Taking laxatives to lose weight so bad? Thoughts?

Options
Is this really that bad?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Who are you trying to impress?

I'm old enough to be receiving medical advice to have the occasional colonoscopy. It's 3 lb.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Yes. Besides the unnecessary risk of side effects, all you are doing is dehydrating yourself. You will need to add that water weight back again by increasing fluid intake. You are not getting rid of body fat, so I can't see any benefit.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Isnt this what Anorexics do?? :huh:

OP becoming reliant on laxatives, or laxative abuse is a sure fire way to destroy your health and natural bowel movements! Do you want to HAVE to take laxatives for the rest of your life because you can no longer crap on your own, or suffer from fecal incontinence? Do you want to suffer from malnutrition because you poop out everything you eat?

All of this because you want to take the "easy" way out instead of putting in the effort to lose weight like the rest of us here.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    It's a form of bulimia and you can become dependent to the point where you will no longer be able to go to the bathroom naturally. Bulimia is a dangerous disorder that almost destroyed my life. Purging in any form is never a good habit to start.
  • acresb164
    acresb164 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have recently had issues with this, I went away on a trip back in February and had some issues so I started taking laxatives, but ever since then I've been using them to keep me "regular". I feel bloated and heavy if I don't go every 1-2 days, so I always end up relying on them. It absolutely doesn't help you lose weight, it's all water weight. If anything you gain weight because your unable to absorb proper nutrition, so your body holds on to what it can. You do not want to become dependent on laxatives, so avoid them as much as possible.

If you are having issues staying regular, take fiber supplements, they definitely help and you don't have to worry about becoming dependent on them.

• Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Exercise, eat right, sleep and drink water...create a deficit ...the weight will fall off. Don't mess with that stuff. Try a nutritionist and a gym...make a change for life.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Yes. You're not even losing fat. What even is the point. Don't do it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yes. It is a big red flag of significant disorder. Not to mention, it doesn't even work. It's not like you're crapping out the food whole - it still gets processed, you're still taking on the calories. Plus, laxative abuse - and yes, it is abuse if you don't need them - can lead to dependence. Do you really want to become dependent on poop pills for the rest of your given days?

Plus, you're BMI is already under 20. You may want to seek some professional help if abusing laxatives for weight loss is seeming like a legit option to you.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Because they really suck.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Bulimia.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP you're 5'2 and 108lbs, how much more underweight do you plan on getting?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Is this really that bad?
    Ask Karen Carpenter. Oh wait, she's dead.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

<3
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    yes its bad
    and its a scary question to ask.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Poop is not weight loss. Poop is poop. That's like taking off your sweater and claiming you lost 3 lbs.

#facks . This person knows what they're talking about.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,208 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders
    a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal. A growing list of support resources can be found in our Eating Disorder Resources page.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    JustSomeEm
This discussion has been closed.