Which food would make you gain more weight?

Options
hs1744
hs1744 Posts: 6 Member
Suppose you had two foods: a bagel with cream cheese 1c strawberries and 1/2c oatmeal with yogurt and 1c strawberries. The first option would weigh about 270g and the second about 575g. Obviously, the second option weighs a lot more. The first option has more carbs and sodium, though, which affect water retention. Which would cause more weight gain? I mean temporarily, not fat/muscle gain. If salt was added to the oatmeal, would it make a difference? And would my weight gain change if I drank water with the meal? Finally, how long would the weight gain actually last? This is a pretty odd question but my sister and I got into a big debate about this, so I just want to settle it.

Replies

• ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to say. Weight from water retention is highly individual.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    If both put you over your daily calories, it doesn't matter.

If both sit under your daily calories, it doesn't matter.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    The only situation in which I can imagine this mattering is if you're trying to make weight for some event. In which case why don't you just wait and have breakfast after the weigh-in?
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Bit confused with your question. How long are we talking for "temporary"? 10 minutes, a day, a week? If you are talking about which would cause you to gain more weight say 10 minutes after you ate, then obviously whichever one weighed more on the scale, water included. As for longer term, whichever has the most calories. As for any water retention due to sodium that is different for different people.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Temporary weight fluctuations due to sodium/mass is not actual fat gains, so big whoop.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Find a better topic to debate your sister on.