Women wearing men's running shoes?

Options
amusedmonkey
amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
edited July 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I have wide feet and finding shoes that fit can be a pain. Even brands I know have a wide option don't always have that in stock. I thought maybe men's running shoes run a bit wider in normal sizes? Do they? Are there differences other than the colors? I tried Altras because they have a wide toe box in normal sizes but did not do well in them. The low (or non-existent) heel to toe drop aggravated my achilles, so I'm looking for a more traditional drop.

Replies

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I went to a local running store and the staff member who helped me had me try on 5 different pairs of shoes. We went outside for each pair and he watched my gait as I jogged on the sidewalk. The store carried narrow, average and wide width running shoes for women, so I was able to get into a pair that is very comfortable and supportive. Maybe you can find a store like that in your area.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    I went to a local running store and the staff member who helped me had me try on 5 different pairs of shoes. We went outside for each pair and he watched my gait as I jogged on the sidewalk. The store carried narrow, average and wide width running shoes for women, so I was able to get into a pair that is very comfortable and supportive. Maybe you can find a store like that in your area.

No stores like that in the whole country. Running is just not "a thing" here.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Wear the shoe that fits your foot regardless of how it's labelled.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I thought maybe men's running shoes run a bit wider in normal sizes? Do they?

i wish i knew, but the thing is i can't remember if i even try on women's shoes anymore. i thiiiiiiink so?
  • Namaste_Mama
    Namaste_Mama Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wide feet here. I have been wearing Nike mens lunar low fly knit for 2 months. Great fit. Before I was fitted for a Brooks Adrenaline at a running store, also mens. Good fit too. These were wider than the Nike's.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Okay, so I've decided to try a pair of the same shoes I have but in men's. What is the equivalent of 9 US size?
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Yes.. I've worn Men's sneakers for years, thanks to having not just wide feet but long too. General rule of thumb is US weomen's shoes run about 1.5 sizes larger then men's. I wear a size 10 in women's and a size 8.5 in men's.

And yes.. the extra width in men's shoes is a blessing!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    No reason not to try them.

Just think about arch height as well as with, as women's shoes frequently have a higher arch.
  • only6icecubes
    only6icecubes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Men's shoes are a D width and Women's are B width. You will need a size to 1.5 size smaller in length.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Men's shoes are a D width and Women's are B width. You will need a size to 1.5 size smaller in length.

That's great news. I can most often get away with a D except for designs that run narrow, so I may be able to get away with normal sizes without looking for wide specifically.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I always get men's running shoes. I wear a 10.5/11 women's, 9 men's.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'm a women's 10, men's 8. The only time it's mattered has been in bowling shoes and ski boots. (The bowling alley considered their shoes unisex, but it was men's sizing. Ditto for the ski boots supplied when I signed up for lessons offered through my university's faculty of athletics.)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I can't wear men's shoes because they are wider in the heel than women's shoes. I end up with too much slippage. I wear wide neutral shoes and have done well with Asics cumulus and nimbus and 1000, and Sauconny echelons. I wore the Sauconny Triumph for a while, until they changed them in a way that didn't work for me. I think the newest version got rid of the problem, but haven't tried them. For a more supportive shoe, Brooks Adrenaline worked well until I switched to neutral ones. (I like cushioned shoes.)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Im different I wear a mens 7 but a womans 8-8 1/2. but some mens shoes(like some nikes) i can wear an 8-8 1/2.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I've worn men's running shoes for years because of my wide feet. Sometimes the heel is too large as a pp noted, but if you use the "heel lock" on the laces at the top of the shoe, it will hold you in place like a charm!
    I have the advantage of an awesome running store, and it turns out that the Brooks Dyad 8 women's runner is actually wider in the toe box than the men's. So I'm in that now.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I have the 2017 womens Asics nimbus in wide and it's perfect. I wear a size 9 in my regular shoe, but size up to a 10 in these after reading reviews. All of the width and no heel slippage. I did like the mens version and would have had no problem buying that either.

Some s wide athletic shoes are hard to find. :/
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    My daughter wears men's running shoes & soccer cleats......wear what is more comfortable (typically 1.5 to 2 sizes smaller....she wears a women's 10 or men's 8 or 8.5 depending on the brand)