Rowing machine butt hurt

Options
JeromeBarry1
JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
I have a Lifestyler Cardiofit machine. The last time I used it, the motion of my butt sliding back and forth on the vinyl seat literally ripped a new hole for me. I don't want that to happen again. Have you any helpful ideas how I can use the machine for cardio exercise and prevent the traumatic injury?

Replies

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    1. Very soft, synthetic, fitted shorts.
    2. No underwear. It just wrinkles up. :-/
    3. I cut the end off my yoga mat, folded it to 4 layers, and use it as a cushion.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll give it a try.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Glad to help. It took me a while to figure out what worked for me.

Also, some people use anti-chafing stick, like for running, which helped me a little, but not enough to prevent it from happening again. It was great for protecting existing sore spots though.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I don't have advice that hasn't already been given but I'm sorry that happened :/
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    You can use padded bike shorts too.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    When rowing I generally just wear a pair of UA compression shorts. I also place a hand towel on the seat; not for comfort, mainly to absorb any moisture/sweat.

I find long (30 min) rowing sessions on my Concept 2 uncomfortable because of my relatively fat-free bony behind, but I've never had a problem "sliding back and forth" on the seat.

I've tried various specialized rowing seat pads, padded bike shorts as well as small pillows to try to make the seat more comfortable w/o success.

So, I just limit my rowing sessions to 15 mins max. It's still uncomfortable but not painfully so when rowing for 30mins or longer in a single session.