Hungry at bedtime or in the middle of the night

Options
Sometimes after having a successful calorie deficit day (in line w/ my Mfp goals), I am hungry at bedtime, or wake up hungry in the middle of the night. Prior to beginning mfp, I would not be hungry at bedtime& never woke up hungry at night.

Do most of you just go to bed hungry, or do you have a snack? I'm not taking about anything big, for instance I would choose something quick and easy: one serving of blueberries, or raw almond butter, or raw almonds, or an apple. Nothing I would have to cut, prep, or cook. Only things I could easily weigh & get back to bed.

And if it is the middle of the night, in which category do you record it? The previous day snack, or the coming day breakfast?

Replies

• amietest
    amietest Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I try to time it so that I have a snack before bed within my calorie count. That said, an apple now and again in the night shouldn't throw you far off, just log it. I log night snacks on the previous day.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    For me, a small glass of milk can take away the bedtime hunger pains.
  • Iheartrunning36
    Iheartrunning36 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    That happens to me too, I drink water and started doing yoga. This may sound silly and I don't know if this is true, but I think learning to be a little hungry is healthy, I journaled my hunger journey and started getting to the bottom of why I was over eating. Now that I am comfortable being hungry I don't binge eat, I plan my meals and some days plan them far a part so I can get a little hungry so Im comfortable with it. Bed time is a time to restore and reset, and in the morning I am never starving to death. Hot tea also helped me in the evenings. Hope you find what works, it's a hard hurdle to get past sometimes. :)
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I get hungry before bed and if I don't eat I wake up in the middle of the night and cant sleep. I plan to eat before bed everynight and have calories set aside for this.
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hello, a hot cup of tea with honey or without, is perfect for a nighttime treat. The hot liquid is soothing and because its hot, you take your time with it, so its like tricking your mind since you're sipping for a while. Also, make sure you drank enough water throughout the day, I noticed that days I didn't drink enough water I am hungrier late at night.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you arnt eating enough. Height and weight?
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I often grab a container of fruit yogurt before bed. Sometimes I'll eat half the container so I can have a piece of toast, too. I've logged in the calories so I know that I'll still be in a calorie deficit for the day.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    always make sure you are not confusing thirst for hunger. are you drinking enough daily water?
  • lexidanko14
    lexidanko14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Try chugging a ton of water because you 1) could be dehydrated or 2) bored. Even put chia seeds in it to fill you up and give you something to chew on. You could also try drinking a hot drink whether it be a hot tea, decaf coffee, or herb/spice latte (I like tumeric lattes myself)
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I get hungry before bed and if I don't eat I wake up in the middle of the night and cant sleep. I plan to eat before bed everynight and have calories set aside for this.

Same here, I like to go to bed with a full happy belly. I save 350 calories for a nice bed time snack, usually greek yogurt with fiber one cereal mixed in and a protein bar. Just celebrated my one year anniversary of successful maintenance after losing 142lbs. I never would have stuck to this process by going to bed hungry every night ;)
  • JimmyRay_Phi
    JimmyRay_Phi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The problem may simply how low of a deficit are you going
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    mom123abc wrote: »
    Sometimes after having a successful calorie deficit day (in line w/ my Mfp goals), I am hungry at bedtime, or wake up hungry in the middle of the night. Prior to beginning mfp, I would not be hungry at bedtime& never woke up hungry at night.

Do most of you just go to bed hungry, or do you have a snack? I'm not taking about anything big, for instance I would choose something quick and easy: one serving of blueberries, or raw almond butter, or raw almonds, or an apple. Nothing I would have to cut, prep, or cook. Only things I could easily weigh & get back to bed.

And if it is the middle of the night, in which category do you record it? The previous day snack, or the coming day breakfast?
    I'm assuming you are here at mfp to lose weight?

If so, the reason you weren't hungry before is simply because you were eating enough to gain weight and, therefore, not be hungry. ;)

I prefer to eat in the evening, so I skip breakfast which allows me to have food later on when I genuinely am hungry. :)

And this:
    The problem may simply how low of a deficit are you going

If you could provide us with some stats (height, current weight, goal weight, daily calorie allotment) we might be able to give you more specific advice. :)
  • EJBarner
    EJBarner Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Meal timing and composition is great for this. I know that protein makes me feel full, and also that I tend to feel hungrier later in the day. So I eat a protein-heavy dinner later at night so I go to bed feeling full and happy. Either that, or I save enough calories to have a protein-heavy snack (like greek yogurt mixed with protein powder) right at the end of the day. If I go to sleep hungry I feel deprived, but I'm just not as hungry in the morning so those calories are better consumed in the evening for me personally.

Everyone is different! Think about what works for you and what doesn't to make you feel full and happy at night, and adjust accordingly. :smile:
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    I ask myself, "Am I really hungry or just a little hungry?" If only a little, and I'm tired, I'll ignore it. If I'm really hungry I'll have a slice of cheese. That quiets the gnawing hunger. If I'm really hungry and try to ignore it, I either won't fall asleep or I'll wake up in the night, starving, so it isn't worth ignoring.