Plum Salad

Options
MinatoandClover
MinatoandClover Posts: 160 Member
I created this salad a few weeks ago. My boyfriend loves it. A nice, cool dish to beat the heat.

31889007_7273.jpg

You'll need:

1 large head of lettuce
I use iceberg (because that's what's available,) but it would probably taste great with romaine.

Mixed greens or baby spinach (about 2 cups)
I don't know how better to describe this. There's this package just called "Baby Leaf" that I pick up at the store. It has spinach and other greens in it. It also goes well with spinach, though, so whatever works for you.

1 large white onion
Chop it and caramelize it. It might sound weird for a salad, but it works in this one. If it's not cooked, it's too strong for the salad, in my opinion. This is a sort of sweet salad, so the sweetness of the caramelized onions goes well with it.

5-7 small plums
It depends on how big the plums are and how much you want in the salad. It also might taste good if you grill the plums, but I've never tried it myself.

One normal-sized carrot
I generally cut it in thin slices with a peeler because I think the texture goes well with it. You can cut it however you like.

60-70 grams of almonds
These aren't necessary, if you don't want them, but I think they add a lot of nice flavor to the salad. Add as many or as few as you like. If you don't like almonds, walnuts would probably taste pretty good, too. Or if you're allergic to nuts, plain croutons (I advise against seasoned,) some of those crispy chow mein noodles that come in a can or chicken might go well, too.

For salad dressing, I add a little bit of olive oil and some lemon juice. I've also thrown cucumbers in, before, which makes the salad slightly more refreshing. This might also taste good with feta or blue cheese in it, though I've never tried it.

It's a sweet and tangy salad. I think it's really good. (Just about to have some, now.)

An entire batch with all the primary ingredients listed (minus olive oil) is about 850 calories. At 6-8 servings a batch, a single serving is about 110-145 calories. Using MFP's calculations, 1 serving (1/6 batch) is 18g carbs, 6g fat, 5g protein, 57mg sodium and 11g sugar. I'll consider adding it to the database upon request.

Enjoy!

Replies