Always hungry.

Options
michaelcfish
michaelcfish Posts: 3 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello,
I have been using MFP for almost 2 months now. I have tried to be consistent and regular in tracking but EVERYDAY experience (what I consider) problems with hunger. I am always hungry. Track meals, hungry. Midday, hungry. End of the day, hungry. It is a constant battle and physiological pain I experience. I want to know what others do in order not to feel hungry? My calorie limits are 1500 but as I said I ALWAYS feel hungry and it is mentally and physically painful to experience this DAILY. Please, does anyone have advise, techniques, or some way to not feel hungry all the time??

Replies

• michaelcfish
    Options
    That would be a solution but obviously cannot work because it goes over the 1500 calorie daily limit. Thus my question and original post.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Look at what you're actually eating. It may be that the typed of food you're eating aren't keeping you full. Some people do better with more protein, some do better with more carbs and fiber. Do some experimenting with different types of food and see if that helps.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    How many meals do you eat? Have you tried eating more meals, or less meals? Cutting out or adding snacks? Eating different macrodowns? Experimented with fasting?

Personally, I was always starving eating many "mini" meals. I was always thinking about food and my next meal. After swapping to fewer, bigger meals, and delaying my first meal as long as possible, I feel much more satisfied. I eat higher protein because that's what satiates me more, and I eat a lot of lower cal vegies for volume.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 1650 calories and I'm always hungry. I know there are many things you can try with the types of food you eat but at some point you have to face the fact that at 1500 you may always feel hungry. You are eating at a deficit. For most people, that will cause hunger.

I know, I know, I read these boards and I run across a poster here and there who either can't get themselves to eat their calorie limit (which I don't understand) or there are people who eventually feel satisfied at a deficit. That's not me and it never will be. I've always had a strong appetite. Even when I was a child/young adult and very thin. It will never go away for me.

So you need to decide the amount of hunger you can live with without it forcing you to lose your mind or binge. I'm seem to be handing 1650 okay. Yes, I'm hungry, but not insane hungry. When I drop down to 1400-1500 it gets pretty bad.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? Are you eating back those calories? If not you may be at a much bigger deficit than you think
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    I'm eating 1650 calories and I'm always hungry. I know there are many things you can try with the types of food you eat but at some point you have to face the fact that at 1500 you may always feel hungry. You are eating at a deficit. For most people, that will cause hunger.

I know, I know, I read these boards and I run across a poster here and there who either can't get themselves to eat their calorie limit (which I don't understand) or there are people who eventually feel satisfied at a deficit. That's not me and it never will be. I've always had a strong appetite. Even when I was a child/young adult and very thin. It will never go away for me.

So you need to decide the amount of hunger you can live with without it forcing you to lose your mind or binge. I'm seem to be handing 1650 okay. Yes, I'm hungry, but not insane hungry. When I drop down to 1400-1500 it gets pretty bad.

I think coming to terms with some level of hunger is necessary - hunger is not a bad thing, in fact it's completely normal in my opinion. we don't need to be satisfied all of the time!
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options

I think coming to terms with some level of hunger is necessary - hunger is not a bad thing, in fact it's completely normal in my opinion. we don't need to be satisfied all of the time!

Exactly. And not saying anyone has done it here on this thread, but I've read many threads where people are told that if they just eat right or wait it out for longer, the hunger will dissipate. I just want to say that, for some people, it never does. You are eating at a deficit. Hunger is normal and it's okay. In fact, we are biologically designed to feel hunger which drives us to eat the right things. But, yeah, for the OP, you need to decide how much is normal and how much is going to ruin your day.
  • mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    Options

Exactly. And not saying anyone has done it here on this thread, but I've read many threads where people are told that if they just eat right or wait it out for longer, the hunger will dissipate. I just want to say that, for some people, it never does. You are eating at a deficit. Hunger is normal and it's okay. In fact, we are biologically designed to feel hunger which drives us to eat the right things. But, yeah, for the OP, you need to decide how much is normal and how much is going to ruin your day.

Thanks for this whole thread! I have been told I'm doing something wrong because I feel hungry. I went from eating LARGE volumes of food, and never feeling hungry, to actually thinking about what I eat.

For me, feeling hungry is actually a good thing. Not starving, mind you, but hungry. I'm trying to learn how to eat according to my body's energy needs, rather than just scarring down burrito bowls..
  • elephanteee
    elephanteee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is the case for you, but I know for myself that I didn't really know what hunger was. I hadn't felt it in so long. I think when we overeat for long periods of time we begin to "feel hungry" when we really aren't. Like I said, I don't know if this applies to you but you may want to really force yourself to feel the physiological symptoms of hunger. If you really are hungry, try eating every 2 hours or so. I eat fairly large but low calorie meals... An entire bag of lettuce (as low as 50 calories) with low calorie dressing (around 100 calories), canned soup (120-200 calories for the entire can), chicken with barbecue sauce (6oz for 210 calories), vegetables, etc. I like to eat a lot and feel full, so I find foods that I can eat a lot of but not consume a ton of calories. I am also a night eater. I like to relax at the end of the day, watch TV... And eat. So for snacks I eat beef jerky, low calorie popcorn, Special K bars, Gushers. Really you can eat anything you like in smaller portions.

