Help me tweak my protein bar recipe so it's not so sticky

Options
abbynormalartist
abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
Below is my current favorite no-bake protein bar recipe. The taste is amazing but because of the honey, it doesn't really "set up". Even after putting these in the freezer, they're still soft and sticky. Any suggestions on how to tweak these so they are a little firmer and drier but still maintain their sweet chocolaty goodness?

2 cups oats flour (oats ground up in the blender)
4 scoops ON chocolate protein powder
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup almond milk
3 tbs cocoa powder

This is originally a Michael Kory recipe that I adjusted to be sweeter and have a darker chocolate taste. Original recipe at the link below:
http://michaelkoryfitness.blogspot.com/2012/12/easiest-homemade-protein-bars-ever.html

Replies

• kms234
    kms234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My first instinct is to halve the honey or the almond milk (or both) or you could add extra oats or protein powder.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    swap out some of the honey for a dry granulated sweetener. By making them less sticky you will sacrifice some of the texture/chew that the honey provides though.
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Would baking it a bit do anything? ...anything good?
  • GMands
    GMands Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think the ratio of wet to dry is too large. I would replace the almond milk with milk powder, or even almond butter
  • blissbeaddesigns
    blissbeaddesigns Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Reduce the honey. Replace the rest with pureed dated (outer skin removed).
  • jaycam1989
    jaycam1989 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Too much almond milk. We make and sell protein bars and your recipe looks good except for the Almond milk. Need much less. I would also add more protein powder.