Calorie math

Options
So there is 3500 calories in a lb/pound to my understanding so.....

- If all I ate was (not literally but for arguments sake) 1500 calories of salad a day then wouldn't I lose the exact same amount over a month if all I ate was 1500 calories of chocolate a day over a month?

Obviously salad has basically no fat and chocolate is full of fat but I can't get my head around it if the same sound of calories are consumed

Replies

• mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Yes, calories are calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

- If all I ate was (not literally but for arguments sake) 1500 calories of salad a day then wouldn't I lose the exact same amount over a month if all I ate was 1500 calories of chocolate a day over a month?

Obviously salad has basically no fat and chocolate is full of fat but I can't get my head around it if the same sound of calories are consumed

Yes, calories are calories regardless if their macros

And fat doesn't make you fat.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Calories are just a way to measure energy. They don't let us know how much fat or protein or carbohydrate is in a food.

So if you ate 1,500 calories of anything, it would be the same in calories as 1,500 calories of something else.

Weight loss is created by a calorie deficit. When we're choosing what to eat, we can consider the calories as well as our macro- and micronutrient needs, how filling we find various foods, and what we like to eat. When you find a balance between all these, life feels pretty awesome!
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I got hung up on this in the beginning. I had to separate healthy from losing weight. For instance, I would eat healthy foods in abundance - i.e. nuts/avocados and wasn't losing weight, and that's because I was taking in more than what I was burning. You can gain weight eating healthy foods, and lose weight eating foods that aren't that healthy. To lose weight you need a deficit.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    And now we wait for someone to come along and argue that not all calories have the same effect on an individual's body. They're slow today.

They don't. Different macronutrients react very differently in the body. Eating 4,000 calories of protein and eating 4,000 calories of fat would have drastically different effects on the body and the amount of weight loss. The difference in calories could be up to a 800 calorie difference in the two (yes very dramatic) situations I gave above.

Even if this were true (which it is not for any noobs reading this) How great do you suppose this difference would be on 1500 calories once you hit adequate protein and fats... what do you have like 400 cals to play with? lol
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options

Fairly close, weight-wise. There's probably a tiny difference in TEF - basically, the body processing it takes to digest & use the energy in those two specific foods - but it's pretty inconsequential. (The difference might be bigger if one of the foods were high protein, but it's still a fraction of the total.)

The larger point is that both of those would be a *baby-feline* way to eat for a month, even though you may think one is a "good" food and the other a "bad" one. Good and bad, healthy and unhealthy - those are mostly relevant to a total way of eating, not just a single food.

Calories are key for weight loss. Nutrition is key for health (along with healthy weight, among other things). Eat enough protein, eat enough healthy fats, get plenty of nice fruits'n'veggies for micronutrients and fiber, hit close to the right calorie level to achieve/maintain a healthy weight, have the occasional indulgent treat for joy when it fits in, get some fun exercise regularly to become/stay physically fit, and you'll be fine.

No stress, no drama. ;)
  • mandybullock2015
    mandybullock2015 Posts: 19 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Thankyou to every single persons reply (: my question has been answered (: all very informative and interesting! Thanks!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    And now we wait for someone to come along and argue that not all calories have the same effect on an individual's body. They're slow today.

They don't. Different macronutrients react very differently in the body. Eating 4,000 calories of protein and eating 4,000 calories of fat would have drastically different effects on the body and the amount of weight loss. The difference in calories could be up to a 800 calorie difference in the two (yes very dramatic) situations I gave above.

Even if this were true (which it is not for any noobs reading this) How great do you suppose this difference would be on 1500 calories once you hit adequate protein and fats... what do you have like 400 cals to play with? lol

You're both mathematically wrong. The TEF for protein is 30%, so 4000 calories of protein delivers as much energy to the body for storage as 2800 calories of fat. That's a 1200 calorie difference.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    @JeromeBarry1, do you happen to know what the TEF is for the other macros?

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7mMyv3mCJc

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »
    @JeromeBarry1, do you happen to know what the TEF is for the other macros?

I'm not Jerome, but:

It's not exact per real-world macro anyway. Various factors count (types of carbs, types of fats, etc.), and they're all mixed up in whole foods. I can't give you exact details, though, having already decided that worry about this in real life isn't worth the brainshare. I just try to get solid protein, and lots of fiber-containing one-ingredient foods, for best odds on decent TEF within more important nutritional and calorie goals.

YMMV, and others will argue. ;)
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options

You're both mathematically wrong. The TEF for protein is 30%, so 4000 calories of protein delivers as much energy to the body for storage as 2800 calories of fat. That's a 1200 calorie difference.

Well fat has a thermic effect too. Which would be 5-15%. Call it 10%, which makes it 3600-2800= would you look at that, 800.