Elliptical for running

Options
I don't know if this was asked before, but I guess that I should try to ask it. First let me give you a little background. I completed the C25K program few weeks ago and I was in an amazing rhythm. I was training for my first 10K, which is scheduled on October, and doing the stronglifts program. I was easily running around 4 miles every other day and doing the stronglifts program on my days off (I started the program with very light weights, but I was very comfortable). Silly me, though, I, out of the blue, decided to do kettlebell swings and badly hurt my back. I was in so much pain that I had to go to the doctor. The doctor said that I had a back spam, and that I should be back to running in 10 days. Well, is almost 14 days and the pain and discomfort still there. Obviously I cannot run, and I will go see the doctor again next week (still debating whether I should go to the Orthopedist or the Chiropractor). I, though, have been doing the elliptical with no problems, so the question I have is, will doing the elliptical somehow help my running? Has anyone transitioned from the elliptical to running? What was the experience? Thanks for your help...

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Elliptical can help with your endurance, but it's non impact. So it won't improve your running. That's the reason why you don't feel your discomfort. Since running is an impact exercise, the jarring you get from it is likely the reason you feel discomfort.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    any cardio will help, but elliptical isn't the same as running.

I would see a physio about your back.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I have been there, so sorry for you!

Whenever I have any pain running, I do elliptical if I can. It isn't exactly the same thing, but it helps a lot to maintain aerobic capacity and works many of the same muscles. Also, it could help your back, if you do the arm movements. Walking is also supposed to also help your back. Mostly: keep moving.

You can go see a PT for some back exercises, but I'm not surprised that it's taking more than a week to recover.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help and advice. I will try to schedule an appointment with my GP to get a referral for the Physical Therapist.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I've used the Life Fitness Pro machines to train for a running PT test more than a few times.

It's not exactly the same, but it's close enough.

You will need to work the intensity