Do You Guys Fret Over Unbalanced Meals?

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    No...I think people get way too worked up about macros...they're a nice thing to be aware of, but we've all survived for hundreds of thousands of years without tracking macros.

Also, one's macro ratios would be a very individual thing..."balance" would be pretty relative. A competitive marathon runner would likely have a very different macro blend than a competitive body builder for example.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I try to get to my protein goal because it helps me feel more satisfied. If I don't get there some days I will be okay.
    I spent years not paying attention to this stuff and I am still alive.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I tend to focus on trying to get my balance of macros over the course of the day in total rather than worrying about individual meals.
  • annabel92
    annabel92 Posts: 77 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It depends if you're just trying to lose weight or if you're trying to get fit/healthy, and how consistent it is.

If you're trying to lose weight, if you're under your calorie count it doesn't really matter too much. However, if you're wanting to get fitter and healthier, it's more important to make sure your macros are right - particularly protein (for fitness especially) and fibre, of course!

However, if it's only occassional you really don't need to worry.

• infinitynevermore
    infinitynevermore Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I don't. My fat is usually higher than my goal, but since I'm still losing weight, I'm probably going to just adjust the goal. My sodium is over half the time and I always have at least two days in a week that my sugar is too high, but my bloodwork is perfect so I don't worry about it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Individual meals? Never.

I focus on the daily and weekly level.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    No...I think people get way too worked up about macros...they're a nice thing to be aware of, but we've all survived for hundreds of thousands of years without tracking macros.

Also, one's macro ratios would be a very individual thing..."balance" would be pretty relative. A competitive marathon runner would likely have a very different macro blend than a competitive body builder for example.

I totally agree. There are minimums that people need to hit for health purposes, but they are low enough that almost anyone can hit them even on VLCD. Anything above that is personal tweaking and can handle a lot of leeway.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Nope. I have the chrome extension which shows my macro spread after logging breakfast and it changes as each food item is logged. It's cute and colorful, but I don't fret about it.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    annabel92 wrote: »
    It depends if you're just trying to lose weight or if you're trying to get fit/healthy, and how consistent it is.

If you're trying to lose weight, if you're under your calorie count it doesn't really matter too much. However, if you're wanting to get fitter and healthier, it's more important to make sure your macros are right - particularly protein (for fitness especially) and fibre, of course!

However, if it's only occassional you really don't need to worry.

I lost 50lbs and improved all my health markers by only focusing on calories -never tracked or paid attention to macros. A few years into maintenance I still don't pay attention to macros, still in excellent health and have a current bmi of around a 20.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Nope. Weight loss is 100% about the calories you consume, not the macros. But I do try to meet my protein goal.

This. I'll go over my cals (no more than 100) if it means hitting my protein goal. This doesn't happen everyday though. I used to go crazy worrying about carbs and fats. That's why this process never worked for me. But now that I only focus on cals and protein I feel so much better!

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I try to balance it all out over time. For example, if we have a starchy, noodle-filled supper one night, I'll try to plan a less starchy meal the next night. If we have a high-red meat meal one night, I'll try to plan vegetarian or fish dinner for the next. If we travel and eat low-fiber fast food for a couple days, you'll see grains on the menu when we get home. Otherwise, I just go for variety.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    No
  • Fat2Fab1988
    Fat2Fab1988 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I usually do but after reading these comments, maybe I shouldn't anymore? Although I can never seem to reach my protein goal and that will probably always bother me :/
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I do now. Namely if there's a trend lasting more than a day or two.

The last time I got down to 170 lbs, I looked like a whole steaming heap of *excreted Kitten Chow*. Not at all like the last time I'd been that weight.

This time, when I get there, I don't want to look that imbalanced again. So, I'm carefully monitoring my protein intake in an attempt to spare as much lean tissue from catabolism as possible and limiting my carbohydrates to play with the remainder.

It's the one thing I haven't done yet. And it's making me really mindful to keep my calories where they should be as well without feeling obsessive about it (yet?), so I'm hopeful it's the piece I've been missing to finally be successful again like I was in 2004.
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    As long as my body feels good, I don't worry about it overly much. If I don't get enough carbs I end up exhausted really fast ( to the point of laying down and not having the energy to move for a good long time). Not enough fat or protein and I'm hungry a lot quicker. I don't really have carb crashes unless I eat like 5 servings of pasta at once or something. I worry more about hydration as my kidneys aren't fond of me not getting enough water!

ETA: My bloodwork, even my obese weight boodwork, is excellent according to my doctor. So no matter what I eat that isn't gong to get better (I just hope it doesn't get worse...that would be my luck lol).