Got 8st to lose and no idea where to start

Options
2»

Replies

• RunawayCurves
    RunawayCurves Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I lost 9 stone in 9 months many years ago by following a natural foods plan. Basically I ate around 1400 calories a day, 3 meals a day, all whole foods, I ate meat, eggs, dairy, veg, fruit, water and nothing else. It was super strict and i had monthly weigh ins. Some months I lost 5lb, some months I lost 20lb even though ate and did same thing whole 9 months. It averaged out as a nice neat 1 stone lost a month but in reality the weight loss was very varied from month to month let alone week to week. I try to keep that in mind, just stick with it even if scales are inconsistent.
    I gradually slipped back to old way of eating and eventually gained it all back plus lots more so it does need to be a permanent lifestyle change. I think the plan I used was too strict for me to sustain. I also lost 5 stone very quickly years ago before that on a salad diet which was also unrealistic.

I returned to being vegan last year so that limits some of my old junk food options but plenty vegan junk food to be had. Whatever plan I ever followed the one thing that helped me stick to them as long as I did was eating a lot of veg and salad with whatever else I ate. Eating lots of veg fills up a hole leaving less room for other indulgences. I think the fibre helps me feel full. I am trying to get out of the all or nothing mentality and let myself have treats along the way but is a delicate balancing act. If I could tell myself 1 thing when I started this battle so long ago , it would be do not beat yourself up. If slip up and gorge on junk , just get back to balanced eating straight away after instead of beating myself up and then comfort eating in an endless self torture cycle.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    If you're not sure where to start, my suggestion is to take a week and do exactly as you normally do, but log everything, every bite and activity. Then look at it and see where the problems are and what can most easily be changed. Are there lower calorie foods you could substitute for some of your higher ones? Are there foods you should eat but don't (I tend to forget to eat fruit and eat junk instead.)

Walking is great for health but not all that good for weight loss. Higher intensity activity is better for weight loss. Some strength training helps retain muscle during weight loss. What I did for exercise when I started was intervals on stationary bike, plus bodyweight squats, push-ups, and crunches. I was completely out of shape and started with ten slow minutes and wall push-ups. Now I can do toe push-ups, weighted squats, and high intensity intervals on the bike. I also do Zumba with YouTube videos. The main thing though is to find an activity you enjoy enough to stick with it.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    One of the things I did when I started is just logging, weighing my food eat as I was used to and log it. Learning to be honest with myself.
    Took two days before I started cutting out bits and bobs (calorie dense snacks) and reducing my portion sizes slightly. Reduction fo 10% at the time you don't notice really and can make a huge difference.
    Two weeks after that I decided to go cold turkey on any extra with lots of sugar (the cakes/bakes and birthday calorie bombs at work mainly)
    Combined that with just simply increasing walking.

Took the long road that way but also learned a lot about where and how I tripped over in the past.
    I am now working towards maintenenance and lost at least 25kg
  • chantellegreenwood93
    chantellegreenwood93 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Seems so far my best options are log everything no matter how small it may seem (it makes big impacts along the line) be realistic in my goals and do interval exercises like walking/jogging xx

What is everyone's goals if you don't mind me asking
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    I started at 247, current weight 192, goal weight 165. 5'8". My initial goal was to be out of the obese category of BMI, which for me is 197, but when I got there I set a new goal of healthy weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Seems so far my best options are log everything no matter how small it may seem (it makes big impacts along the line) be realistic in my goals and do interval exercises like walking/jogging xx

Sounds good to me!

Mine are to lose the last 5lbs and PB my next half marathon in september
  • chantellegreenwood93
    Options
    I started at 247, current weight 192, goal weight 165. 5'8". My initial goal was to be out of the obese category of BMI, which for me is 197, but when I got there I set a new goal of healthy weight.

Well done for getting out of the obese category which was your initial target and your well on your way to your second goal your doing extremely well ❤️
  • rheddmobile
    Options

Well done for getting out of the obese category which was your initial target and your well on your way to your second goal your doing extremely well ❤️
    Thank you!
  • chantellegreenwood93
    Options

Sounds good to me!

I'm sure you'll manage that last five with patience and keeping up all the hard work you have put in what was your PB last time may I ask?
  • chantellegreenwood93
    Options

Thank you!

Your most welcome feel free to message me if you ever want some one to talk to or just post here and I'll reply
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My goals shifted over time (3.5 years now) and are not all scale related and
    1. fitting back into my clothes so they look as they were intended
    2. seeing if I could fit back into my favourite sort that did not fit anymore and after goal 1 was somewhat very snug (has a small waist)
    3. logging for 2 years
    4. achieving a healthy BMI
    5. getting comfortable into a healthy BMI, going gym to increase weights training
    6. Logging 3 years
    7. (current) hitting 22.5 in my BMI and running 5km
    8. logging 4 years

I achieved half of my seventh goal, not achieved the running yet. Planned for one of the coming weeks before I go on a holiday :wink:
  • chantellegreenwood93
    Options
    My goals shifted over time (3.5 years now) and are not all scale related and
    1. fitting back into my clothes so they look as they were intended
    2. seeing if I could fit back into my favourite sort that did not fit anymore and after goal 1 was somewhat very snug (has a small waist)
    3. logging for 2 years
    4. achieving a healthy BMI
    5. getting comfortable into a healthy BMI, going gym to increase weights training
    6. Logging 3 years
    7. (current) hitting 22.5 in my BMI and running 5km
    8. logging 4 years

I achieved half of my seventh goal, not achieved the running yet. Planned for one of the coming weeks before I go on a holiday :wink:

Sounds like awesome goals I may have to set myself some staged goals xx
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Sounds good to me!

I'm sure you'll manage that last five with patience and keeping up all the hard work you have put in what was your PB last time may I ask?

Youre right about patience... i need more of it!

My last half was in May, i ran it in 02:17:35 which was a PB by 6 minutes.
  • chantellegreenwood93
    Options

Sounds good to me!

Youre right about patience... i need more of it!

My last half was in May, i ran it in 02:17:35 which was a PB by 6 minutes.

That's awesome well done on that time and take up sewing or knitting that requires a patience of a saint lol xzx

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    I was pushing pretty close to 19 stone when I started out in December, I am just under 16 stone now, I am aiming to get to around 13 stone by the end of this year. Weight loss isn't easy but it is simple, I have lost mine by setting myself to a 1lb per week loss, logging my food accurately, increasing my activity levels and monitoring my results to make sure I am on the right track. With 3 years until your wedding you have absolutely enough time to get yourself into shape.
  • chantellegreenwood93
    Options
    How's everyone's day been with mfp?