How big a role does sleep play in weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Sleep helps as it reduced cortisol.

However weight loss is ultimately down to a calorie deficit!
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I think the main things with sleep loss are that you produce too much of the stress hormone cortisol which can increase your appetite and also messes with your bodies ability to process carbs, which increases your blood sugar which in turn increases your insulin which can mean your body stores more fat than normal and also increases your insulin resistance (higher risk of diabetes or pre diabetes). xxx I hope you get some sleep soon, take care xxx

https://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?q=sleep+cortisol+insulin&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwimicWzl_fUAhWEaFAKHdORC9AQgQMIJjAA

not sure why my comment got wooed but feel free to read these studies.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    It's very important to my health and happiness regardless of weight loss but I do think quality sleep is a great support. I feel you on the baby makes me get no sleep thing - my 7 month old thinks sleep is something other people do - so even though I only have one I have some comprehension for lack of sleep.

For me, I just go to bed earlier than I did before I had my baby. Sometimes a lot earlier. The nights I go to bed at 9 or 10 I feel much better than the ones I am up until midnight or 1.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Sleep is important to me not so much because of weight loss, but because I lift weights and feel like I recover best when I get a good night of sleep. Of course, I usually don't. During the week I get 6-7hrs. Weekends I get about 10 and my body really loves me then!