No longer motivated

Options
I started my weight loss journey in January and I've managed to lose 10kgs with 15kgs to go- i did this with only dieting. However around 2 weeks I started to lose motivation and started eating and drinking whatever I wanted, thankfully I've only put on 1kg. I'm scared that I will continue and lose all the progress I've made. Before two weeks ago I even began working out regularly but I don't know why I stopped. I don't know what to do and I really want to get back on track. Any tips and advice will be appreciated! Also please let me know if you have experienced this!

Replies

• elephanteee
    elephanteee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely experienced this! Changing your eating and exercise habits isn't easy. I've found myself most successful when I plan what I am going to eat before I eat it. Also, include some form of exercise, even if it's small. You will be less likely to eat bad stuff for fear of "wasting" the time and effort you put into exercising. Good luck! You can add me if you'd like. That has helped me a lot too--having a support on MFP from people on the same journey.
  • nanagetshealthier
    nanagetshealthier Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely experienced this! Changing your eating and exercise habits isn't easy. I've found myself most successful when I plan what I am going to eat before I eat it. Also, include some form of exercise, even if it's small. You will be less likely to eat bad stuff for fear of "wasting" the time and effort you put into exercising. Good luck! You can add me if you'd like. That has helped me a lot too--having a support on MFP from people on the same journey.

Glad I'm not the only one! I did used to plan and I found it easier too, I just need to back into the swing of things. Might start going on walks, going to the gym seems like too much effort at the moment haha. I've added you. Thanks for the advice!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,861 Member
    Options
    Baby steps and changes and look for activities and changes that you believe you can keep at for the long term.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Set goals that are not about weight.
    Keep a diary so you remember changes in how you feel and behave, track of your motivations.
    Do things you enjoy and have fun.
    Lastly... Maybe your body is deprived; I always lose motivation when I crash diet. Building sustainable habits is hard, so go easy on yourself. It's a myth that self-discipline can be sustained long term.

Also I don't know if this is one that will help you, but it certainly helped me: take care of your mental health, through meditation, therapy, etc. This is about self-care!
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I have been there too!

Get up in the morning and out on your workout clothes. Then, since you are already dresses you might as well work out.

And then since you've worked out you might as well stick to your eating plan for the rest of the day. You don't want to waste the workout, right? And you should fuel properly for your next workout.

And then before you know it, you are back on track :). But you gotta take that first step.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have been there, but I believe I'm somewhere else now. Only time will tell. What I'm doing differently now, is many things.

I don't rely on motivation - at least not what we usually think about as motivation, extrinsic motivation. Motivation has to be intrinsic - be its own reward. Exactly where the line goes, will be individual. For most people, weight loss/management is an extrinsic motivation. Your weight today is a result of what you did three months ago. I can't even have disease prevention as a motivation. I need to have my motivation close. Feeling good every day, being able to move freely, feeling strong, makes me want to move more, so I move more. Enjoying what I eat makes me want to continue that, so I do. Not worrying about being perfect, helps a lot. Accepting that I'm not going to look like a supermodel, but that having a healthy body is way more important, is essential.

I have been working a lot on my eating habits, my mindset and my environment. I decided to eat and drink whatever I want - but "what I want" wasn't what I used to believe I wanted. I trust that I am in charge of my own food intake, and if I don't eat too much over time, I am not going to regain.

I don't do any planned exercise, but I move every day through normal daily activity.

50 pounds off and maintaining a healthy weight for the longest period in my life so far - 2 1/2 years - effortlessly - feels both amazing and slightly unreal.