Losing weight, gaining spider veins?

Options
Hello all,

I'm about 25lb from goal and firming up pretty nicely, but one thing I've noticed is that all Hell is being played with my skin– particularly in my legs– in regards to veining. I started developing spider veins around puberty (I've had one on my thigh that I don't even remember NOT having, it's been there so long) but it seems like either I've suddenly developed a ton of new clusters overnight or I've been completely oblivious to them developing until now. They're all the bruise-looking type at least (I squick the Hell out over bulging veins, bodybuilder or varicose-style), so, small comfort there.

I'm not really bothered by them, I'm just wondering why I'm seeing them at 170lb and not 191lb. It's also entirely possible that they've been there for months but I've only noticed because, as it's summer, I'm not wearing leggings under my skirts for the first time since last September and am crazy pale aside from my ankles and the tops of my feet.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I have bad varicose veins, they got worse after losing a few pounds
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    At 191 they were buried in fat. Now there is less fat so they are more visible Weight loss does not cause spider veins.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Just tell people you were drunk at the tattoo parlor and got this weird vein-like ink job.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, that's a genetic issue. There surgeries you can do to reduce their visibility, but that's usually what it's going to take.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png[/quote]
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Several years ago I lost 100 lbs. I went to the doctor because I developed a huge varicose vein in my upper thigh/groin area. I was told it was quite normal in people who lose a large amount of weight...that basically, all the fat was supporting your veins and now it's not anymore. That is NOT something that I ever expected. That was the beginning...many more varicose and spider veins developed over time. Regaining most of the weight (sadly) didn't fix it either, not that I did that on purpose. I'm just hoping that all the damage that will be done has been done as I'm on my way back down the scale for the second time.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't think weight loss would cause spider veins, but less fat can make them more visible - especially to you if you're being hyper-critical. You can have them removed by laser, but might want to wait until winter as you can't get ANY sun on them for 60 days after treatment.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I think they're exacerbated by Vitamin K deficiency, but I'm not positive. Feel free to "woo" me if I'm wrong.

It could just be you're more active and on your feet and have a bit of workout swelling, making them more noticeable, though.