Heat and water retention

Options
SCoil123
SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
Does anyone notice an increase in water weight retention when it's really hot out? I know I'm properly hydrated and it is not TOM, nor have I eaten high sodium or anything like that. It has been over 100 degrees here though and I'm up just over 6lb in the 2 days since the heat wave started. I think I just need to hear this has happened to other people too lol, my normal fluctuations are 2-4lb a day so this is high for me.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I do...
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Yup, put me in the heat for a couple of days and I go up a dress size and my shoes don't fit.
    Discovered this on a Caribbean cruise- a suit case of summer dresses and shoes I couldn't wear. Now it is all floaty stuff and flip flops.

Cheers, h.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I swell up pretty bad when it's hot out. Even my fingers and toes swell. It's quite annoying!
  • crewgirl86
    crewgirl86 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Never thought of this before, but definitely explains my disappointing weigh in this week! :)
  • SCoil123
    Options
    Thanks for the replies you guys. I figured that's what it was but we all need a little reassurance from time to time
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I notice no significant difference in scale measurable water retention personally. Very rarely I will notice some tingling in my hands and minor swelling in my feet if I really really overdo it in the heat with hard effort cardio outside in the blaring sun with no hat/sunglasses/water for more than 1.5 hours. It's only happen a couple times though back closer to my heaviest weight. I got smart and listened to my body and started bringing water with me when I went out!

I always feel more thirsty when it's hot but I also sweat more and pee more when I do so I feel like it balances out. I retain 1.5-3 pounds with AF and lose it when she leaves. Apologies for being tmi.
  • SCoil123
    Options
    It's still hot and I am still swollen and weighing in high. The whoosh when my body regulates is something to look forward to though lol.

Checked my weekly average cal just to be sure....yup no way I'm up 7lb now in 3 days.
  • KeriPatricia
    KeriPatricia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Phew. I was worrying as I have been up too and I didn't think it was possible that my login was THAT bad.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    This came up when we had our heat wave a couple of weeks ago. Lots of us blew up! It's been warmer again the last few days but I seem to have largely adjusted. That said, if I run outside when it's warm my fingers get really swollen, doesn't happen when I workout indoors in my stinking hot flat weirdly.
  • SCoil123
    Options
    I am soaking in a cold bath trying to bring my temp down. I don't know how people who live places like Phoenix do this year round.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I enjoy brisk walking outdoors everyday. When it's hot I put on a couple of pounds of water easily.

When it cools down I get a "whoosh" overnight and get back to my maintenance range. It happens like clockwork.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    It's still hot and I am still swollen and weighing in high. The whoosh when my body regulates is something to look forward to though lol.

Checked my weekly average cal just to be sure....yup no way I'm up 7lb now in 3 days.

@SCoil123 What do i click on to see my weekly deficit on fitbit? I've seen it before, but cant flippan remember how i got there :flushed:
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

@SCoil123 What do i click on to see my weekly deficit on fitbit? I've seen it before, but cant flippan remember how i got there :flushed:

Nutrition section, calories button, and you can pick net or total calories for the prior week (Or pick week ending xx)
  • SCoil123
    Options

Mine was my Fitbit dash. I have the accounts linked and use this one for food and that one for activity.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Thankyou :smile:

As to your op. My rings get tight and i have those lovely little sock indentation marks around my ankles when the weather heats up, which does reflect on the scales.