Confused about dropping body fat %

Options
Over the past month, I (30/F) cut calories and engaged in some intense exercise, HIIT (mostly running) and weight lifting. My diet was extremely clean- essentially lean protein, vegetables, limited berries, some nuts, and other healthy fats like avocado and olive oil. During this month, I lost 6.5 pounds. I also dropped 1.5% body fat. Although I was happy with the weight loss, I had thought I would drop more body fat. My body fat % is still high (32.5%) During this month, my muscle mass also went down (just slightly- about 1 pound.) I am wondering if it is possible I did not eat enough of my exercise calories back? I am not sure how this works... would appreciate insight!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    How is your body fat and lean mass being measured? If it is anything other than DEXA, the dunk tank, or the BodPod then there's a good chance that it's inaccurate. I would only worry if the trend continues. Eating "clean" isn't going to prevent lean mass loss any better than getting adequate protein and fats while including "junk" food.
  • crewgirl86
    crewgirl86 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My gym has a body fat scale. It seems to be legit...
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    crewgirl86 wrote: »
    My gym has a body fat scale. It seems to be legit...

It's probably checking it based on impedance. Has handles and/or foot pads you stand on and you put in basic information and it weighs you and gives you a bf%?

It can be a VERY helpful tool, the number itself may not be very accurate, but if you're doing it the same way (nothing to eat, nothing to drink, after using the bathroom, first thing when you get to the gym) then you can probably rely on the numbers so long as your diet is fairly consistent.

Out of curiosity I measured mine before my cardio workout, got 8.8%, measured it after 20 minutes on the stairmaster, down to 6.2, drank about 40oz of water and took a shower, did it again and got 8.1%. Just showing that water levels can have a big effect on it. Doing it consistently the same way though, the numbers should be fairly consistent and a good way to track progress over the long term.
  • crewgirl86
    Options
    Yes! It has handles and footpads, and it has my user information stored inside it. Thank you for your input! My big wondering is- even though body fat is going down slightly, with a loss of muscle mass, is that a sign that I am cutting too many calories to lose more body fat? Am I technically cutting too many calories to the point that I could possibly be losing muscle too? Thanks for your thoughts!
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Yes! It has handles and footpads, and it has my user information stored inside it. Thank you for your input! My big wondering is- even though body fat is going down slightly, with a loss of muscle mass, is that a sign that I am cutting too many calories to lose more body fat? Am I technically cutting too many calories to the point that I could possibly be losing muscle too? Thanks for your thoughts!

It is possible, but honestly, it's not something I would be worried about if you are getting adequate protein and doing weight training. The way it sounds is that you are getting adequate protein and other nutritious foods and keeping in a deficit. Losing at the rate it seems you are losing you should not lose a ton of muscle mass until you get closer to the 16-18% range which is when you may need to either up your protein intake or slow your weight loss down.

I wouldn't get too caught up in the numbers on the machine unless like I said you are doing it consistently the same way.
  • crewgirl86
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Losing muscle could mean that your lifting routine is sub-par, or that your deficit is too steep.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @crewgirl86 A few weeks ago I paid $45 to get in a dunk tank and have my body fat measured accurately. It was 14.3%. I dried off, got dressed, drove home, and immediately took off my shoes and stepped on my impedance scale which has metallic pads for feet and metallic handles for hands to get the best possible reading. My impedance scale said that my bf% was 10.1. As this is the only data point I have, I don't know if the impedance scale is 40% wrong or 4 points wrong. I just know that on that day my body fat % was 14.3. The impedance scale is capable over a period of months of showing you what the trend is. But it is not capable of accuracy or consistency with any single test.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Am I technically cutting too many calories to the point that I could possibly be losing muscle too? Thanks for your thoughts!

i think anyone who's losing weight will lose some of it as fat and some as muscle. there isn't really a way to totally corner it and force it to be only fat, that i know of at least.

anecdotal, but an example: this guy in my lifting group started a strict keto programme on january 1st. he got himself dexa'd on dec 31, where he wouldn't tell me his bf percentage but he has just allowed as how he weighed almost 360 for it. this is a very strong guy who has kept lifting along with us all along. our trainer has been onboard with this project and programming for him so as to try and minimize muscle loss.

so he just did his halfway-point scan. he's lost 70 pounds and according to the new dexa 20 of them were muscle. according to our trainer, and also to mr keto himself, this is a perfectly happy result.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Bioimpedance scales require very consistent conditions to be as accurate as they technology allows.

Even drinking a volume of water before the test can affect accuracy.

You need to weigh yourself at the same time of day each time, not eat for 12 hours, preferably not exercise for 24 hours, and not drink a volume of liquid within 1 hour.

Because bioimpedance readings are so sensitive to fluid changes, lean mass readings will fluctuate and will be less precise. Basically, a 1 lb change in "muscle" is no change at all--it is within the standard of error.

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Am I technically cutting too many calories to the point that I could possibly be losing muscle too? Thanks for your thoughts!

i think anyone who's losing weight will lose some of it as fat and some as muscle. there isn't really a way to totally corner it and force it to be only fat, that i know of at least.

anecdotal, but an example: this guy in my lifting group started a strict keto programme on january 1st. he got himself dexa'd on dec 31, where he wouldn't tell me his bf percentage but he has just allowed as how he weighed almost 360 for it. this is a very strong guy who has kept lifting along with us all along. our trainer has been onboard with this project and programming for him so as to try and minimize muscle loss.

so he just did his halfway-point scan. he's lost 70 pounds and according to the new dexa 20 of them were muscle. according to our trainer, and also to mr keto himself, this is a perfectly happy result.

As a large body reshapes itself, it needs less "infrastructure"--that includes not only muscle, but soft tissue and bone density. I think it is inevitable--and necessary--that someone like that will lose muscle, no matter what.

This is why I urge caution when people throw around phrases like "lifting will keep your muscle" indiscriminately. It can set people up to feel discouraged when they lose muscle, even though for some of them, it is perfectly fine.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Exactly^ you will lose some, no matter what, as weight is lost. It is impossible, and as you point out, not necessarily desirable to not lose some, especially for the person who starts larger. It a tricky terminology thing with lifting. It is a positive thing to minimize muscle loss as opposed to not working towards it at all. But some is inevitable in calorie deficit and weight loss even under ideal conditions.
  • nic11c
    nic11c Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've been in a slightly similar situation. The past month, I've done very similar to yourself in terms of exercise & diet. I lost 5.5 lbs, lost muscle mass, but gained fat mass. It had me down for about a week, but I'm getting back on it tomorrow & will weight myself in another month.
  • mmphelps1970
    mmphelps1970 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Keep going. It takes awhile for the muscle you're building to burn the body fat. Invest time in building muscle and it will pay off. You're on the right track but it's too early for the results you're wanting. Give it two more months and see where you are then. Focus on your plan and the results will take care of themselves--it always takes longer than you think but it will work if you keep doing the work.