Tracy Anderson Method

Options
Has anyone done the Tracy Anderson Method strength & cardio while doing their own diet? Her diet is too restrictive for me and wondering if anyone has had results with this.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,616 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few of her workouts, but that's it.
  • 76Crane76
    76Crane76 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    That's about all I've done. I seem to like some of them and others I don't care for. I have not grouped her strength & cardio together yet.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Not sure I'd ever do a workout program by someone who says women should never lift more than 5 lbs or they'll get bulky

Yes, but so many trainers flogging workout programs say that.

It's the number one thing that comes up in conversation with friends and family. SO AGGRAVATING.

It helps when I point out that small children generally weigh more than 5 lbs. and the eyes go wide and the awareness goes up.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Not sure I'd ever do a workout program by someone who says women should never lift more than 5 lbs or they'll get bulky

Yes, but so many trainers flogging workout programs say that.

It's the number one thing that comes up in conversation with friends and family. SO AGGRAVATING.

It helps when I point out that small children generally weigh more than 5 lbs. and the eyes go wide and the awareness goes up.

Never mind a gallon of milk is 8 pounds.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Not sure I'd ever do a workout program by someone who says women should never lift more than 3 lbs or they'll get bulky.

Edited to correct that it is 3 lbs not 5 lbs

Not sure I'd trust anyone who tried to make me use heavier than 3 lb weights for those moves. You'd give yourself a concussion or pull your shoulder out of the socket. I use 2 lb weights since the 3 lb seem too heavy to be safe for me in that situation. Certainly when I was using weights for weight lifting, I used much heavier weights (and got very bulky as my arms easily do), but that isn't how they're used in the Tracy Anderson workouts. It isn't a weight lifting workout, obviously. I guess it helps to put the weight instructions in context.

She wasn't just talking about her method though but in general. She also said cycling makes women bulky. I think we probably have a different definition of bulky because "very bulky arms" are like bodybuilder arms and that would be very very difficult for women to achieve.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Not sure I'd ever do a workout program by someone who says women should never lift more than 3 lbs or they'll get bulky.

Lol! She's got some really off the wall ideas...........
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options

Not sure I'd ever do a workout program by someone I could pick up and overhead press.
  • 76Crane76
    76Crane76 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I started watching the method DVD and I have the book to go along with it. I disliked how she only shows the exercise on one side and then goes to the next exercise. You can't exercise along with her you have to pause everything. I'm also one that doesn't care for the silence. I also don't believe in that 3lb 5lb weight thing for women. With all that being said, she does have some really good mat exercises. I sort of like half her stuff and dislike half. I decided to take her moves that I do like (for now) and add them to the other exercises I'm doing. I tried her 15 minute beginner cardio and it was ok. The 2nd in the series, not so much. It's like she's making the moves up as she goes along.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I didn't like the 30-Day Method DVD that came with the book for the same reason. I like a DVD I can follow along with rather than one that just shows the exercises and then you have to pause and do them yourself. The book did explain her method and some of the exercises in a way that was helpful, I thought.

Have you tried the one called The Tracy Anderson Method presents Mat Workout DVD? It's her first DVD (I'm pretty sure), an hour-long workout from 2008 and the one I think is the very best she's made. I found it on Youtube first and then ended up buying it.

As for the 3 lb weight thing, as I mentioned in my post above containing the TA quote, it's untrue and the lie just gets repeated over and over and over again on message boards and blogs around the internet.
  • New_Avatar
    New_Avatar Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have any of you started the program . Am on metamorphosis day 5. Without following the diet prescribed by her though
  • suzefitness
    suzefitness Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I'm using the Tracy Anderson method and am near the end of the first year, where she started using both weights in one hand, which is 6 lbs. So she's not all about 3 lb weights forever. I've been doing this exercise for almost a year and have lost 46 lbs even though I follow my own diet. It's an all over workout which I enjoy and I also add yoga.