Shoe sense

Options
I am a new runner and I usually wear the cheapest thing I can find at Payless that looks like a running shoe and for a while that worked. However now that I am running more frequently than once a year and faster than a half dead saunter I'm realizing shoes actually make a difference. My feet ankles and shins are killing me. Time for real shoes. However having never even been inside a running store I'm at a loss. What do I look for in running shoes? How will I know if it's the right one? Any suggestions of brands or stores that won't try to rip me off? Any mistakes that I should avoid? Basically any of you runners out there want to teach me about shoes and shoe shopping I am all ears. :)

Replies

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    There are lots of variables. Go to a local running store, and let them help you. You'll pay a bit more than just buying whatever, but your legs will thank you.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    You need to go to a running store, but you need to get a gait analysis done to find the perfect shoe. Some stores will do the analysis for you and even some stores will let you try the shoes for a while and exchange them if they are not working for you. With so many different brands is hard to tell which one will be the more adequate for you. Gait analysis is important and not all running stores do that.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    Options
    ABabilonia wrote: »
    You need to go to a running store, but you need to get a gait analysis done to find the perfect shoe. Some stores will do the analysis for you and even some stores will let you try the shoes for a while and exchange them if they are not working for you. With so many different brands is hard to tell which one will be the more adequate for you. Gait analysis is important and not all running stores do that.

This ^

also, find great moisture wicking socks / thin ones

brands I like for running (personal preference only):
    Asics, Saucony, Mizuno, Brooks

brands I don't:
    Nike, Reebok, Pearl Izumi, Puma

I've run a couple of full marathons and more 1/2 marathons than I can remember.
    A lot of my training partners ended up wearing a Brooks stability shoe; I typically end up wearing Saucony.... but everyone is different
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    After a few different fittings over the years, I've found that I like Mizuno. It does take a bit of trial and error to find what works for you. I also like my nike frees, but not for long runs. When I was heavier, Mizuno wave creation was a good shoe for me. Then, I lost weight and was having knee pain. I did some research and decided to try the Mizuno wave inspire, a mild stability shoe. I'm on my third pair, no more knee pain from running. I've also tried the Mizuno wave catalyst, a lighter less cushioned version of inspire, but it's not my favorite.
  • victory68
    victory68 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! There is a running store in my city but they don't do a gait analysis looks like I'm headed to the next town over :)
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    victory68 wrote: »
    Thank you guys! There is a running store in my city but they don't do a gait analysis looks like I'm headed to the next town over :)

That's a little surprising to me. One of the biggest benefits to shopping local is the expertise. Not offering this basic service puts them at a disadvantage (vs online and big retailer stores).

Ignore any brand name advice you get here or anywhere other than the store (both pro and con). Every big shoe/sock manufacturer makes good and bad goods. The trick is finding what is right for you. That's where a local store is worth the extra money.

Good luck.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    victory68 wrote: »

Fwiw I'd go and talk locally anyway, one of the issues here is building a relationship with them. Gait analysis is not the Panacea that is cracked up to be, as a lot depends on your form and how you already compensate for your physiological features.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Be sure to bring your old shoes with you. They can tell a lot from the wear pattern on the bottom.

And ask if you can take a jog up and down the block in the ones you're trying on.

Happy hunting! :)
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Let the running store fit the shoe for you. A proper pair of new running shoes made a world of difference for me - no more post-run shin pain.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Look for a sales rep.