Probiotics

Options
whitpauly
whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
I've been trying different brands of these things for years because I keep reading how important they are for health, I don't take them thinking they help with weight loss or anything just trying to improve my health but I've been thinking that they're just the newest fad(an expensive one at that!) Thoughts?

Replies

• MossiO
    MossiO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If your gut flora is already fine, then you're already fine. Probiotics are generally good after you've taken antibiotics which wipe out all the bacteria in your gut, or if you're struggling with other digestive issues. But if your gut flora is already fine, they won't do much. A better idea would be to incorporate probiotic foods into your diet, like sauerkraut, yogurt, kombucha.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    If someone has an actual digestive health issue, or have been taking antibiotics, or have a travel related problem then they can be helpful. As a species we are loosing the digestive biome range we used to have.

Recently I was listening to a BBC radio programme which said we have several thousand fewer species of digestive microbes than their named tribe living the way their ancestors did. Our food species have also reduced because agriculture find it easier to have only a few seed varieties, this contributes to the reduction in microbes. Diversity of foods favours our spectrum of microbes. One medic in a previous programme in the same series pointed to a general reduction in our microbes causing/contributing to poor immune systems, and illnesses such as diabetes. I have read mothers are passing fewer digestive microbes on to our children than we used to, put down to restricted western diet and antibiotic use.

My personal experience as an older person has been dramatic. I had many rounds of antibiotics in childhood, then more as I had a tendency to chest infections. I also used aspirin and other pain relief. I developed Hashimoto's at some stage, went on to find myself reacting to chemicals, anything from washing powder residues on others to cleaning products and perfumes as well as varnishes, adhesives and the like. Among other things Hashimoto's reduces digestive transit which can lead to constipation which makes the digestive tract less hospitable to digestive microbes, going too being loose, going too often also is problematic, they do not have the required opportunity to replicate themselves. Subsequent deficiencies can also reduce the bodies ability to make the digestive enzymes it needs to aid digestion. Advised by a BANT registered Nutritionist, I increased my hci and pepsin, consumed more fibrous foods and used other digestive supplements. Supported my liver. Eventually I discovered a brand which supplied a range of digestive microbes which did not increase my histamine/salicylate levels and things improved. Women are commonly laid low by yeast overgrowth, it causes amongst other things cystitis, I found using a product designed for women's health, and this helped too.

My situation was complicated because I found I could not eat foods, fruit and veg predominantly which use salicylate as their means of protecting themselves from moulds and mildews, this contributed to yeast overgrowth things being out of balance in my digestion.

I've reduced my thyroid antibodies, avoided foods which were causing molecule mimicry, (used specific supplements to support thyroid health). I started taking vit b12 with the intrinsic factor (essential for those with reduced enzyme production because it takes the b12 through the stomach to the duodenum where it is absorbed) I also use a range of digestive enzymes for my polyphenol and casein intolerances and I have my life back. One has to do what is right for oneself. My life had been so restricted I lost the close relationship I had with my son's children. I'm now working to rebuild it again.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    I've been trying different brands of these things for years because I keep reading how important they are for health, I don't take them thinking they help with weight loss or anything just trying to improve my health but I've been thinking that they're just the newest fad(an expensive one at that!) Thoughts?

A fad, perhaps.

My husband has started taking a daily probiotic (about 4 months ago) as he'd heard it could help with heartburn. Now he takes it daily instead of Nexium. Occasionally he'll need a Tums, but it does seem to help his heartburn. And there are potentially complications with long term Nexium use. Plus the probiotic he uses is about $12 per month rather than $30.
  • geltner2
    geltner2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Research is in the early stages so try to keep current with the articles. I use Culturelle which is a single bacteria probiotic. It's a kind of lactobacillus that has been shown not to be destroyed by the stomach's acids. I also try to eat non-dairy yogurt with live cultures from time to time.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I take a daily probiotic, because I'm a picky eater so my diet isn't very diverse. I started taking it about the same time I started going to Yoga again, so it's hard to know for sure which one has me feeling better:)