first off, it starts me in a cycle of craving sweet stuff and junk all day long. So I save my carbs for later in the day and it works out well for me. (Eating most of my carbs later in the day seems to help me sleep better, too, for some reason.) Eat whatever way works best for you. We all have different preferences and needs. You don't have to eat breakfast just because somebody said so. Try things out, see how it goes, and then adapt as needed. :)
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I am fine if I eat a protein based breakfast (egg bacon sausage) that will see me through until around 3 pm sometimes. But a carb based breakfast and I am hungry again around 11am. You need to do what suits you. As long as you are within your calorie allowance it doesn't really matter when you eat it.
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Count me in the "breakfast naysayers crew" I have black coffee only until lunch most days. Eating too early will often make me sick and eating early is a recipe for nibbling and snacking all day. I tend to eat at around 11am on workout days as it's the only way I can get in enough calories but otherwise I tend to avoid it.

If eating breakfast derails you for the day then don't eat breakfast. Simple.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I eat breakfast and it helps a lot of people keep more satiated throughout the day, regardless of all the naysayers here on MFP. You can try different food for breakfast, especially high protein like eggs.

I'm not naysaying breakfast. I love breakfast (although it doesn't make me feel more or less satiated, I just enjoy eating in the morning). But OP seems to think she did better without eating it (and doesn't say she was hungry not eating it). Anyway, that's why I recommended experimenting, to see what she likes.

(As an aside, I love eggs and have them most mornings -- a 2 egg omelet with vegetables and some smoked salmon or cottage cheese on the side is my most common breakfast -- but they aren't really high protein. 2 eggs is about 13 g of protein.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,913 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I've had a very slow weight loss despite being on 1200-1300 per week for the past 3 weeks. Quite a few people recommended that I have breakfast as it will help speed up my metabolism and get me burning fat. I tried eating a healthy breakfast of oats and chia seeds with a little bit of rice milk this morning. However since then I've had constant craving that I have not been able to resist. I've just been starving all day long and it has ended in a binge, which I haven't done for 3 weeks of not eating breakfast. I think it's because my meals have been so small that I haven't felt satisfied. Whereas one bigger meal would have left me feeling more satisfied. Do any of you have any tips?

Since everyone else has the breakfast issue covered, I will say that I'd easily lose over a pound a week on 1200-1300 calories per day. How tall are you and how many pounds do you want to lose total? How many pounds have you lost these past three weeks - maybe the problem is with your expectations?

There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1350 calories and am losing at a rate of .5 per week. If you are a smaller person you won't have a huge deficit. When I type in that I want to lose 2 pounds a week it gives me 1200 calories only because it won't recommend below that for a woman but I won't lose 2 pounds at 1200.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I have been told to eat breakfast within a half hour to an hour of waking up, If I do that I want to eat all morning until lunch. I wake up at 6am and I don't eat breakfast until 9:30 usually. It works better for me. Then I can make it to lunch without eating everything in site.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Find out what works for you and then do it. A good idea would also look into if that meal would ever hold you over regardless of timing. Personally, plain oats at any time of day would hold me over for... about 10 seconds.

I have to eat breakfast but I always choose a meal with lots of protein, carbs and fats because that makes me satiated.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Good news. There is absolutely no need for you to eat breakfast if you don't want it and it doesn't suit your habits. I rarely eat breakfast and have lost just fine when I've stayed in my calories. The speeding up metabolism thing is a myth.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    At 1200-1300 calories, you are on the very, very low end of what is considered healthy intake of calories. And that is really only recommended if you are tiny and inactive. Which you might be, I do not know. But more often or not, it's a person who is too aggressive in weight loss goals.

I really think the issue may be that you are simply on a diet that is set at a calorie intake level that is difficult to maintain without feeling very very hungry.

As for the "eat breakfast/don't eat breakfast" I think that's really a secondary concern.
  • WyldHaggis
    WyldHaggis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Try a few things, maybe, like eggs/protein rather than carbs (cereals can be quite a downfall). And if it doesn't work and you do better without breakfast, well, maybe that's just the way for you. Nothing wrong with that. :)

I used to have a large breakfast, but have learnt I actually need to go with a light one. (I don't like the traditional saying in my home place, 'eat like a king for breakfast, like a prince at lunch, and like a pauper at dinner' -- at 1300 calories / day, the prospect of coming home after 10 hours at the office and having only calories allotment left for a crummy old salad is seriously disheartening.)
  • BWA468
    BWA468 Posts: 101 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I've had a very slow weight loss despite being on 1200-1300 per week for the past 3 weeks. Quite a few people recommended that I have breakfast as it will help speed up my metabolism and get me burning fat. I tried eating a healthy breakfast of oats and chia seeds with a little bit of rice milk this morning. However since then I've had constant craving that I have not been able to resist. I've just been starving all day long and it has ended in a binge, which I haven't done for 3 weeks of not eating breakfast. I think it's because my meals have been so small that I haven't felt satisfied. Whereas one bigger meal would have left me feeling more satisfied. Do any of you have any tips?

During the week if I eat breakfast I feel no benefit from it at all. I still feel hungry mid morning at work so 250 or so calories for breakfast is a waste of calories IMO (I'd rather have chocolate at the end of the day). It doesnt make me feel better, curb cravings or fill me up. Some people need to eat breakfast for whatever reason and even prefer to have it as their main meal but each to their own. It wont speed up your metabolism or burn extra fat

Edit: During the work day I snack throughout and then have a 400ish calorie lunch, and about 600-700 calorie dinner. I dont feel deprived. On weekends I HAVE breakfast (cause I like the taste of it) and it keeps me full until mid afternoon so I tend to struggle eating my calories on weekends. Eating breakfast during the week leaves me starving about an hour or 2 later which is odd that it has the opposite affect on the weekend (blame my boring job)...

Just work out a good eating pattern that works for you
  • phaliamfp
    phaliamfp Posts: 31 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I cannot eat breakfast first thing. It makes me nauseous and then I end up starving all day. I have to wait at least an hour before I eat, I usually try to wait longer. Edited to add that in your shoes I would either try a later breakfast, or go back to skipping breakfast altogether.
  • Tashlovesfood
    Tashlovesfood Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Since everyone else has the breakfast issue covered, I will say that I'd easily lose over a pound a week on 1200-1300 calories per day. How tall are you and how many pounds do you want to lose total? How many pounds have you lost these past three weeks - maybe the problem is with your expectations?

There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

I wish that were the case but I have around 70-80 pounds to lose. I'm 28 years old, female and weigh 210 pounds. In 3 weeks of eating at 1200 -1300 per day I've lost 2 pounds.