"You're tall. You don't want to get too skinny."

Options

Replies

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've gotten that but I'm 5'7". I feel tall since so many of my friends are 5'-5'2" and my husband is 5'8" but not really that tall. ;)
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"8, 133ish, and size 4 usually. I don't see what's wrong with that. I mean there was times where I was thin from unhealthy means, but right now I'm lean from a healthy diet. That's a good thing. :) you're goal weight if perfectly fine.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    So yes, 5'8" and above for females is generally seen as tall.

Pshaw. I'm only 5'7" and have gotten "You're tall." (and have been rolling my eyes at the comment) ever since I sprung up to that height in the 7th grade. The US national average is 5'2" to 5'5" for women, depending on what population you are looking at. If a woman is even marginally taller than that, she seems to be considered tall by some people. Regardless if it's really true or not.

I'm not going to lie, when I think of "taller girl," I think back to my days of binge watching America's Next Top Model. The cut off to enter was typically 5'8" with a few 5'7" girls slipping by.. not that I tried to enter or anything. :sweat_smile:

Somehow my perception of height has forever been altered by my intrigue with fashion models back in the day. But obviously it boils down to perception.

When I think of tall women, it starts at 5'10"-5'11" and goes up from there. That's my point: A lot of women are told they are tall when, in fact, they are not. A least in the US. :)

Average height of women in the US is 5'4-5'5 depending on who you believe... STDEV is 3-4 inches. so 5'1=5'9"

So yes. 5'10" is where "tall" starts statistically.

Well.... clothing sizes disagree with you. At 5'7 I've needed "talls" my entire life.

Same here, I'm 5"8. So many of my pants, especially track pants are ankle freezers on me. I don't know how really tall women find pants that are long enough.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm not tall (5'5.5"), started at 241 lbs, yet at my current 165 lbs, my friends and some of my family think I need to stop. My goal is 145 lbs, which I've never told any of them. I also have no plans to discuss my diet with them. My weight, my business.
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'm between 5'9 and 5'10 and down to 171 from a high of 284. Nowhere near "too skinny" but people sometimes tell me to stop or I will disappear. I am shooting for 150-155 to re-evaluate and I think of the comments as just "awkward compliments" because I think that's the intention!
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    5'9" here and according to the clothing industry am definitely tall. The "standard" 28-30 inch inseams are just way to short for me. I have had to wear talls to get 32-33 inch inseams ever since junior high (longer if I want to wear with heels). Otherwise...pants just look ridiculous. No one needs to see my ankles when I'm wearing jeans!
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Aerona85 wrote: »
    5'9" here and according to the clothing industry am definitely tall. The "standard" 28-30 inch inseams are just way to short for me. I have had to wear talls to get 32-33 inch inseams ever since junior high (longer if I want to wear with heels). Otherwise...pants just look ridiculous. No one needs to see my ankles when I'm wearing jeans!
    My biggest problem is that I have a long torso and most companies don't offer long in shirts. I need the long pants too, but I've given up and make a lot of my shirts.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Aerona85 wrote: »
    My biggest problem is that I have a long torso and most companies don't offer long in shirts. I need the long pants too, but I've given up and make a lot of my shirts.

Me too. I'm 5'10 so tall anyway but longer in the torso and only 33.5" inside leg. Dresses are so difficult as even the tall ranges in shops tend to just add the extra length to the legs and don't think about body proportions. /rant.

Anyway, back to the OP - I would just say that being taller makes it harder to estimate how much weight will equate to a dress size on a taller frame. If you feel happy with your goal weight then that's your beusiness and not for anyone to comment on, but I know if it were me I don't even know what clothes size I would be if I lost x amount of pounds.
  • jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I can commiserate about the long torso. Ever try to find a one-piece bathing suit?

Everyone's body is different. I'm 5'11" and a size 10 @ 177lbs.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    erienneb66 wrote: »
    I'm a smidge under 5'8" and once took a trip to Europe via China - when in Shanghai I was a giant, way taller than all women and most men. 12 hours later I was in Germany and felt like a midget with almost everyone towering over me. It was a very odd sensation.

I'm a 6' female and when I was in Shanghai people kept wanting to take pictures with me haha

OMG that me LOL :laugh: They thought you were an Amazon woman!
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I'm 186cm (6'1ish), and whilst I haven't had people telling me to stop yet, I still have people trying to tell me what they think my weight should be. Since I haven't been at a healthy weight since my pre-teens, I don't even know what I should be weighing, but when I get there I will. at 96kg (210lbs) I'm in an AU14/16 (US10/12?) pants, if I can find them long enough, and I still have a long way to go. Weight sits differently on us Amazonians, and sometimes I think people tend to forget that.

Provided you are happy, and your doctor is happy, then that's all that matters (my husband may get to weigh in with an opinion as well I guess ;) ). The opinion of the rest of the world can go jump.
  • Ainadan
    Ainadan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8.5 and since I am with all Chinese people, I feel very tall. But I have a short torso. Finding a dress is kind of hard because they look short on me, even if they look normal on other people. And it's not the "Show some leg and be sexy" kind of short, but rather the "Your clothes don't fit" kind. :/
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    No I don't get that. Everyone has a different body type/frame. Some tall girls probably look better at a size 12. I'm 5'10" and size 6 is perfect for me.
  • ahealthyenthusiasm
    ahealthyenthusiasm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 6' 0.5"... and in my profile picture I was 190 pounds. There are a lot of factors that influence weight (muscle mass, boobage, booty, etc), so focusing on weight is a moot point. Everyone's going to be different. I know, for me, I have a larger bone structure, maintain a booty, and carry a lot a muscle. I'm a dense mo fo, and know I'm HAPPY and HEALTHY when I'm at that size.

Just focus on being happy with yourself and healthy. Disregard anyone's negative comments. Those opinions are their problem, not yours. :smile:
  • Nmarine1996
    Nmarine1996 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I love this post! I always get(I'm 5'8) you're tall you can't lose too much weight.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    erienneb66 wrote: »
    I'm a smidge under 5'8" and once took a trip to Europe via China - when in Shanghai I was a giant, way taller than all women and most men. 12 hours later I was in Germany and felt like a midget with almost everyone towering over me. It was a very odd sensation.

I'm a 6' female and when I was in Shanghai people kept wanting to take pictures with me haha

They wanted pictures of me 'cause I'm Black. *shrug*