It isn't going to be easy at first but just go day by day, and stick to it. No point in counting the days if you're struggling.
  • dwald1544
    dwald1544 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What really helped me was cutting out junk carbs, bread, pasta etc.... getting my carbs from whole grains fruits and veggies. Eating more protein u'd be surprised how you feel after just adding Greek yogurt to your meals. If you don't like it plain add fruit/nuts.... Good Luck
  • snowdays
    snowdays Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It helps me to eat more vegetables. The natural fiber really helps me and fresh fruit to satisfy my sweet tooth. I eat 3 meals a day and a mid-afternoon snack. Usually greek yogurt with blueberries or blackberries for breakfast, lunch-salad or veggies & small piece of lean meat, snack-cherries or small piece fruit with nut or cheese, dinner-lean meat & veggies.
    we grilled burgers on night this week and instead of a bun I used Josephs pita bread 60 cal.
    and it was great!
  • michaelcfish
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I thought the point was to use MFP then to stick to it's recommended calories in order to lose weight. It seems going past that alters the rate at which one loses weight, and would be an issue with MFP not users simply changing lose 1 pound per week to lose 0.5 pounds per week.

I am sticking to the recommended % and cals of fat, protein, and carbs, etc. that come up in the dashboard on the app.

To others saying "just stay hungry and live with it", please see my original (the very first) post.

I have cut "junk carbs" out and mostly get any carb related from whole-wheat or quinoa.

I am vegetarian and eat a lot of fruits / veg already. Steak or meat is not an option.

I have tried both Greek and Skyr (Icelandic) yogurts as proteins that supposedly curb hungry. Sorry to say, they do not help (again, please see my original post).

Fasting I believe would not help in this situation.

I am eating 3 smallish meals and 3 snacks the whole day in order to stay within 1500 cals.

• peyton80
    peyton80 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What are you doing for exercise?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I thought the point was to use MFP then to stick to it's recommended calories in order to lose weight. It seems going past that alters the rate at which one loses weight, and would be an issue with MFP not users simply changing lose 1 pound per week to lose 0.5 pounds per week.

I am sticking to the recommended % and cals of fat, protein, and carbs, etc. that come up in the dashboard on the app.

To others saying "just stay hungry and live with it", please see my original (the very first) post.

I have cut "junk carbs" out and mostly get any carb related from whole-wheat or quinoa.

I am vegetarian and eat a lot of fruits / veg already. Steak or meat is not an option.

I have tried both Greek and Skyr (Icelandic) yogurts as proteins that supposedly curb hungry. Sorry to say, they do not help (again, please see my original post).

I am eating 3 smallish meals and 3 snacks the whole day in order to stay within 1500 cals

I questioned whether you'd fasted, and if you tried different meal timing/frequency. I used to eat 6+ meals day. Before I tried fasting and eating less meals I literally thought I'd starve and die if I didn't eat every couple of hours. One day I just tried it... And found it surprisingly easy. If you haven't, give it a go. It won't kill you. (find something to keep you busy though!)

Try increasing protein - eggs are a great source. You could add protein powder to your yoghurt, that would increase the protein more. I personally find the protein recommendation low, and should be seen as a minimum, along with the fat recommendation.
  • confusionmaven
    confusionmaven Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Eat nutrient rich foods rather than empty calories (not sure if you are doing this, but this is a suggestion). Also, research essential oils. Grapefruit, lemon, and peppermint oils are all beneficial.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, what are your height and weight, how many pounds do want to lose, and what is your weight loss goal per week? Do you log your exercise?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

I am eating 3 smallish meals and 3 snacks the whole day in order to stay within 1500 cals.

1500 is a default minimum for men. If you are very short, or very inactive....then it could be enough calories for you. If you are tall, or active....that's why you are hungry. Taller, active people burn more calories.

1500 BEFORE exercise is based on "I want to lose xx pounds per week." If you choose a high weekly weight loss goal, you get a low number of calories. 2 pounds a week is 1,000 daily calories less, 1.5 pounds is 750 daily calories less, 1 pound is 500 daily calories less. The calories are taken from your NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis).

As far as "an issue with MFP"......YOU chose your weekly weight loss rate. MFP doesn't judge whether or not it's practical for you. It simply does math.

Protein, fiber and/or fat are filling. Different combinations for different people. I don't stay full on fat-free protein...but some people do. You have to find the right mix for you. 2% Greek yogurt with Fiber One sprinkles holds me over better than 0% Greek alone.

I don't subscribe to the eat 3 meals and 3 snacks, but it does work for some people. Some people do better skipping breakfast (smaller eating window). Some people do better without snacks. Meal timing is just personal preference.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options

I look at it quite differently. The default numbers given by the site are simply that, DEFAULT numbers. The system allows you to change the numbers -- a lot of the numbers if you pay to become a premium member which is pretty cheap. You can save more money than it costs on your reduced grocery purchases.

There are, among the members, folks who approach their diet and exercise in a variety of different ways bringing together a variety of different knowledge bases. Flexibility is key to the site. Therefore, it can be used by the super-obese, those who need to gain weight, those who need to follow special diets, body builders, marathon trainers, etc. It supports those who eat three meals a day, fast on alternate days, eat one meal, graze, etc. It works internationally and even accommodates both metric and American measuring.

Now that you've ascertained the default numbers are not working for you, you can do the research and experimentation for what does work for you and change the settings accordingly. I'm a fat, old, sedentary foodie. Why should what works for me be exactly the same as what works for a 25-year-old body builder? Why should my eating habits be ideal for anyone else?

What does work universally is the concept of CICO, calories-in calories-out. Over time, if the calories you consume are fewer than the calories you burn, you will lose weight. On average, folks tend to lose approximately a pound a week if they consume on average 3500 fewer calories than they burn over the long run. Beyond that, it's up to you.