How to train for 1st full marathon

Options
Bawlerb
Bawlerb Posts: 33 Member
I have done several halfs in my life but never committed to a full. I can run twice a week and do other non-impact training on the other days of the week (weights/elliptical). Not sure how many Kim's I should be putting in each week/month. Help welcome! Hope ticker posts right...
Goal: full marathon October
Goal July: 50km total (not one run)
pndhr5z8fbfy.png

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You need to run more than twice a week, IMO
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    find a good training plan - hal higdon, Galloway are 2 that I recommend (although personnaly I lean towards Galloway because I run/walk most things)

agreed with @TavistockToad - you need to run more than twice a week, three at a minimum, most marathon plans will have you 4 days a week - suggest switching at least one of your ellipticals for a run

more time in the lead-up to your marathon the better - it will give you time to repeat a week if needed (i.e. if you have a 16 week plan, and 20 weeks until your race - you could do an addition month of base training, or you could sprinkle re-do weeks in between)

stick to the plan - if the plan says run 10 miles, do it, don't exceed it (I know that its tempting to do) - plans are structured a certain way and if you increase too much too quickly

take advantage of your long slow runs - these should be 2-3min slower than anticipated race pace (so if you are aiming for a 10min mile - then LSD should be 12-13min miles)
  • danielh1978
    danielh1978 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi all.

I'm. Currently training for my 1st marathon, the Dublin marathon in october. I'm following hal higdon novice 1. Would like to have friends on here who are doing this so we can help each other. Please feel free to add. And good luck to eveeyone with your journey.

Dan.
  • Bawlerb
    Bawlerb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm going to look this up... ty
  • slowclydesdale2
    slowclydesdale2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Higdon's program will definitely get you to the finish line, Dan. Best of luck!