Weight gain 'catching up'

Options
I had quite a bad well very bad eating week this week, a few takeaways and just generally a lot over my usual 1200 calories a day.
I knew I was going to go up a bit but according to the scales on Friday I was at 246 and this morning I have gone up ‘2lbs’ in 2 days.

I keep telling myself as I know already it’ll be some water weight as I honestly don’t think in the past 2 days I have eaten an extra 7000 over my maintenance (if I’ve got that wrong please let me know!)

I have had a few people who diet also tell me today that my bad eating has ‘caught up’ on me and that’s why I have gone up a few lbs.. so basically cos I ate bad Mon/Tues/Wed that the 2lbs has just decided to go on today.. is this even possible or is it just people who don’t really know?

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Weight gain within a couple of days is going to be due to water retention or because you have more food in your gut than normal. Of course having a lot of food in your gut means you have a lot that can be converted to fat, so part of that weight gain is permanent.
  • Zaidkhalid11
    Zaidkhalid11 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You have to be consistent for weight loss... it is ok ... sometimes we over eat but exercise a little ... I can recommend you exercises if you want ... !! Weight will come down!!
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Water weight coming from high sodium can "catch up" with you. When I have a very high sodium meal, the weight is often reflected not the next day, but the day after. I'm not sure why that is, but I've read of it happening to a lot of different people. Don't sweat it too much, just get back to eating your calorie goal and it'll start coming back off.
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Yeah I am fine with the gain that isn't a mega issue to me as I know its not a lot in the grand scheme of things and I am 42lbs from what I started at. Bad weeks happen I know that.
    The scales yeah it was bad to go on them at all but my will power for that is pretty crappy sometimes. I know the whole water weight thing and I know some may be fat is fine.

It's just I didn't know weight could just catch up on you but its maybe just the way it was said. I never got away with it so I am just back on 100% logging today.

Just thought I would ask :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Just trust the numbers and look far longer term than day to day.
    As you said yourself you know you haven't eaten 7000 cals over maintenance.

Have a laugh at my recent weight changes.....
    Gained 10lbs in 10 days (vacation). Lost 5lbs in 24hrs when I got back home. We both know that's impossible to be all fat going on and coming off again don't we?

PS - might be worth learning who your supportive friends are. Attaching moral judgements like "bad eating" "catching up with you" isn't helpful. No crime was committed, no punishment deserved.
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Thanks all :) I have just went back to 100% back on track now so I know I will get whatever went on off again and more