Smoothies (my recipe - also looking for suggestions for items to add)

Options
KristieJC
KristieJC Posts: 243 Member
I started making my own smoothies to boost my produce intake. This is my recipe, which uses coconut milk because I don't eat dairy and I don't like soy or almond. I include the vinegar and ginger for the health benefits I've read that they each provide. This recipe makes a pretty big and thick smoothie. Since you can't guzzle it, it lasts a good while which helps hold off my food cravings:

1 cup fresh spinach
1/2 cup fresh pineapple
1/2 cup fresh strawberries
1/2 large banana
1/2 cup frozen mixed fruit
1 cup UNSWEETENED coconut milk (from the refrigerated section, not the Asian food aisle)
1 teaspoon fresh ginger root
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 packet artificial sweetener, if desired
Ice, if desired

I cut the fresh fruit up fairly small. I dump everything in the blender cup except the ice. I blend/liquefy to desired consistency, then add the ice and use the "ice crush" option. I don't use ice in mine, but my husband, who has decided to start drinking my smoothies (YAY!), likes to have the ice.

I use a couple of different types of frozen fruits to get some variety - mixed berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries) and one with mandarins, papaya, and pineapple. I throw fresh cherries in my husband's when they're in season. I'm using peaches also now since they're in season in place of the pineapple and strawberries. The calorie total varies depending on what fruit you use, but mine vary between 230 and 244.

I use the artificial sweetener to cut down on the strong taste the vinegar adds. It's largely masked by all the other ingredients, but I can still taste it. Without the vinegar, this recipe is sweet enough with no sweetener added.

I mix this directly in a blender cup that came with my blender. The base for the blender carafe fits on the blender cup so you can mix it right in the container that you drink it from. This reduces prep time and cleanup, and you don't lose part of your smoothie with transferring from one container to another. I was able to order an extra blender cup and it included another base with the blades as well as an extra gasket. The cups come with a lid with a pop top that you can open to drink it, and the pop top is very tight, so hopefully that reduces any leakage if it tips over.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for low calorie items that would add more nutrients or other health benefits? Also, does anyone know of any protein powders that do not include whey protein?

Replies

• KristieJC
    Options
    Maybe skip the apple cider vinegar. I was reading about it on some other posts and a couple of people said it'll break down your tooth enamel. I'd say if you're considering using it, research that topic first.
  • JellybeansMomFl
    JellybeansMomFl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Your recipe looks good. When i make green smoothies i use 1 cup of spinach/kale, 1/2 c - 1 c frozen fruit , water and 1 cup of rolled oats. The oats keep me fuller longer. I also love to make a smoothie with fresh banana, peanut butter , water, 1 cup spinach and 1 cup rolled oats.
  • KristieJC
    Options
    I thought about kale but was worried it might taste bad. Im not a big fan of it. Does it taste okay?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I would personally reduce the fruit, add more greens (other leafy greens, celery, cucumber, herbs etc), add protein (powder is easy) and a fat source (avo, or nut butter is tasty)

Ditch the vinegar, use it on a salad instead - it makes a tasty dressing component.
  • mdupie
    mdupie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Kristie, isn't coconut milk fattening?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    mdupie wrote: »

Fat isn't fattening. Fat is vital for good health and body function. Overconsumption of calories, from any macro, is what is fattening.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    https://www.splendidtable.org/story/dont-eliminate-bitterness-balance-it-with-fat-and-salt

I use kale in a green smoothie with kefir. The fat in the kefir balances the bitter in the kale. The kefir is tart. I add PB2, which has protein. The protein in the PB2 balances the tartness in the kefir. My green smoothie tastes neither bitter nor tart, but bright and fresh. It's a very interesting effect.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like frozen banana, cold brew coffee, ice and 1/2 a scoop each of Vitacost Earthblends shake(lots of vitamins) and either Quest(salted caramel) or PEScience(snickerdoodle).
  • KristieJC
    Options
    mdupie wrote: »

Like it says, I use the coconut milk from the refrigerated section, not the kind in the Asian food section. The refrigerated kind is comparable to soy or almond milk. 1 cup of unsweetened Silk coconut milk has only 45 calories and 4 grams of fat. The stuff you use for Asian cooking is the high calorie and high fat stuff.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I do 1c plain Greek yogurt as my protein, flax or chia as my fat, 1c of fruit as my carb with 1c unsweetened almond or cashew milk. It's a meal on the go for me
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    ^I also use greek yogurt as my protein.

Other things you can add include for more fiber, fat, and/or flavor:

Low calorie - cocoa powder, cinnamon, chilled coffee, water (in place of some or all of the milk)
    Moderate calorie - chia seeds, ground flax seed, orange juice, oats, nuts, peanut butter (a little goes a long way in a smoothie), granola
  • flower761
    flower761 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Currently obsessed with Jessica Alba's smoothie:
    1 Granny Smith apple
    1/2 cucumber
    2 celery stalks
    1 lemon
    Teaspoon of ginger
    A handful of kale

It's delicious and I feel so good after drinking it, I want to continue the rest of my day with good choices.

I was out of ingredients today except kale so I made this one this morning:
    Half a banana
    Tablespoon flax seed
    Handful of kale
    1/2 cup of almond milk

It was great!