Losing too much too fast

Options
I am really not sure how to slow this train down. I started MFP on June 19th of this year. I started at 160 and five and a half weeks later I am at 147.5. That is about 2.5 pounds a week that I am losing. I seriously don't know how to slow this down. I started at 1200 dropped about 5 pounds the first week. I have slowly been adding more calories to my goal and I keep losing weight too fast. I know that it is weird to complain or worry about this but I don't want to be doing something that is not healthy for me.

Just a little background... I work in a call center, so I sit at a desk all day. I walk on both of my 15 minute breaks and sometimes I squeeze in 10 minutes on my lunch break. I have three kids, so I am usually busy once I get home and after they go to bed, I go to the gym for an hour and typically burn about 300 calories.

I log all of my calories and I use Endemondo to track all of my walking or hiking that I do. I usually eat back all or most of my calories. I am a little confused as to what activity level I should be set at. Suggestions on how many calories I should be consuming, keeping in mind that I log and eat back my calories are welcome.

I am open for suggestions. I don't want to lose weight too fast and I don't want to gain either.

Replies

• flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary so it's hard to tell what is actually going on with you. All I can say though is I wish I had this issue!
  • LisaUlrey
    LisaUlrey Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary so it's hard to tell what is actually going on with you. All I can say though is I wish I had this issue!

I have an open diary.
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have an open diary.

check your profile settings, because it's not open to everyone - maybe it's only open to your friends list.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    It's quite common to lose quite a few pounds the first week. If you lost 5 lb in the first week then you lost 7.5lb in the remaining 4 weeks. That is just less than 2lb a week which isn't a huge amount per week, depending on how much you have to lose. If you have a lot to lose you may well lose it a bit quicker at the beginning and then slow down as you have less to lose.

If you are uncomfortable losing this much each week, or you don't have a great deal to lose and want to slow down, try increasing your activity level to 'lightly active'. If you are running around after kids you may be burning more than you think.

I wouldn't worry too much but eating a little more should help slow it down.

Please open your diary so we can see it. Someone may be able to make some suggestions.

Congrats on the weight loss :flowerforyou:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It will probably slow down. Enjoy it! Or eat a little bit more every day to slow it down.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I have an open diary.

check your profile settings, because it's not open to everyone - maybe it's only open to your friends list.

Just tried looking....it's not open to everyone. I can't see it either.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I've been losing 2lb a week (apart from one week I lost 4lb, but I wasn't eating much that week) which is a healthy amount to loose, so unless you want to loose weight slowly, I wouldn't worry about it. If you don't want to loose weight as quickly you may need to up your calorie intake.
  • LisaUlrey
    Options
    I have an open diary.

Just tried looking....it's not open to everyone. I can't see it either.

Sorry everyone! Should be able to see it now. :)
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! Would you mind posting how tall you are? Everyone is different, hopefully it's just a matter of finding a number that works well for you!! I was losing weight before I joined MFP and my first few week were crazy. 5 lbs, 4 lbs . . . Now I've leveled off ~2 lbs. per week and I bet next month that going to fall off to 1.5 /week.

I would call that level of activity Light instead of sedentary. I would set it at sedentary if I had a desk job and only intended to lose weight with diet alone. But I don't know what you have it set at now.

Anyway, Good Luck!
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    No, it's still only open to friends.
  • LisaUlrey
    Options
    I know what you mean! Would you mind posting how tall you are? Everyone is different, hopefully it's just a matter of finding a number that works well for you!! I was losing weight before I joined MFP and my first few week were crazy. 5 lbs, 4 lbs . . . Now I've leveled off ~2 lbs. per week and I bet next month that going to fall off to 1.5 /week.

I would call that level of activity Light instead of sedentary. I would set it at sedentary if I had a desk job and only intended to lose weight with diet alone. But I don't know what you have it set at now.

Anyway, Good Luck!

I am 5'1"
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing fine, it won't stay that fast. I say carry on, it will slow down soon on it's own
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    I wouldn't get too concerned with 2.5 pounds per week.
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    You would naturally lose weight quicker in your first couple of months. In my first 2 months I lost 24lbs starting at 244lbs. Since then it's slowed right down to 1-2lbs a week.

Don't worry man, it'll slow down and you're doing nothing wrong. It's all fine :)
  • HeavenlyBri
    Options
    Just three weeks ago you were worried about a plateau and now you're concerned that you're losing too fast? Give your body some time to adjust and look at the overall trend, not just week to week gains/losses.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Still not open to everyone...sorry.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    It is very common for the early weight to come off quite quickly. I have lost 26 pounds in just under two months. I am not undereating for my goals. And I know it will slow down shortly, which is also fine. In the meantime, I am just enjoying it - it's very motivating in these early days to see my efforts paying off. Don't borrow trouble - everything's fine. As long as you're taking in what you need, your body will adjust.
  • LisaUlrey
    Options
    Still not open to everyone...sorry.

o_O Sorry. Open now
  • mccaen1
    mccaen1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Don't change a thing.
    Success is a strong argument for keeping up the good work, depending upon how much you want to lose.

Mine went from losing 6 pounds at 1st, with a very active weight loss start-up, to now 6 weeks later I'm losing only a pound a week.

It will probably be less soon, unless there is something wrong, or you go past your weight loss goal. Just pay attention and don't worry.

Paying attention is half the battle. Worry is what to ignore.

Good luck, & keep up the good work.

-Bob