Will I ever get a flat stomach?

Options
2»

Replies

• ohhidear
    ohhidear Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch omg you look amazing!! Congratulations on all your hard work! It's really paid off!!! Thank you for providing me with much needed inspiration!
  • ohhidear
    ohhidear Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    AFGP11 wrote: »
    Dieting will make you smaller, but it will be proportionally smaller unless you also work out and build up some muscle. Otherwise you will have the same percentage of fat on your body, just less of it because there is less of you. Without going to the gym, you will lose a lot of muscle along with the fat. If you want to change your body composition and have less fat and more muscle, you need to hit the gym. Dieting can only do so much despite the fact that people here insist you don't need exercise.

Dieting make you thin and look good in clothes. Working out along with a good diet makes you look good naked.

I workout 4-5 times a week depending on my work schedule! I've recently switched from doing a lot of steady state cardio (running) to more hiit style sprints and upped the amount of strength training I usually do. I'm hoping it'll get my upper stomach to finally smooth out a bit.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch

Thank you! I finally know what type of belly I have! Mine is exactly the same, but I was always thin before, so it wasn't noticeable. But when I gained... a majority went there. Even when I have visible muscle, the "B" is still there all gathered in the front of the ribs *as you said*. Now I know it's just another shape-type like breasts!

Major frustration at my B belly. This was 7 lbs ago... it's slightly better now, but I haven't taken a recent belly pic.

wbr74wh2g0sk.jpeg

Total B belly at 149lbs. Now at 142lb it's a slightly smaller B. But oh-so-frustrating. I'll take a pic tomorrow and post (hopefully it's better?) so other B bellies don't feel badly.

Thanks again! Really helpful.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Dear me @WendyLeigh1119 we are really bonding aren't we. B)
    Does your waist happen at your belly button too?
    Got to admit, except for family, it isn't a shape I see often. I spent ages when I was younger wondering what people did to get that flat space under their bra band. That is where I start going out, and yes, at my fattest that is the biggest place.

My belly is as it was in those pics. I decided that I can't be dedicated enough (lifting) to try to get it any less.

Cheers, h.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @middlehaitch

Yup. My "natural waist" is that barely notable crevice in the photo just under my ribcage. I had it mostly flat for 33 years, but now ever since I gained once... it has turned into a stubborn abomination that is determined to stick around. I had to stay super thin to keep it flat before, though. I may settle for a gently-sloping, lower case b now.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch

Thank you! I finally know what type of belly I have! Mine is exactly the same, but I was always thin before, so it wasn't noticeable. But when I gained... a majority went there. Even when I have visible muscle, the "B" is still there all gathered in the front of the ribs *as you said*. Now I know it's just another shape-type like breasts!

Major frustration at my B belly. This was 7 lbs ago... it's slightly better now, but I haven't taken a recent belly pic.

wbr74wh2g0sk.jpeg

Total B belly at 149lbs. Now at 142lb it's a slightly smaller B. But oh-so-frustrating. I'll take a pic tomorrow and post (hopefully it's better?) so other B bellies don't feel badly.

Thanks again! Really helpful.

Wendy i wouldn't care what letter of the alphabet your belly resembles. I think you look awesome!

• dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch @WendyLeigh1119 I just wanted to say you gals look really good.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »
    It's very much down to genetics I think. Of course everyone could theoretically go down to a very low bodyfat percentage, but it's not healthy in the long run, with associated issues such as loss of menstruation, etc. What I wanted to say though is that you have a fantastic body, and especially great legs! They look really good! Might not be a condolence, but I have a flat stomach at a fairly high fat percentage, but my whole legs and upper arms is where I carry my padding. It's not great either as I have to wear fairly big pants that are far too wide around my waiste, and make it fairly invisible anyway. And skirts look ridiculous on me. I would swap with you any day!

It seems to be the way of things doesn't it? Those ladies with great legs and not an ounce of fat on them generally have the stomach/torso issues while those with flat stomachs struggle with the legs.

As they say on Reddit, can confirm. I carry everything round my waist. While I get a slight double chin and some bazonga inflation at higher weights, I carry no extra weight on my limbs at all.

It's nice to have pretty legs, but the research is clear that my fat layout is more dangerous, so it doesn't give me much satisfaction. Also, I look like a lollipop.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ohhidear wrote: »
    AFGP11 wrote: »
    Dieting will make you smaller, but it will be proportionally smaller unless you also work out and build up some muscle. Otherwise you will have the same percentage of fat on your body, just less of it because there is less of you. Without going to the gym, you will lose a lot of muscle along with the fat. If you want to change your body composition and have less fat and more muscle, you need to hit the gym. Dieting can only do so much despite the fact that people here insist you don't need exercise.

Dieting make you thin and look good in clothes. Working out along with a good diet makes you look good naked.

I workout 4-5 times a week depending on my work schedule! I've recently switched from doing a lot of steady state cardio (running) to more hiit style sprints and upped the amount of strength training I usually do. I'm hoping it'll get my upper stomach to finally smooth out a bit.

I would suggest finding a structured lifting program like strong lifts or strong curves and following it...
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    You can change your physique, sure. You look great and have done amazing work. If you want to put in some more hard work, you can reduce your body fat percentage a bit and your stomach may even out. That will be done with resistance training and a slight deficit.