Fitbit Steps + Daily Calorie Intake = ?

Options
So... MFP, with all the info I entered, has me set to eat 1200 cal per day. I assume MFP is factoring in less than 10,000 steps per day to create said deficit. Would that be right to assume? So far today I only have 2,800 steps... but it's counting that as 350 extra calories (that I can eat) with my deficit? Is this right? Does that make sense? Can I actually eat what it's telling me to, or should I stay with my 1200 cals?

Obviously, if I'm working out... I'm going to eat more than 1200 calories. I am mainly sedentary, so the extra calories makes a huge difference to me.

Help!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    So... MFP, with all the info I entered, has me set to eat 1200 cal per day. I assume MFP is factoring in less than 10,000 steps per day to create said deficit. Would that be right to assume? So far today I only have 2,800 steps... but it's counting that as 350 extra calories (that I can eat) with my deficit? Is this right? Does that make sense? Can I actually eat what it's telling me to, or should I stay with my 1200 cals?

Obviously, if I'm working out... I'm going to eat more than 1200 calories. I am mainly sedentary, so the extra calories makes a huge difference to me.

Help!

1. You told MFP you wanted to lose weight.
    2. You told MFP you were sedentary (about 3,000 steps).
    3. MFP did not assume you would exercise.

What syncing an activity tracker does is compares your stated activity against your actual activity and then gives you credit for the difference. So YES, you are expected to eat more. 1200 is based on sedentary and no exercise, it's also a default minimum based on "I want to lose xx pounds per week."

So far today........the thing to keep in mind is your FitBit is on a 24 hour clock. Your calorie count (it's not just exercise) started at 12:01 a.m. You burned calories in your sleep and your FitBit may be playing catch up. Also, if you are active in the a.m. and inactive at night......those 350 calories may disappear by midnight. Give it a few days to get used to timing. But yeah, many people eat back most of their FitBit calories and still lose weight at the intended rate.

Look for "negative calorie adjustments." This is a setting that would take calories away for inactive days.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Help!

What syncing an activity tracker does is compares your stated activity against your actual activity and then gives you credit for the difference. So YES, you are expected to eat more. 1200 is based on sedentary and no exercise, it's also a default minimum based on "I want to lose xx pounds per week."

So far today........the thing to keep in mind is your FitBit is on a 24 hour clock. Your calorie count (it's not just exercise) started at 12:01 a.m. You burned calories in your sleep and your FitBit may be playing catch up. Also, if you are active in the a.m. and inactive at night......those 350 calories may disappear by midnight. Give it a few days to get used to timing. But yeah, many people eat back most of their FitBit calories and still lose weight at the intended rate.

Look for "negative calorie adjustments." This is a setting that would take calories away for inactive days.

Thank you! I know I probably sounds like an idiot, but I appreciate the help!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Help!

Thank you! I know I probably sounds like an idiot, but I appreciate the help!

Not at all, lots of people ask FitBit questions....you're welcome