Water retention

Options
I have a scale that calculates your body mass your muscle mass and the % of water, idk how accurate it is but one thing I have noticed is that as I loose weight the % of water I retain has gotten higher, I strayed at around 50% and 28 pounds later I'm allways up near 55% has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Well, we're mostly made up of water, and as your body fat drops, water is making up a larger portion of your remaining weight. You're probably not actually gaining more water when you lose (not loose) fat. Makes sense? :+1:
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    This does this by your feet, right?

I'm not sure if this is accurate but I was told that is highly in accurate because our feet can be very dry, calussed etc from walking barefoot all the time, hence I haven't bought one. Is that right? Is there another way to measure?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    http://www.mensfitness.com/training/pro-tips/top-5-ways-calculate-body-fat

...Bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) scales are perhaps the most popular method of measuring body composition because they are the least expensive and most widely available. BIA technology applies an electrical current to the body and measures how quickly that current is conducted. Lean tissue and fat mass conduct electrical signals very differently so the scale can use conductance to estimate body composition. Although BIA is one of the most popular methods of measuring body composition the accuracy can widely vary depending on an individual’s hydration status and other factors. Use BIA in conjunction with other methods of measuring body composition to ensure accuracy and track results.