Self Sabotage

Options
2»

Replies

• AfricaLatina
    AfricaLatina Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I used to do this to myself all the time....My trigger is getting to 13 stone/ 182 Lbs - I never seem to be able to get past this weight without sabotaging myself!! I'm creeping closer to this point so I'm slightly worried...
    I remember thinking that losing weight was so tough (I wasn't logging or exercising consistently) that I would resign myself to always being that size and just give up. :sad:
    This time I'm focusing just as much on being healthy as I am on losing the weight. I hope that I have made enough of a lifestyle change to not want to 'eat' all my exercise calories as I understand that losing weight is SO tough as is getting off my butt to exercise, that I do not want to have to do it all again! :noway:
    My rewards are clothes/shoes/jewellerey as like someone else already said I still eat the foods I like, I just have a smaller portion and keep it within my calorie goal..

good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • sumgrl
    sumgrl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem, except I haven't lost anything. I think I may be a food addict, I get tired, I get stressed and I feel like I "need" a bag of chips or some candy .. I have gradually gained more and more weight since last year when I decided I was gonna try a little harder. Its is very discouraging to me and I cant seem to reign myself in and say no .. it is a cycle I cant seem to break
  • sumgrl
    sumgrl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem , I think I may need to talk to a therapist as well because it is really getting to be too much
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I have a bit of a problem. I apologize in advance if this topic has already been posted or discussed. I just couldn't seem to find it.

So I'm kind of trapped In a vicious cycle. When I start of losing weight I do really good. I eat right, exercise, drink water and all that good stuff. My problem hits on I step on that scale. When I weigh myself and it's a loss for the week I slack. I begin to rationalize, "oh, I lost 2 pounds, I can afford to eat this pizza." Right now I'm doing this 30 day Tae Bo Challenge, and part of that challenge is not weighing myself for the entire 30 days. But on day 4 I was becoming so discouraged because I was tired. I decided to weigh myself anyway to see if there was any positive change. There was. I lost weight. But ever since I weighed myself that day I've been exercising like I'm supposed to, but I've been eating chips, pizza, just junk in general.

I'm trying to figure out what the psychology behind this could be. You'd think if I had a loss then I'd want to keep doing what I was doing to lose more, but that's not the case. I lose weight, then eat more all over again. I weighed myself and I went from 207 to 212 in a day. I didn't record it because I know it's because of bloat and not giving my body a chance to digest, but it's still hard to see that.

I guess my question is what psychologically could be going on that prevents me from continuing good habits, and what advice does anyone have to offer.
    It's like the money in the bank mentality. You don't spend what you don't have. Same with calories. You worked out, so you have calories saved up and spend them.
    So quit spending and start saving.
    It's funny that I am pretty frugal with money and that I'm the same with my calories. I save up for a rainy day (movie day).

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition