Can I workout immediately after consuming food?

Options
2»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    It is only wrong if it makes you nauseous or barf. Even the "wait one hour before swimming" has been debunked.

Me, I don't like working out on a full stomach but to each his own.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Or is it wrong because then, body will burn the eaten calories and not stored fat from the body?
    Stored body fat is burned when you're in deficit. You don't burn stored body fat exercising. You burn it at rest while on a calorie deficit.
    It's fine to eat before, but if you're workouts are intense, you may get an unsettling feeling and nausea.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I eat a snack because I am a type 2 diabetic, specialty if my blood sugar is 120-130. I know if I don't eat I will be hypoglycemic and I won't be able to finish my workout.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Can you? Sure
    Will it impact your weight loss or gain? Not really.
    Likely hood you'll puke depending on your work load? High.

This. I've done it not by choice but because sometimes it happens when you have schedules.
    Just cause it's freshly in your stomach doesn't mean it will be burnt off. In fact it will possibly make you sluggish for your workout
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Depends on your workout. I would give yourself a good 30 minutes after eating for cardio. If you lift weights, go for it!
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter either way. It's a personal preference thing. I eat a large breakfast (bowl of shredded wheat, lots of fruit, 2 cups of coffee, and 32 Oz of water) about 1 hour prior to workout mostly because I take scheduled classes back-to-back and need lots of energy (and typically don't eat again until dinner). It does make me feel a bit sluggish at first, but I don't feel comfortable working out on an empty stomach and just water.