Trying to get my kitchen groove back

Options
gidjinswife
gidjinswife Posts: 36 Member
I used to cook most of our family meals at home, but lately I've gotten into a bad rut of getting easy things for the kids and then scrounging for myself and hubby. Tomorrow I'm ditching kids' swim meet (supposed to be 105, no thank you!) and am going to get some food prepped for the next few days. Anyone else having trouble being motivated to be in the kitchen?

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I spend way too much time on this forum. This place has rekindled my passion for cooking and has inspired me with so many creative new ideas. Stick around and maybe it will rekindle you as well! Since I came here I've learned all sorts of little tricks to reduce calories, sneak in protein, and explore new foods. This is my second favorite feature/place on myfitnesspal second only to the actual food logging.
  • Miffy2610
    Miffy2610 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes I have been the same- kids first husband then me. During the week not getting food prep done between going to gym, entertaining toddler and school pickups and cleaning. My disorganised life sucks
  • gidjinswife
    Options
    We have Summer break right now and I'm pregnant. Swim practice in the morning, home, shove something in my mouth for lunch. Tell the kids not to watch TV too much and maybe give them a couple chores to do and then I crash from being in the sun too long. And then I'm groggy to think about dinner. Today I'm skipping the swim meet and hoping to get some food prep done while I stay inside in my AC with the toddler and hubby and the kids roast in 103 weather.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I am loving sheet pan meals right now. I made fajitas this week. There are tons of recipes out there. If you pre-cut the peppers and onions and put them in a storage bag or container in the frig. Then slice beef or chicken and season it and put in another bag it will come together so fast.

Another super easy meal is unstuffed or inside out egg rolls. Brown some light sausage, dump in a bag of slaw, some seasonings and boom dinner is done. Another go to easy meal. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/12/inside-out-egg-roll-re-post.html

I also made Turkey tacos the other day. Brown ground turkey add 1 tsp. cumin and 1 cup green salsa. It was so good. I topped with some avocado, light sour cream, cilantro and jalapenos. But it would be great with anything. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2017/06/turkey-suiza-tacos.html
  • gidjinswife
    Options
    Taco salad is a good idea. I'll have to add that. I made some plantain muffins, a big quiche and carmelized onion to go into a patê this morning before running out of steam. Gotta throw dinner together and finish that patê and then clean the kitchen. Ugh. It takes so much to keep us fed food that makes us feel good.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I recently invested less than $20 in a small oscillating fan for the kitchen. If I blast that sucker on me I'm nowhere near as hot standing over the stove. Makes being in the kitchen less of a chore in the summer.

I love flavor and the only way to get really good flavors is cooking at home (or spending copious amounts of money to eat out at better restaurants). Prepared grocery store food is bland -- salty, sweet, and bland. Pre-chopped cabbage from the supermarket makes coleslaw that's slightly bitter and bland. Freshly shredding cabbage off the head makes a tasty sweet coleslaw that really tastes of cabbage.

My kitchen is awash in spices, herbs, heads of garlic, curry pastes, etc. There are millions of cooks sharing millions of recipes with how to use them online. If I need inspiration, I just google some ingredients that need using, e.g. summer squash and chicken, and find lots of suggestions of things to try.

Remember, too, that doing easy/bland things for the kids is doing them no favors. The more limited their food experiences now, the less able they will be to enjoy a well-balanced diet full of variety as they age.

• gidjinswife
    Options
    A kitchen fan is an excellent idea. Thankfully the slump has just been a few months through morning sickness and now heat. I think this is the first time ever that I've had the kids eat kid food while I have something else. I have food sensitivities that make any type of convienence food tough, which is a blessing and a curse. I'm so thankful that I've never been healthier and have reversed some symptoms that have plagued me for most of my life, but sometimes a quick, easy meal that didn't require forthought would be amazing. My kids are usually being exposed to a wide variety of veggies as well, except for recently when it's been quesadillas and baby carrots. We've had two meals around the table with us all eating the same thing already today, more than we've done in weeks and it feels so good. Plus MFP is showing much more nutrients being hit and enough food for a growing baby. Now I just need to keep it up.