I just signed up for a 5K... in 10 days. :/

Options
Probably not the smartest thing I've ever done, but after a few 4th of July drinks, I was totally in. LOL Unfortunately, it is in just 10 days from now. I am not horribly out of shape, but I don't think I could even run a mile I do Muay Thai, but my cardio sucks. Help a girl out and let me know what you would do to prep and not look like a complete idiot.

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Walk it.

Maybe run a little, but plan to mix up the running with three miles of walk breaks.

LOL! :D
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Do it in run/walk intervals. No shame on walking the entire thing either
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    In 10 days there's not much you can do to improve your fitness. Walk it and have fun!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    In 10 days there's not much you can do to improve your fitness. Walk it and have fun!

Yup...not really anything you can do to prep in 10 days.

No shame in walking at all...I signed up for my first 5K before doing much running at all and was completely out of shape as I was just getting started with things...It was a Turkey Trot and all of my family was doing it, so I thought it would be fun. I'd be surprised if I actually ran a mile total...I walked most of it, but it was basically the starting point to getting my fitness on.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Start at the back of the pack. Be prepared to walk a lot. Have a great time!
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    There will be plenty of walkers. But if you wanted to try to run, walk, run, every other day for the next 10 days, 1) to see how you do, 2) to get a feel for what you can do, 3) if you can determine your pace. You might surprise yourself. (Maybe you can only run a 1/2 mile, maybe you can make it a mile, maybe you will only be able to jog for a minute or two, which ever way, you get a feel for it ahead of time. But if you feel any discomfort back off.)

Running is something I have always hated doing, but I need Cardio, and it is something. It is a matter of learning yourself, and what you can do, or pushing past what you thought that you could not do.

Now I am not saying you can in 10 days go from the couch to placing first, but you can be better prepared. And to me, that sounded like what you were asking.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do anything to prep.
    If you get too ambitious in the days leading up to the race, you'll likely end up sore or injured, which will be even worse than not prepping at all.

Walk it, or do intervals on race day.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    agree with the folks that say walk it or some intervals - you could do like a :30 run/1 min walk interval or 1min run/2min walk
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Convince a friend to go with you. Walk together, talk the whole way, and you'll have had a nice visit doing a pleasant thing. I did this with a friend for our first 5K and we enjoyed it a lot. And no, we didn't do any training or prep of any kind beforehand. And if memory serves, there might have been beer afterwards.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    If you are training Muay Thai consistently, your cardio is probably better than you think it is. Go for it!
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Brabo_Grip wrote: »
    If you are training Muay Thai consistently, your cardio is probably better than you think it is. Go for it!

No, no, no! Trying to run 5K when your cardio is fine but your legs haven't been conditioned for running at all is asking for major soreness the next day, perhaps so bad that you can't walk normally. Been there, done that, had to get a real training program to be able to run the distance.

She has ten days. So you are saying she should drop out? Or you can point her in the right direction as to what she needs to do to get ready for it?

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

No, no, no! Trying to run 5K when your cardio is fine but your legs haven't been conditioned for running at all is asking for major soreness the next day, perhaps so bad that you can't walk normally. Been there, done that, had to get a real training program to be able to run the distance.

She has ten days. So you are saying she should drop out? Or you can point her in the right direction as to what she needs to do to get ready for it?

No people are saying either walk or do run/walk intervals.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound like I'm kidding, but the best 5k advice I've ever heard is...go to the bathroom when you get to the race location. If there are long lines, immediately turn around and get back in line again. There is nothing worse than getting all lined up and ready to go, then realizing you have to GO.

Every 5k I've ever done has had lots of walkers and people doing intervals, so you'll be in good company either way. Start at the back of the pack and keep to the right. If you opt to run with headphones or earbuds, keep the volume on the lower side so you can hear the people around you. Most importantly, have fun!
  • JosephPulaski
    JosephPulaski Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Run like the wind
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You could do a couple of 1-2 mile training 'runs' (intervals) to see how you get on, I wouldn't try the whole 5k before the race.

Have fun!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It's a 5k, not a marathon. I would think most any already active adult should be able to mostly run it, even if at a very slow pace. Jog a little now and see how it feels. Jog / Walk the event and have fun.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Start c25k from zenlabs today. You will be up to a 90 seconds job followed by 2 min walk repeat for the whole race in 10 days.
    Then complete c25k and start doing this and next year do the same 5k and kill your time