Workout Programs from Instagram - Are they a scam??

Hello everyone!

Let me preface this with the fact that I am still very new to working out. I have not lost much weight yet but have learned a few things from this forum already.

Just wanted to get your opinions on fitness guides before I jump in and buy some.

There seems to be a lot of women on instagram that sell ebooks and coaching. Has anyone had experience with these?

For example, I was looking at the guide by Tammy Hembrow (because having a great backside like her is my end goal). Though I did a little research and found this terrible review on it: https://www.workoutbattle.com/tammy-hembrow-workout-review/

Has anyone here bought it themselves and think it's worth it? The girl who wrote that post certainly didn't haha.

Thanks so much for any replies,

Miranda

Replies

• curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    while you and I most likely have different goals in fitness almost any program can generate results if you put in the actual time, work, rest, and most importantly the nutrition. I would listen to the ladies on MFP I've seen strong curves and stronglifts suggested many times to people looking for results like your looking for.
  • DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    I signed up to a $50 8 week program from Instagram back in January and had good results from that. I know I could have found the same information on the internet for free but the support via email and regular check ins and accountability made it worth it to me.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Unfortunately it's very difficult to tell. In this day and age, showcasing oneself as a trainer on IG & social media platforms is huge and often the way many of us feel we need to promote ourselves. They gap comes when fit looking, yet not very educated in fitness people are extremely adept at marketing. There are a lot of trainers that know their stuff, there are many more that just look like they do. Follow people, see what they post. See if they are teaching vs showing off.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    There are very, very few people I'd buy anything from on IG. If I were to do so, it would be from someone with real qualifications (booty shots are not a qualification). However, there are numerous programs out there for free that you'll get success from too. If your goal is a nice posterior then you need to buy from the god of butts, Bret Contreras.
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    I still don't understand why wowmen these days want bigger butts these days! Lol! Please, take mine!
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Get strong curves. Go to the website of the author. That's all you need!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    There are very, very few people I'd buy anything from on IG. If I were to do so, it would be from someone with real qualifications (booty shots are not a qualification). However, there are numerous programs out there for free that you'll get success from too. If your goal is a nice posterior then you need to buy from the god of butts, Bret Contreras.

I agree with this.

I would only pay for a program by someone reputable, for example Bret or Kellie Davis (of Strong Curves). Most Instagram/fitness models, while they have experience and know how to train, don't have the kind of backing I would trust.

Definitely look into Strong Curves. That is the program that helped my booty the most. Also keep in mind, the glute muscles require fuel to grow, so if you are looking to add size to them eating at maintenance or surplus would be the best way to get results. I don't know if a lot of those fitness models mention that...
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Another vote for Strong Curves. If you want a great butt it is a proven program. I got my book used for about $20. I'm on week 10 of the Beautiful Beginners program and am loving my results.
  • katiefullman
    katiefullman Posts: 12 Member
    I just wanna add.. you're probably better off paying for a trainer. I do Crossfit and we've been doing Wendlers strengthening program at my box for a few months now. This is the result I saw on my butt.

19748842_10155500747014806_7931715877795865719_n.jpg?oh=6ddf85a2236dccfb75f52fbb7736a838&oe=59CCECAA

So if you really wanna pay for a program to make sure you do it or for the support and the check ups I'd tell you to join a Crossfit box. Sure, it's expensive but it's also very effective and when you combine the cost of a gym membership + a trainer or an online program it's almost the same (at least where I live, Crossfit is even cheaper then what an online trainer + a gym membership costs.)

Great progress!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited July 2017
    There seems to be a lot of women on instagram that sell ebooks and coaching. Has anyone had experience with these?

i watch a lot of 'fitness' related stuff these days, but i just ignore all those booty-shot fitness people. so no experience, but i thought my reasons why might be helpful in making your decision.

i just find the professionally pretty people irritating. maybe i picked the wrong ones, but they seemed to talk way more about their own lifestyles and lives and not nearly enough [for my tastes] about the technicalities of their workouts. since it's the technicalities i'm interested in, the people i watched just bored and annoyed me. i kept thinking 'i'm not trying to learn what it's like to be you', you know? because i wasn't. i'm not them, i'm me. so i didn't consider all that information useful in any way.

the other thing they offer a lot of which just isn't my thing, is 'affirmation'. again, it's a matter of personal taste. that doesn't interest me either, so i wouldn't personally pay someone money just to blow mail-order sunshine up my butt every couple of days.

hope you find what you're looking for. fwiw my own gateway to strength training was stronglifts 5x5, but a) i totally blew off the person who sells it, and b) i might not have been after the same things you are. gl with it.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Don't pay for it. Instead, there are a ton of good free stuff to help. I use the Bodyspace app, and there are literally 1000's of free workouts, everything from beginner to advanced, from weight loss to muscle gains, and everything in between. Cost: $0. It's also social so there are a bunch of other people on there also working on thier body's: ie a lot of friendly, motivated people from all walks of life. I'm "friends" with people that range from a morbidly obese gentlemen to woman bodybuilders. 99% of everyone is super friendly (there's always one or two guys on EVERY site that will send you the dick pic...ugh) but they are far and few between and get banned fairly quickly.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited July 2017
    Why pay when there are a ton of great programs for free or highly regarded. Strong Curves seems to have helped many of the women here. I wish I could motivate my wife to try it out. It would help her with her goals but she doesn't want to lift weights...grrr!

https://bretcontreras.com/wp-content/uploads/Strong-Curves-Workout-Templates.pdf
    https://www.reddit.com/r/StrongCurves/

Another one to consider is Thinner, Leaner, Stronger by Michael Matthews. His book for men is really good (Bigger, Leaner, Stronger) is highly prazed in the bodybuilding and strength training forums. It's kind of mixed training method that uses principles of Starting Strength and adds in some of the concepts of bodybuilding. I would be using this if not for my current goals are more geared to powerlifting. I have not read Thinner, Leaner, Stronger but I have the other book. 3 times in fact. The sections of nutrition during weight loss are fantastic.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member
    Well a couple of things I would look at first are your genetics. So many women talk about wanting to look like so and so and if their shape isn't similar to begin with, it AIN'T gonna happen. People's backsides are shaped different from how their hips are, whether their glutes hang "high" or "low", etc.
    If you have "high" glute muscles, doing hip thrusters at the wrong angle will accentuate growing higher and you'll have a sagging low glute which is what many women don't want.
    Different shapes are trained differently if they are trying to achieve the result visually they want.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 40 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,863 Member
    7-year zombie thread!
  • AmunahSki
    AmunahSki Posts: 181 Member
    edited September 11
    For example, I was looking at the guide by Tammy Hembrow (because having a great backside like her is my rear end goal).

Fixed it for her! :lol: