I drink my calories (and then i also eat them)

Options
efoleo
efoleo Posts: 143 Member
Hi all. I basically dont drink water. Im addicted to sweet drinks especially coffee and coke....i think my life wld be near perfect if i cld start living without them (my weight just keeps going up...currently at 219). However, i cant c myself being able to go cold turkey (or can we?). My personal idea is maybe to allow coffee in the morning and drop all drinks during the rest of the day (to be replaced preferably by water or else mayb fruit to begin with). I wish i cld create a group of ppl who have reduction/elimination of sweet drinks as a primary goal. It would feel soo good to not be addicted or thinking of drinking stuff all the time. Let me know if anyone is interested in teaming up or being friends? We cld mayb post pix of drinks we r passing up or somethin.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Why not try diet versions, or coffee without so much added (like a lesser amount of lower fat milk, or sweetener instead of sugar etc)
  • efoleo
    Options
    Why not try diet versions, or coffee without so much added (like a lesser amount of lower fat milk, or sweetener instead of sugar etc)

In my teen years, i did all the diet stuff...like diet sodas and i wld end up drinking a 12 pack in a day(which also did not necessarily reduce my food intake). Nowadays tho, the taste of diet stuff or sweeteners is so repulsive to me....plus am one of those ppl that believe that they only increase my apetite.....but, thnx a lot for responding! Ideally, i would just like to overdrink on water....so im looking for ppl who really struggle with this to help me make the switch. Like i think if i were able to work out in the mornings, i wldnt reach for drinks...but working out in the morning doesnt work for me. Ok, now im just talking randomly. Thanks again! A friend of mine suggested flavored water too....doesnt sound great, but more willing to try that ( if others wld too)....somethin more natural...u know like adding an orange slice....
  • efoleo
    Options

The main reason y i drink the coffee, is the sugar and milk.....i wldnt reach for coffee without enuf of both.....i mean i dont need coffee to be as sweet as say the mcdonalds one....but it has to be pretty sweet
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Quit telling yourself you're addicted to sweet drinks. Likely just a bad habit. Saying it's an addiction is an unhelpful exaggeration.

Caffeine though is different. Go cold turkey from caffeine and look out for the headaches.

There are about 16 calories in a teaspoon of sugar. How much coffee and soda are you drinking? Does the soda have caffeine? Like I said, it's a separate problem.
  • efoleo
    Options
    Ive seen discussions on the use of the word addiction on other forums. Fine. Its a terrible habit. What i mean is that i crave sugar drinks all the time. I have at least 6 a day and its mainly because of the sugar (and milk4coffee). I think about drinks all the time and dont enjoy meals without having drinks before and after. When i work or study or socialize, i need a drink in my hand. My snack of choice is a drink. Because all my drinks have sugar, the idea of water is repulsive. The thought of going a day without a drink is horrifying (as is the idea of replacing them with water). Yes, i know sugar has only 16cals or whatever, but like i said, for me i overdrink and then still overeat and i strongly believe that if i cut the sugar drinks, my eating will be affected positively. Also, it wld be nice to just be free from the pull, constant desire, etc. Lastly, i dont get headaches...never have. If i switched to water, i know i will have some discomfort, but primarily due to lack of sugar. Is there anyone else who can relate (even if ur drink is juice or wine...).....need some mutual support!
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    You need to do this for yourself and not rely on anyone else. Stop waiting for "others to do it too" and just buckle down and do it. It won't be easy or comfortable for you at first, but you need to change your habits if you want to be successful.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My wife substitutes sweet tea for Coca-Cola. It does her no good because she still adds all the sugar. You, on the other hand, could gradually reduce the added sugar in your tea until you're having it plain. Alternatively, you could use any of the water flavoring products such as Mio or Crystal Light. As far as your coffee, if you add vast quantities of sugar and milk, perhaps you could transition to using the little individual packets of Coffee-Mate creamers? Perhaps even try transitioning to black coffee. It's ok black. It's not sugar, but I don't expect sugar in my coffee. I brew my pot of coffee with a cinnamon stick in it. It's a little different.
  • efoleo
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »
    You need to do this for yourself and not rely on anyone else. Stop waiting for "others to do it too" and just buckle down and do it. It won't be easy or comfortable for you at first, but you need to change your habits if you want to be successful.

I get that. Just thot it wld b easier fighting along side others with similar goals. I thot the thread title might attract ppl with similar goals!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    You don't mention any medical issues. I know diabetes can increase thirst, so it could be a medical issue too.

I used to drink nothing but soda and lemonade with sweet tea and fruit juice. I also had lots of sugar, chocolate syrup and milk in my coffee. I quit soda, lemonade and sweet tea and fruit juice. The calories were not worth it to me when I was losing. I drank straight soda water with lime or lemon slices for a while, but I'm now just water and coffee and occasionally a green tea or hot tea in the winter without sugar.

It's a process. You have to use some of your big-girl discipline if you want to lose weight. There's no way around it. Saying, "No." to myself was a novel concept, so I get it. :lol:
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I am one that has a tendency to drink my calories, so I have to be careful. I use to NEVER drink water. I just like things flavored or carbonated in general. I started out by taking apple juice (or even better, purple grape juice) and mixing it 1/2 water to 1/2 juice. I drank it like that for a week or so. Then I cut the juice back to 1/4. I always filled my glass with water first so I wasn't tempted to add more juice then I needed to. By the end of a few weeks I was drinking water only. Today, I walk around with a 24oz water bottle of ice water in my hands almost non-stop. I don't go anywhere (not even church) without water. I would suggest trying something like that. It slowly weans your mind of the flavor you think you must have and slowly gets you use to water. I still have to be careful not to drink too many calories today, but because I like water now it's much easier to avoid.

As for the caffeine, you can buy Crystal Light Pure Energy that has caffeine in it and is only like 20 calories a serving. You add it to water. So you can flavor your water almost calorie free and get the caffeine while you wean off of the flavored stuff. Or you can use it as your caffeine drink of choice instead of coffee. I still allow myself 2-3 cups up coffee in the morning but I use xylitol instead of sugar (b/c it tastes just like sugar and is a 1:1 sub), powdered creamer instead of milk, and most days, a couple of tbls of tru whip (a healthier version of cool whip w/less calories and less junk in it). Doing so adds 100 calories or less to my day and I still get my coffee.

Hopefully, there's some options that will help you.
  • xandra47
    xandra47 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've been there man! I can't even tell you how many years I drank nothing but mt dew, coffee (LOADED with sugar and cream), and red bull. Cold turkey was the only way I could kick the mt. Dew (I can't stand diet soda) I focused on drinking water which I've never been a fan of. I started slowly bringing my sugar down in my coffee. It took alot off consistency and discipline but I'm finally down to black coffee, and really enjoying it! After many years I can finally say I drink enough water everyday as well. It was tough but if this sugar junkie can do it, I think anyone can! Now that I've kicked it, my sense of taste has changed a ton, I don't crave sugar sweet anymore, I prefer fruit sugar, and I'm really starting to enjoy spicy foods :)
  • efoleo
    Options
    My wife substitutes sweet tea for Coca-Cola. It does her no good because she still adds all the sugar. You, on the other hand, could gradually reduce the added sugar in your tea until you're having it plain. Alternatively, you could use any of the water flavoring products such as Mio or Crystal Light. As far as your coffee, if you add vast quantities of sugar and milk, perhaps you could transition to using the little individual packets of Coffee-Mate creamers? Perhaps even try transitioning to black coffee. It's ok black. It's not sugar, but I don't expect sugar in my coffee. I brew my pot of coffee with a cinnamon stick in it. It's a little different.

Thanks for the response! I dont think im really into coffee, its more the combination with milk and sugar.....its much easier to picture myself in the future drinking water than black coffee (but u never know i guess ). I could try to reduce the quantity tho. My mugs r huge and i cant drink one cup without making another):
  • efoleo
    Options
    You don't mention any medical issues. I know diabetes can increase thirst, so it could be a medical issue too.

I used to drink nothing but soda and lemonade with sweet tea and fruit juice. I also had lots of sugar, chocolate syrup and milk in my coffee. I quit soda, lemonade and sweet tea and fruit juice. The calories were not worth it to me when I was losing. I drank straight soda water with lime or lemon slices for a while, but I'm now just water and coffee and occasionally a green tea or hot tea in the winter without sugar.

It's a process. You have to use some of your big-girl discipline if you want to lose weight. There's no way around it. Saying, "No." to myself was a novel concept, so I get it. :lol:

Big-girl discipline:):) love it.
    I wish i had 'met' you wen u started ur journey. To be honest, i prefer elimimating cold turkey cuz i think the sugar is so harmful to me (primarily the drinks). Yes i like other sweet stuff but dont consume them regularly. Wld u advise elimination? The last time i tried was last summer...it lasted two weeks and the control i felt was awesome and pounds were coming off albeit slowly (at least not like now...the ever upward trend). How long did it take u to cut the drinks out and create those better habits?
  • efoleo
    Options
    xandra47 wrote: »
    I've been there man! I can't even tell you how many years I drank nothing but mt dew, coffee (LOADED with sugar and cream), and red bull. Cold turkey was the only way I could kick the mt. Dew (I can't stand diet soda) I focused on drinking water which I've never been a fan of. I started slowly bringing my sugar down in my coffee. It took alot off consistency and discipline but I'm finally down to black coffee, and really enjoying it! After many years I can finally say I drink enough water everyday as well. It was tough but if this sugar junkie can do it, I think anyone can! Now that I've kicked it, my sense of taste has changed a ton, I don't crave sugar sweet anymore, I prefer fruit sugar, and I'm really starting to enjoy spicy foods :)

Ok, so elimination does work. Wanna elimimate coke. Am gonna try. Just wanted some accountability. Thnx for sharing!
  • efoleo
    Options
    I am one that has a tendency to drink my calories, so I have to be careful. I use to NEVER drink water. I just like things flavored or carbonated in general. I started out by taking apple juice (or even better, purple grape juice) and mixing it 1/2 water to 1/2 juice. I drank it like that for a week or so. Then I cut the juice back to 1/4. I always filled my glass with water first so I wasn't tempted to add more juice then I needed to. By the end of a few weeks I was drinking water only. Today, I walk around with a 24oz water bottle of ice water in my hands almost non-stop. I don't go anywhere (not even church) without water. I would suggest trying something like that. It slowly weans your mind of the flavor you think you must have and slowly gets you use to water. I still have to be careful not to drink too many calories today, but because I like water now it's much easier to avoid.

As for the caffeine, you can buy Crystal Light Pure Energy that has caffeine in it and is only like 20 calories a serving. You add it to water. So you can flavor your water almost calorie free and get the caffeine while you wean off of the flavored stuff. Or you can use it as your caffeine drink of choice instead of coffee. I still allow myself 2-3 cups up coffee in the morning but I use xylitol instead of sugar (b/c it tastes just like sugar and is a 1:1 sub), powdered creamer instead of milk, and most days, a couple of tbls of tru whip (a healthier version of cool whip w/less calories and less junk in it). Doing so adds 100 calories or less to my day and I still get my coffee.

Hopefully, there's some options that will help you.

Thnx for sharing! I like ur first example. I know some ppl dilute coke too....eww. i dont really need caffeine for caffeine sake tho as per ur second example. Anyway, i guess ur success can b mine if i try and dont give up!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey worked for me. The cravings last about two weeks and after that it doesn't even taste good.

Try herbal teas with no sweetener and coffee with almond milk and cinnamon for tasty sugar-free drinks. 85% cacao dark chocolate also scratches some of the same itches for me - Coke is a surprisingly complex flavor.
  • efoleo
    Options
    Cold turkey worked for me. The cravings last about two weeks and after that it doesn't even taste good.

Try herbal teas with no sweetener and coffee with almond milk and cinnamon for tasty sugar-free drinks. 85% cacao dark chocolate also scratches some of the same itches for me - Coke is a surprisingly complex flavor.

Hmmmm....thnx. yea, i like the coffee cuz its a hot drink so i shld probably try tea ....also almond milk doesnt sound too bad. Oddly enuff, the dark chocolate also sounds tryable:)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    efoleo wrote: »

Big-girl discipline:):) love it.
    I wish i had 'met' you wen u started ur journey. To be honest, i prefer elimimating cold turkey cuz i think the sugar is so harmful to me (primarily the drinks). Yes i like other sweet stuff but dont consume them regularly. Wld u advise elimination? The last time i tried was last summer...it lasted two weeks and the control i felt was awesome and pounds were coming off albeit slowly (at least not like now...the ever upward trend). How long did it take u to cut the drinks out and create those better habits?

I don't know how long it took. I went kicking and screaming, I'll tell you that. I was a pretty serious sugar-aholic.

It really is a process. To get to my goal weight, I had to change a lot of things. I probably haven't had a soda in seven, eight years? It's one of the things I just don't miss any more. There are decisions that have to be made, and anything which makes me feel out of control is best examined closely. There are no benefits whatsoever to soda. None. I also quit drinking alcohol. Everything else I've kept as part of my life. I had ice cream yesterday. I still have cookies and donuts and potato chips and pie. Just not every day. :smile:
  • xmusicloverr
    xmusicloverr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    May I recommend Clear American drinks? I can usually taste artificial sweeteners but this tastes just like sugar and has zero calories. Tastes better than a lot of my favorite sodas and they're priced at 68 cents a bottle at walmart
    38e991a6765dbf536d46eb64da40e964.jpg
  • efoleo
    Options
    May I recommend Clear American drinks? I can usually taste artificial sweeteners but this tastes just like sugar and has zero calories. Tastes better than a lot of my favorite sodas and they're priced at 68 cents a bottle at walmart
    38e991a6765dbf536d46eb64da40e964.jpg

I guess it wldnt hurt to try. They dont have those drinks where i live but i will b in america in a couple weeks for a couple weeks:)