Cool cardio

Options
jennybearlv
jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
I live in a fairly cool climate, but these past weeks have gotten unbearable and my walking and cycling activity has fallen off. I don't belong to a gym, and don't really enjoy anything stationary anyways. I have discovered a free place to swim in town, but it's not giving me the same calorie burns I'm used to eating back. The mall is far and kinda small, so I don't do that much. Any suggestions for activities to beat the heat would be appreciated.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Walking style workouts on YouTube.....Leslie Sansone or Jessica Smith.

https://www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia

http://jessicasmithtv.com/videos/walking-workouts/

These come on DVD too, check your local library. DVD options may include - chaptering (skip to favorite "mile") and music only - great when the banter is too much.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I live in the desert and it gets hot as a mo-fo here...I'm not really a morning person, but in the summer I get my *kitten* up and on my bike in the morning as the alternative is baking in 100*+ temperatures later.

I'm not a big fan of the whole getting up part, but once I'm on my bike it's a pretty wonderful thing...fresh, cool morning breeze, sunrise, etc...and I generally feel great the rest of the day. By the time late fall rolls around and I have to start riding later in the day, I kind of miss it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Swimming laps is usually a good calorie burn...
    Do you like doing videos at home? 30 day shred, Ripped in 30, Turbo Jam, T25, exerciseTV, Jessica Smith, fitsugar...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I bicycled for an hour in 98 degree humidity Saturday. I carried a liter of water and drank about half of it. It's survivable.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Unbearably hot, I presume you mean. Shed the heavy clothing and go for it, I say. Go early and go often. (Or walk after dark, some people like that.)

Swimming burns lots of calories, but you need to develop your stroke(s) with a coach, preferably.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    HIIT YouTube videos. That and walking early in the morning or late at night.
  • jennybearlv
    Options
    I don't really like videos. I get bored easily being stuck in one place. I got up at 6 this morning, managed to get out by 8 and it was not only hot, but humid from the playa flooding over winter and just now getting serious about evaporating. I was miserable. I'm on a med that can screw up heat tolerance so I'm assuming that's my problem. I'm pretty unhappy over 80 degrees or 30 percent humidity. So I guess I'm looking for something in AC where I'm not stuck in one spot. I looked for ice skating rinks, because that was awesome when I lived in Vegas, but they are seasonal here. I did find roller skating. There is an adult skate Sunday night I'm going to try out. Any other fun indoor activities you all do?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Zumba, jazzercize, line dancing?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Since you go to the pool have you tried aqua fit?
    I used it for my first exercise as I was so unfit and could take it at my own pace.
    Now I am fit I will quite often do it instead of being out doors in the heat. The difference is I really can put a lot into it and get a much better burn.
    Higher jumps, lower lunges and squats, and faster runs. It is what you put into it. It can also be a varied and fun bunch of folks.

Cheers, h.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I don't really like videos. I get bored easily being stuck in one place. I got up at 6 this morning, managed to get out by 8 and it was not only hot, but humid from the playa flooding over winter and just now getting serious about evaporating. I was miserable. I'm on a med that can screw up heat tolerance so I'm assuming that's my problem. I'm pretty unhappy over 80 degrees or 30 percent humidity. So I guess I'm looking for something in AC where I'm not stuck in one spot. I looked for ice skating rinks, because that was awesome when I lived in Vegas, but they are seasonal here. I did find roller skating. There is an adult skate Sunday night I'm going to try out. Any other fun indoor activities you all do?

Ice skating is my go to. I love summer skating.

Try the aqueous aerobics someone suggested if you have pool access. I do videos. you can find some that are good although today I couldn't and ended up running in the hear and humidity here.
  • jennybearlv
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »

Try the aqueous aerobics someone suggested if you have pool access. I do videos. you can find some that are good although today I couldn't and ended up running in the hear and humidity here.

Not really pool access. We have an old gravel pit that the city filled with water and opened for swimming and kayaking. I enjoy it much more than pool swimming. I've never been able to stick with pool swimming. No classes though. I'm more of a solitary go at my own pace kind of person anyways.
  • AliNouveau
    Options

Not really pool access. We have an old gravel pit that the city filled with water and opened for swimming and kayaking. I enjoy it much more than pool swimming. I've never been able to stick with pool swimming. No classes though. I'm more of a solitary go at my own pace kind of person anyways.

What a out kayaking guess you'd have to go at a good steady pace. The roller rink sounds like a fun idea
  • jennybearlv
    Options

What a out kayaking guess you'd have to go at a good steady pace. The roller rink sounds like a fun idea

You don't know how long I've been trying to talk my husband into getting kayaks. I'm an hour from Tahoe. It's sacrilege not to own a kayak in these parts. I think I need to increase my pestering, because fighting for a parking spot at the lake does feel worth it this week.
  • AliNouveau
    Options

You don't know how long I've been trying to talk my husband into getting kayaks. I'm an hour from Tahoe. It's sacrilege not to own a kayak in these parts. I think I need to increase my pestering, because fighting for a parking spot at the lake does feel worth it this week.

Can you rent at first so he sees how awesome they are
  • jennybearlv
    Options

Can you rent at first so he sees how awesome they are

We have and they are. He just keeps telling me I already got a bike for my birthday and he does have a point. I think I could talk him into renting kayaks again. They are fun as long as we don't share. He flipped the tandem kayak first time. Not cool.

I've found an indoor trampoline park and indoor climbing gym. Is indoor climbing more of a cardio or strength workout? Can grownups go to the trampoline park by themselves or is that just creepy?

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Totally biased here, but give the climbing gym a go. I was just thinking of looking into trying one that is why it is a biased reply.
    I would say it probably is not a big calorie burn, but it will do wonders for strength, flexability, and balance.
    Is it something that would benefit you in you daily life?
    Same with the trampoline, never been to a trampoline park so can't comment on lone adult appropriateness, but is it something you would enjoy?

Trying to find something to do where it is cool that burns enough calories may not be possible.
    Have you thought of splitting the difference?
    Lower your weekly goal by .5 lbs or so, so you can workout within the parameters you already have, but still eat at the calorie level you enjoy.

Cheers, h.
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    The climbing gym sounds super cool and fun. I'm sure I've seen adults when we've been to the trampoline park. Perhaps look and see if they have organized times for adults? I'm pretty sure they are usually so busy no one would notice. I usually sit at the side and observe since I get motion sick on trampolines...never got this until after I had the boy....darn kids