Back so many times, I've lost count; don't even know how to begin (a bit long)

Options
Thunderbear2017
Thunderbear2017 Posts: 3 Member
edited July 2017 in Getting Started
In Nov. 2015 I had L4/L5/S1 fusion. I was a weightlifter before that, but oddly, I did not get injured in the gym. I have degenerative disc disease in my lumbar and in my neck, C2-C6 inclusive. I've been on percocet 10/325 since the surgery, had 2 cortisone injections, and RFA (radio frequency ablation). I can walk for about a mile (I found out when I had to leave my truck parked, and walk home), but I was a hurtin' pup. Weight training is possible with modifications... no free weights or strain on the back... seated machines or machines that stabilize my back. Goodbye kettlebell swings. Yeah OK, I can kick myself in the butt and get back in the gym, I can even do my walking on a treadmill. At least I can stop if I'm hurting, and not worry how the heck I'm going to get home.

But it's my diet that I haven't got a clue anymore where to start. Since the surgery and starting the percocet I seem to not have an appetite. I get hungry, my stomach rumbles but I just don't feel like eating. My weight fluctuates 3-5 lbs now and then, though I could stand to lose at least 30. A physiotherapist said it's not how much I'm eating but what I'm eating and when... lots of starchy carbs. Sometimes I do eat during the day, sometimes I eat at night. Like, 1 am pb&j sandwicheS, or cold cereal. I was never like this in my gym and weight training days before the surgery.

I'm trying to go vegetarian. I haven't eaten anything with nipples or fur in a couple of months. I still eat chicken, fish, eggs. It's for religious reasons (I'm a white western Hindu), though it's my choice, not a requirement to be vegetarian (only about 30-40% of Hindus are veg., but virtually no one eats beef). I've used keto in the past but I'd have to abandon the switch to vegetarian. It's not really a problem because the concept of non-violence extends to ourselves, i.e. making myself unhealthy is wrong too. Btw, I'm familiar with resistant starch. That could work because I love potatoes, rice, pasta. I suppose I'd cook it, refrigerate it, then reheat it. That might work on a paleo-type plan. Though I could be wrong.

Anyway... I've taken to using sugar in my coffee, whereas I used to use Splenda or Equal... I can't abide the taste now. Oddly, I used to drink my coffee black years ago. I suppose I can do it again. Now, I can package small meals for home and work. I know how to do that, but what happens is that I lose my appetite, the food either goes to waste or back in the refrig., and my hunger catches up with me later with a vengeance. If I force myself to eat that food... well, it just ain't gonna happen.

So, I'm just a hot mess. :neutral: My insurance won't cover a nutritionist, and I can't afford one. Even if it did or I could, I don't know what I'd do about the appetite thing.

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I would check out some of the stickies threads in the General Weight Loss forum.

A lot of red flags that I am seeing is that a physio (who has no formal training in diet or nutrition) is suggesting that calories are not king. It's the age old calories versus nutrition debate. In addition, meal timing does not matter. Grab yourself a food scale, weigh all solids, and simply eat in a deficit.
  • Thunderbear2017
    Thunderbear2017 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I kind of thought as you said about the calories. I have a good digital scale I use for cooking. I need to start using it for portion control. I think my fear is thinking I have to give up things I like. Been there, done that, doesn't work. But maybe it's a matter of instead of having the whole cheesecake, maybe just a small slice.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I agree some of your physios nutrition advice does not sound correct. When you eat is mostly irrelevant as long as you time things in a way that makes you happy. It might be worthwhile to cut down the carbs some if you arent getting enough protein or fat, but plenty of people are successful on high carb diets too.

Have you tried any shakes or smoothies to see if you are more able to tolerate those when your appetite is low, that might help level things out so you aren't quite so ravenous when your appetite kicks back in?

Hope you find a solution soon. Best wishes!