zero cal foods, count them or no?

Options
nykole56
nykole56 Posts: 21 Member
So I keep seeing these lists of zero or negative calorie fruits and veggies and my question is do I even count them or not? You know the ones it says takes more energy to chew the food them it has calories..,what's everyone's opinion?

Replies

• sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You count them.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    They still have calories. I even log my vitamins the days I take them and they have no listed calories.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    If I enter a food and it gives me 0 calories ( ex: Pam spray or certain sugar free sweeteners) I'll do a quick add 5 calories. If you enter any fruits or veggies in the database, none of them come in at 0.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    There is no such thing as a negative calorie food. Zero calorie foods don't actually exist either, but if a food had less than 5 calories per the serving on the package the manufacturer can label it as zero calories. If I want to know the actual calorie value of a cup of coffee or a pickle I can look it up on the USDA database. It will give you the calories per 100 grams so you can weigh your food, do the math, and get the real calorie count. Many foods from the USDA database are already in MFP. Just type in the food plus USDA and it will come up, like "pickle usda". Whether or not you want to count 15 calories of black coffee over the whole day is up to you.
    *edit cuz I can't type on my phone
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Those lists are complete BS. There's no zero calorie foods. Don't fall for the nonsense unless you like seeing the numbers on the scale increase.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Yes you still log them as their normal food entry, not some zero calorie or "negative" made up entry. The body supposedly burns 15-18% of the calories from protein I eat just processing it. That does NOT mean that I get those back or deduct them in any way. People nit picking their diets to that degree are making the whole weight loss thing way too complicated. Those sort of calculations probably aren't even needed for olympic athletes.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Even if the food is negligible in calories, there are other important bits of info, like sodium, carbs etc. I track everything so I can see the whole picture at the end of the day.
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Negative calories is bs. I even count things like diet pepsi and splenda HA
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    The only non-calorie things I have are coke zero and water and I don't bother logging either of those things.

..and even Coke Zero has around 3 calories per liter.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I track Coke Zero because I track the sodium under my micros. Splenda packs are not zero calories they are 4 calories each. Pam is not zero call, it's 4 calories per half second spray, etc.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Negative calories mean that when I eat that food it actually takes energy out of my body. Lmao
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    rmgnow wrote: »
    Negative calories mean that when I eat that food it actually takes energy out of my body. Lmao

Heh, pretty much. There's this silly list going around stating that some foods, mostly fruit and veg, use more calories to digest than they contribute to the body. Trouble is, it's hogwash. The body is very efficient at digesting and it takes nowhere near as many calories to digest a number of things than it adds to your count.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    rmgnow wrote: »

Heh, pretty much. There's this silly list going around stating that some foods, mostly fruit and veg, use more calories to digest than they contribute to the body. Trouble is, it's hogwash. The body is very efficient at digesting and it takes nowhere near as many calories to digest a number of things than it adds to your count.

Someone just listed paper towels (along with bread and spaghetti) on a "what the heck is a carb" thread today. LOL. I bet those are negative calorie!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about paper towels, or iceberg lettuce, or celery. not counting them is likely not going to cause harm... unless you're soaking/covering the towels in Karo, or the iceberg in ranch, or the celery in Peanut butter.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If it's negligible in any reasonable quantity and doesn't have any nutrients I bother to track, then I don't count them. So, pretty much lettuce (which is like 1 calorie-ish per leaf) - I consider it free volume/bulk for the stuff going on it. Most fruits aren't negligible. A lot of vegetables aren't either. Stuff that is <5 calories that you don't consume often during the day - sugar-free water flavor drops, gum (not wise if you have like >20 a day though). Oil spray that doesn't register to 1 gram on the scale (yes- you really can use the <0.5g in spray form that is quoted on the label)(most <$20 scales only have 1 gram resolution).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    nykole56 wrote: »
    So I keep seeing these lists of zero or negative calorie fruits and veggies and my question is do I even count them or not? You know the ones it says takes more energy to chew the food them it has calories..,what's everyone's opinion?

There are no zero/negative calorie foods. Track everything you consume if your goal is weight loss. (if negative calorie foods really existed you could starve to death while eating a bushel of apples a day.......)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    nykole56 wrote: »

This is a myth. Celery & lettuce comes close, but they are still not negative calories.

Fruits & veggies are great, but measure and log everything.